Is the HSC just a "memory game"? (1 Viewer)

Is the HSC just a "memory game"??

• Agree

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Disagree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partially agree/disagree

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

ForbiddenND

HSC
Most if not all subjects are basically just a memory game. You memorize stuff which you need to know and then just regurgitate it onto the examination paper. In other words if you got a good memory you will do good. This is my opinion so don't flame me :mad1:.

Agree/Disagree??

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Most if not all subjects are basically just a memory game. You memorize stuff which you need to know and then just regurgitate it onto the examination paper. In other words if you got a good memory you will do good. This is my opinion so don't flame me :mad1:.

Agree/Disagree??
I agree to a degree... like you need memory, but you also need to have a good understanding of the content, like you could memorize a whole textbook for say Economics, but you still wont get a Band 6 if you dont understand stuff in the book.

Also only memory doesn't apply to all subjects.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Some parts yes, other parts no. You can't do well in HSC by completely memorising everything.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
A good memory, combined with strong literary skills will get you through majority of your subjects. Exspecially the ones which are defintion based, like Business Studies.

ForbiddenND

HSC
In the most part, yes.

But you still have to be able to produce the content in a suitable manner. If you can't write an essay, you are going to do poorly, regardless of how much knowledge you have. Whilst there is a fair bit that goes purely into a rote learning during the HSC level, all your standard essay subjects expect that writing ability to shine through.

True but you can prewrite like 10 essays and then just memorize them. You can usually tell what qs will most likely be asked just before you ask.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
I dont think so. You can have the best memory and fail at subjects like eco/phys/maths/eng.

jet

Banned
HSC
Bit of skill, bit of luck, bit of knowledge, bit of understanding.
You couldn't really do well in music without being able to play an instrument to a reasonable degree, just like in 4u maths luck plays a part of it. Though subjects like biology require alot of knowledge, which obviously must be memorised. There are alot of factors.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
I dont think so. You can have the best memory and fail at subjects like eco/phys/maths/eng.
phys eco is all memorising, ur a highschool kid, its not expected of you to demonstrate real skills

maths is all about the number of questions you've done, memorise conventional question types

english is about more approach, u still need to memorise stuff however

dp624

HSC
a lot of skill goes with the memorising
so partly agree

tku336

HSC
I dont think its possible to memorise much for my subjects ...

As much as people try, you can't really memorise essays for histories or english or economics. All you can try and do is memorise facts, but they give marks on the overall quality of work, and having more facts/quotes/details isnt guaranteed to get you a better mark.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree and disagree...for example, in 4U Maths you can't get a good mark just by memorising theory from the textbook - you need to put those things into practice and understand them.

HSC
I agree and disagree...for example, in 4U Maths you can't get a good mark just by memorising theory from the textbook - you need to put those things into practice and understand them.
+1.
It's the same for other subjects such as chemistry too.

carlytse621

HSC
party agree/disagree......

English and business are "memory game"...you have to remember all these quotes for all my texts (that's heaps!!!!):mad1: and business case study :mad1:

But for other subjects like science and maths, you need to understand the context in order to achieve a good mark, not by memory~

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Although a lot of maths is based on memorising formulas and question types.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
It all depends on the subject; in some you can rote learn whereas some others require problem solving.

missgraceful

What a joke..
HSC
Yes and no.
I'm sure memorising every dot point of the syllabus would produce a good result. However there is more to the HSC than just 'regurgitating' everything you know onto a peice of paper. You have to answer the question too!
But still, I do well in my exams, however I doubt I will remember this stuff 10+ years after high school. Its like temporary memory storage.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I finished HSC under a year ago, and I've already forgotten a lot of the specifics of subjects that I'm not pursuing at uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)