Is the Bachelor of Information Technology right for me? (1 Viewer)

teanido

HSC
N/A
I've been reading that you need to participate in a lot of extra-curricular activities in order to stand a chance of getting an offer...

Well, sadly my school doesn't offer much non-academic extra-curricular activities other than the SRC. So I'm not 100% sure what to do, are there any ways to increase my participation? I'm probably looking at a UAI of around 95+.

I'm thinking maybe going to the local charity and helping out with community service, but then looking at the first question of the questionnaire I would still have it blank.

Also I've looked at the B Sci IT/Dip IT Pro Prac, how different is this to the Bachelor of IT?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i think it would be good if your extra-curriculars focussed on IT-related activities. for example, periods of work experience at IT industry, or maybe you design websites in your spare time, or build computers etc.

HSC
I had a friend who didn't have much extra curricular activities at school, had ok-ish marks (enough to get in obviously, but not super duper high 99+) BUT had heaps of real life IT experience (he had a small IT business) and got into that course. so yeah, I would think that IT experience would help.

Try asking your school if you can help with their school webpage or something (or build it if they don't have one ;) ) - that would be awesome IT extra curricular type work experience I would think.

ztrask02

Professional Expert
HSC
For the BIT course, I don't think that they are looking for the people who necessarily have the most (or even any) IT experience. For example, look at the pre-reqs for the course - Maths and Adv English are advised... but is there any mention of IT, IPT, Software design etc?

The BIT course is focused on delivering primarily managers to the IT industry. This is why the course has so much of a business focus. It is also why it is shorter than the BscIT course - the technical side of BIT is covered in less detail.
Thus, the so called 'super-nerds' who are disappointed by not making BIT may have been dealt a favour in disguise, as they can now pursue their interests more fully in the BscIT course.

For those who still want to consider a BIT course, I have found similar courses at RMIT and Melbourne Uni (both located in Melbourne), Canberra, the Gold Coast, Queensland, UNSW and Macquarie Uni.

quesera

HSC
I think the fact that some of you guys didn't get in goes to show that they are looking for well-rounded people interested in studying IT and have huge management potential.

I am possibly the least technical IT person I know but I do a bit of stuff outside academic/IT-related work and got in easy. I don't mean to sound harsh to the person who started this thread but if you don't do anything, you would be hard pressed to get in. I would definitely advise you to start doing some extra activities, such as Debating, Duke of Ed, YAA, sports, etc. Even help organise school events like your formal, a charity event, anything to show your management potential.

m1nx

HSC
quesera said:
I think the fact that some of you guys didn't get in goes to show that they are looking for well-rounded people interested in studying IT and have huge management potential.

I am possibly the least technical IT person I know but I do a bit of stuff outside academic/IT-related work and got in easy. I don't mean to sound harsh to the person who started this thread but if you don't do anything, you would be hard pressed to get in. I would definitely advise you to start doing some extra activities, such as Debating, Duke of Ed, YAA, sports, etc. Even help organise school events like your formal, a charity event, anything to show your management potential.
Hurrah! Props to you, because that is definitely the type of person they are looking for! (Not to mention that "least technical IT person I know" describes me pretty well :p)

I am currently working at IBM BCS on my industry semester - with tomorrow being the "official" last day! - where I have been lucky enough to be working with one of the two ex- UTS B.ITs in management roles (and rising!) at 22 years old.

The previous years have been very Information Systems and business-minded people (i.e. excellent communicators, interested in both business and IT), and whilst the application numbers have declined since the boom years ago, it is this particular type of candidate they are ideally looking for in the B.IT course.

The reason as to why such extracurriculars is highly regarded is because that this demonstrates your ability to work in a team, the fact that you are willing and able to extend further than what you are required to (i.e. initiative!), that you are a good communicator, etc - all of which are essential to being a good leader, in the IT industry as well as in general.

It also shows that you are a well-rounded person who can potentially be one mean party animal. Implicit requirement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)