Is the flame colour due to the metal ion or the anion present? Why? (1 Viewer)

Nyo

Om nom noming unnom'ables
HSC
N/A
• perform first-hand investigations to carry out a range of tests, including flame tests, to identify the following ions: phosphate; sulfate; carbonate; chloride; barium; calcium; lead; copper; iron.

Hey guys ^^; I would appreciate it if someone could explain this question for me:

<!--[if !supportLists]-->[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]<!--[endif]-->Is the flame colour due to the metal ion or the anion present? Why?

I know that it is metal ions that are present. But why not anions?

And.. If possible could someone give me an additional identifying test for Pb2+?

Thanks in advance ^^

Last edited:

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Flame tests can only be used to test for cations.

Hmm, there is a table that shows the different colours of cations in flame. I guess the other ones can be tested by precipitation, or AAS.

Nyo

HSC
N/A
minijumbuk said:
Flame tests can only be used to test for cations.

Hmm, there is a table that shows the different colours of cations in flame. I guess the other ones can be tested by precipitation, or AAS.
I see ^^; So we can use AAS to test Pb too? Thanks for the response :shy:

Btw I love your siganture! Made me laugh so much ^^
Boo Kira

L <3 FTW!

EVERYONE WATCH Death note: L, Change the World!

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
No, you definately can. It is one of the methods used to test toxicity levels of water samples from rivers containing lead and other heavy metals etc

undalay

HSC
Nobody actually answered the question.
Why doesn't heating anions have flames/colours?

Something to do with valence shell filled, thus no other electrons are able to reach an excited energy level? I have no idea, just speculating

Nyo

HSC
N/A
AH! Thank you so much everyone ^_^
I've gained a better understanding :3

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I'm not that convinced. Sodium is NOT a transition metal. Still it gives the intense yellow colour! And I think potassium gives faint purple.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
It all depends on relative energy gaps of filled and unfilled orbitals. Most metals (incl. Na, K, Ca, Sr, Ba) have energy gaps of filled and unfilled orbitals correspond to the energy of a photon, that is in the visible EMR range.

Anions are usually not visible as the energy gap do not correspond to that of a visible photon.

Pb2+, if I recall correctly, gives a pale purple colour. But the lead vapour emitted, as I heard, can be quite detrimental to human health (or so I heard). Therefore Pb flame test is not done in school. That been said, they can still be detected with AAS.

Theroetically, you can use the same method on anions. But it was never (not in AAS that I know of) nor in flame (since their energy gap is not that of a visible range).

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
xiao1985 said:
It all depends on relative energy gaps of filled and unfilled orbitals. Most metals (incl. Na, K, Ca, Sr, Ba) have energy gaps of filled and unfilled orbitals correspond to the energy of a photon, that is in the visible EMR range.

Anions are usually not visible as the energy gap do not correspond to that of a visible photon.

Pb2+, if I recall correctly, gives a pale purple colour. But the lead vapour emitted, as I heard, can be quite detrimental to human health (or so I heard). Therefore Pb flame test is not done in school. That been said, they can still be detected with AAS.

Theroetically, you can use the same method on anions. But it was never (not in AAS that I know of) nor in flame (since their energy gap is not that of a visible range).
Yeah I wrote something like that as my HSC response last year that using a flame test on Pb was dangerous because it is a heavy and toxic metal.
+1 mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)