Is the Bible reliable? (1 Viewer)

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Can someone PLEASE lock this topic before we get into OLOLZ CHRISTIANZ R GAY

lengy

HSC
As much as BJ is a OLOLZ CHRISTIAN, do we need another bible thread?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
11 When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: 12 Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her. Deuteronomy 25:11-12

1 He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord. 2 A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord. Deuteronomy 21:1

You be the judge

lengy

HSC
Yeah Deuteronomy is pretty much a joke of a chapter.

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
It's about as Reliable as Harry Potter. You can believe in it but......

Helpme!!!!!!!

HSC
N/A
Did you think about the fact that the bible is actually the most historically accurate religious text?

Maybe you don't believe it but you can't ignore the plain, plain facts...

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC
Helpme!!!!!!! said:
Did you think about the fact that the bible is actually the most historically accurate religious text?

Well if you don't belive it then they are hardly facts. There just nice little stories like Harry Potter

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
lengy said:
No.

It'll just be the target for ridicule by the athiest members of this forum.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Helpme!!!!!!! said:

Have you ever seen those books or movies that are based on a true story... how accurate are those? Not very. The bible is the same deal.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
lengy said:
I'm actually more agnostic than a Christian, as I believe the Bible is mostly rubbish but feel closer to a Christian god than the ideas of other religions.
But hey, if you feel the need to put others down for your own sake then you go girl!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
bazookajoe said:
I'm actually more agnostic than a Christian, as I believe the Bible is mostly rubbish but feel closer to a Christian god than the ideas of other religions.
But hey, if you feel the need to put others down for your own sake then you go girl!
Lengy just ... really doesn't like non-atheists, it actually reminds me of the sort of mindless hate those obsessed with a religion have for those not a part of their religion. Personally, my atheism doesn't lend its self very well to the idea that those with different beliefs to mine are just stupid and wrong - I think it should be all about seeing the shades of grey there are in the world and sort of be the natural progression of agnosticism.

Last edited:

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
Is the Bible reliable?
Yes it is.

The copies are so accurate that all of the biblical documents are 98.5% textually pure. The 1.5% that is in question is mainly nothing more than spelling errors and occasional word omissions like the words "the", "but", etc. This reduces any serious textual issues to a fraction of the 1.5% and none of these copying errors affects doctrinal truths.

Until the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls in the 1940's, the oldest extant copy of any Old Testament writings were the Masoretic Text dated around 916 AD. When the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, a complete copy of Isaiah was found. Its date was 125 BC. The difference in dates between the oldest copy and the newly discovered Isaiah document was 1000 years. This provided a pristine opportunity to judge the copying accuracy of the Old Testament documents since it would be easily discernable which errors crept in over 1000 years. The documents proved to be 95% textually identical. The 5 percent that was different were mainly misspellings of words and did not constitute any threat to the content or reliability of the text. This shows how accurately it was transmitted.

If the critics of the Bible want to disregard it because some of the copies of the documents are not perfectly identical, then they must also throw out other ancient writings which are no where near as well preserved as the biblical documents (Caesar, Plato, and Aristotle etc.)

The New Testament documents fall into three categories: 1) Greek manuscript copies, 2) other language copies, and 3) citations in early church writings. The NT was written in Greek and we have more than 5000 different Greek Manuscripts from which to compare. Additionally, there are another 19,000 manuscripts of ancient origin that are translations. That is, we have 19,000 manuscripts of the New Testament in Latin, ..... And finally, all of the NT (except for 11 verses) can be reconstructed from quotes of early church writings. It is very well preserved.

The New Testament is more reliable/accurate in it's copies than texts by Caesar, Plato, and Aristotle. Interesting eh...

http://www.carm.org/demo2/bible/reliable.htm
this page is where i got the info from and it has a really good table summarising the reliablilty of the New Testament in comparison to other historical texts. It's amazing.

Last edited:

lengy

HSC
i don't 'hate' non-atheists. i tolerate their non-atheism though, much like i tolerate lebs jacking my cars.

Tiani for the lulz. :D

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
lengy said:
i don't 'hate' non-atheists. i tolerate their non-atheism though, much like i tolerate lebs jacking my cars.

Tiani for the lulz. :D
:wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)