Is the University of Western Sydney really as bad as people make it out to be? (1 Viewer)

Jack-Package

HSC
cxlxoxk: sorry to u and others for my long paragraphs, im an impulsive writer but i'll put it away in this discussion.

Yeah, im subjective, thats why im doing communications, not maths! No im not an employer but according to the dia a 4 year degree with high achieving grades is good and qualified work experience. Awww thats mean, doesnt mean their idiots, in my case i studied last minute so i should count my blessings but some studied a lot and well got lower than me and some of my classmates. Maybe they didnt have good time management, a study system, the motiavation or their resources were scarce/inadequate, who knows.

Dannielle@3: thats wonderful to hear! im excited and yeah i think the degree has flexibility.
Im pretty much int he same position here, i did alot of last minute studying and didnt work as hard as i should have, and im pretty thankful for the UAI i recieved. Im doing Communications at UWS but live in the eastern suburbs, which will be a HELL of a travel for me, its terrible really, but im glad i actually got accepted to a uni and UWS or UNSW or whatever whichever uni i get into im happy. Just the travel is what i hate... I feel bad for the many who worked muuuch more harder and got bad marks or not as high as they expected because of the scaling system or something that was wrong...

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Without reading any of the 100 posts since I last posted here.

1. Some subjects have great teachers, some subjects have fob tutors.
2. There is no social life in comparison with the larger unis - but sitting with friends between lectures/tutorials/seminars is still great.
3. The units (subjects) are generally well organised
4. For many of you it will save a lot of hassle in travel time.
5. Although the teaching quality tends to be good - the draw back would be what employers think of the university. It is new and has 'Western' in its name. You can draw your own conclusions on that.

BigDk

HSC
give it 5-10 years, the graduates of the uni, who will become employers wont give a shit what uni u came from...

Muchi

HSC
Jack-Package: yeah, i have to travel a lot too all the way from strathfield! anyways if it consoles you in anyway you could check out these links:

kernel (1) | The Good Universities Guide

kernel (1) | The Good Universities Guide

our uni graduates earn more! i think the websites out of date but its for the people (majority) who oh so look up to this site!

ari89:i think you go to uws! Is it as bad as people claim it to be?

BigDk: true that, uts apparently had a bad rep. and with time its gotton better!

cogito.ergo.sum

HSC
RE Quality of UWS for Combined Law

1. A university degree is what you make of it. I missed out on a spot at Usyd Combined law by two points and I was shattered because in my ignorance I believed it to be the ONLY uni worth attending. Shocking as it may be I am now actually pleased to have missed out on Combined Law Usyd and rejected other offers from UNSW, MQ, UTS, Usyd (arts) as my perception of university life has completely transformed since starting at UWS. Again this is my perception and everyone needs to make their own conclusions.

2. Albeit the social atmosphere may not be as intense as Usyd/UTS there are nonetheless opportunities to network - this is particularly true of the School of Law. If you join the Law Students Association you'll be made aware of more social/educational workshops/events than you'll possibly have the time to attend. As a first year I absolutely love the atmosphere and the opportunities at UWS - there aren't too many unis where 1st year students can compete against 4th / 5th year students in mooting, client interviews, negotiation, etc or have the chance to actually attend the prestigious ALSA conference annually.

3. I cannot dispute the fact that you will face some portion of students who aren't as competitive as Usyd students may be - however there will also be that strong band of students across all years who are dedicated to surpassing expectations and even more importantly a growing group of alumni who are altering the face of the UWS Law School. Graduates who have found employment in top tier firms such as Mallesons & AAR; graduates who have worked as Judges Associates, gone on to do their PhD's and even gone on to Harvard for their Masters. Some prejudice amongst society, employers and other graduates is inevitable but ultimately it is your Law record that speaks for itself.

4. The quality of teaching staff varies - as with any other university. Some lecturers astound with their knowledge and dedication to student learning (whether practicing lawyers, academics or retired justices) - on the other hand some tutors (coincidentally the one I refer to also teaches at UNSW and obtained his PhD there) can be shocking, in terms of the lack of quality.

In the end each person is obliged to make the decision which they feel best represents them. I think it's important to remember that sometimes not getting what you want can turn out to be the best thing you've ever done.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
it's easy.
what you do is do the law double degree,
and because your cohort isn't as 'competitive' as USYD/UNSW
you work hard. graduate with first class honours (if there's such a thing),

then you move to another country/another state where they don't know about 'UWS' reputation as it stands,

and there you go.

you don't have a less than prestigious uni degree,
you just have a first class honours, double degree in law/other major.

UWS is pretty young.. 1989. it's only 20 years old.
by the time you graduate, it's reputation would of... possibly improved.

besides, if a potential employer files your application in the 'circular file'
do you really want to work for that vain law firm?

aussie_indian

HSC
N/A
Friends, I went through intial 3 page sof the thread and there are lot of mixed reviews about UWS. Though precisely about accountancy and law it was said to be not a very goos choise but how about IT. Like a Bacheclor in Computer Science. How is IT there, the course is available only in Penrith campus. I was keen for the Parramatta campus but it has BIT which is comparatively less technical.

PS:- I am talking for an international student

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)