Is there really any point in going to lectures and workshops? (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004
fark lectures !!
they bore me to death !!!
im gonna attend like the next 2 weeeks or so to check out the chicks
and then im gonna stop going to them
woot woot
Road to success. ;)

I'll try to attend mine..May as well...

Ribbon

So far I've found I could easily skip the lectures to do with the commerce part of my degree, but the law lectures (well maybe not so much foundations... but certainly torts) are 100% worth going to... I would be maybe not totally lost, but highly disadvantaged by not going...

santaslayer

HSC
yea i would agree......commerce ones are pretty straight forward which is y its even more boring.........
the law ones would probably help out a lot

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
i think u should attend lectures.......

Merethrond, how many lectures have u gone to already?
U sure everything is by the txtbk?....sometimes ppl actually ask q.s in lectures, tho ur not really supposed to so yeah, this could help a lot.

I find my mind goes blank when i get bored then it gets hard to concentrate but BE CAREFUL ....u say u WILL read the textbk, u say u WILL go on the net to download the lectures and that u will read them, but u might become lazy, forget or watever...like me, leaving things to the very last minute, procrastinate, say i'll do it later but never get around to doing it, if this is u then yeah maybe u should attend them.......i did, altho today i just rested my head on the rocky table and fell asleep 8am in the morn :)

Last edited:

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
lectures are good...they can seem boring, but they are definitely worthwhile.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
i took notes at my first lecture, second lecture only lasted 1/2 hr for some reason, and the last lecture i went to, i nearly fell asleep. it's annoying coz on mondays i only have one lecture (in the middle of the day, as well -__-), but i think i should turn up for it... at least the first few anyway :p

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by evilc
lectures are good...they can seem boring, but they are definitely worthwhile.
Yeah - forces you to actually concentrate for a certain amount of time :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
I find that there is basically no point in turning up to lectures and workshops because they are just going through what is already in the textbook. Plus, it is so hard to try and keep your attention in lectures if you are really tired, my mind just starts to wander and all of a sudden I realise I have missed ten minutes of the lecture:rolleyes:.
in the words of gary ellem "lectures arent compulsory, however you're very foolish if you choose not to attend"

however, i get where your coming from, ive nearly fallen asleep in virtually all my bio lecturers (the lecturer is SO boring!!)

Last edited:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Generator
No... In general, the lecture material is the primary source of information for each course, with the textbook being a supplement. Do not devalue the lecturer/s and their course by thinking that they are merely providing a summary for a textbook.
Yeah, I see where you are coming from but it seems that in my subjects, the textbook is pretty much the main source of information. However, I am finding that, as suz has suggested, the repetition is helping the information go into my long term memory and I am finding that I am remembering a fair bit of the information:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by poloktim
I'm pretty sure every university has the policy that all students must turn up to lectures. Always go to your lectures.
They don't care at Newcastle University. It would take them far too long to mark the role:).

Also, if you know you're going to miss one, tell your lecturer beforehand, so if you have any questions catching up with what was done the week before, you've told your lecturer about your being unable to attend so s/he shouldn't snob you off for missing the lecture.
There is no possible way that the lecturer would be able to tell if you were at the previous lecture, there are just far too many people:).

As Generator said, don't treat your textbook as the subject's bible. Lecturers may change some things, offer better explainations, skip entire sections etc.
This is a good point. I am finding that the lecturers/tutors seem to concentrate on specific concepts and this gives you a hint as to what you should study more:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by krayziekarnevil
Ive already skipped about 4... and plan on skipping many more!
I am yet to skip a lecture and I think I have decided that I am going to attend them but I have decided that Workshops are definitely almost completely worthless and I am only going to turn up to them whenever I feel like it:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by lillaila
Merethrond, how many lectures have u gone to already?
Two weeks worth:rolleyes:.

U sure everything is by the txtbk?
So far, yes:).

I find my mind goes blank when i get bored then it gets hard to concentrate but BE CAREFUL ....u say u WILL read the textbk, u say u WILL go on the net to download the lectures and that u will read them, but u might become lazy, forget or watever...like me, leaving things to the very last minute, procrastinate, say i'll do it later but never get around to doing it, if this is u then yeah maybe u should attend them.......i did, altho today i just rested my head on the rocky table and fell asleep 8am in the morn :)
Yeah, that sound like me last year, but this year I am a changed man. I am committed:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by bubz :D
i took notes at my first lecture
I am just turning up to the lectures and listening to what the lecturer has to say, because the lecture notes are on the Internet for all of my subjects (except one):).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Yeah, that sound like me last year, but this year I am a changed man. I am committed:).
i thought u were a girl?

santaslayer

HSC
I am yet to skip a lecture and I think I have decided that I am going to attend them but I have decided that Workshops are definitely almost completely worthless and I am only going to turn up to them whenever I feel like it:).
at UOW, its compulsory to attend the workshops.....we get our names ticked off.....pppffftttttt :rolleyes:

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i thought u were a girl?
You are not the first to think that either (or the second or third or fourth...):eek:.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
at UOW, its compulsory to attend the workshops.....we get our names ticked off.....pppffftttttt :rolleyes:
The only thing that has compulsory attendance at Newcastle University is tutorials:D.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I think it's easy to think like this since lectures are not compulsory. However, as lectures provide you w/the imp. parts + I was told you can be almost certain a lot of what is covered in a lecture is going to be on the exam - I'd go.

Our tutorials and labs are compulsory - and yup, our names are marked off too......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)