Is this a good answer? (1 Viewer)

Ambition

HSC
Describe the reaction involved in the formation of a condensation polymer. (1 mark)

Cellulose is a condensation polymer that is produced via the formation of beta 1,4-glycosidic bonds between the hydroxide groups of adjacent glucose monomers. In the process of their bonding, the two functional groups (i.e. the hydroxides) produce water molecules, which are emitted.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
the question asks for a general condensation polymer reaction, so its best to be more general.

also, are you sure its a 1 marker? i doubt the verb would be "describe" for a one marker, its more likely an "outline" one.

i would simply say that two monomers join to make a polymer, whilst eliminating a small molecule in the process (since its only worth 1 mark).

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
I would stick in an example just for the sake of it.

@ambition: I would replace or reword your last sentence, to something which munchi said. Your wording is slightly ambiguous I think....

You can say "the two functional groups react to emit a small molecule", IMO would sound better.

doink

Clone
HSC
1. Give a general overview of condensation polymers in general and throw in an example at the end or you could fall into a trap, which you did.

2. The molecule emitted is not always water, it usually is though.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Well you were asked to describe condensation polymerisation generally... You could still use an example, but I don't think you need to know anything about "1,4-glycosidic bonds" anyway xD
After all... I've seen it in none of the 3 textbooks I used, nor is it the syllabus xD

Last edited:

avoda28

HSC
if i had to reply to that question i wouldnt use cellulose as an example. id use something a bit easier... that way youre guaranteed to get it right. but that could just be me. complete cellulose structure is a little out of my reach atm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)