Is this plagiarising? (1 Viewer)

xNinjax

HSC
Someone told me that it is NOT plagiarizing if you can memorize an essay (that is not your own work) and write it in exam conditions. Is this true (especially for ENGLISH) ?

showy

HSC
If you're memorising it, as in reproducing it word for word, then yes, that is plagiarism.

If it's not your work then its plagiarism. Straight up. Didn't you do the grueling 'All my own work' course at the beginning of hsc?

Last edited:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I get what you mean.. memorising essays (to write in exam) is supposed to prevent plagiarism, but it's still regarded as plagiarism.. as it is not your work

I wouldn't recommend doing this at all.

twistedrebel

HSC
Never plagiaries, a few years ago a ESL student at my school remembered a short story and was caught. They were N Awarded or something, and did nto end up getting their HSC(international Student)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Definitely plagiarism. You can get expelled for this if you get caught in uni.

xNinjax

HSC
i see i see .

Okay, lets say for English i use the exact same techniques and effects (includes same related text) but i change slightly , is this still plagiarising ?

K

Kozak92

i see i see .

Okay, lets say for English i use the exact same techniques and effects (includes same related text) but i change slightly , is this still plagiarising ?
One of my friends copied the same techniques and structure of my essay cause it was "all sweet", that he "changed pretty much most of it".

We both almost ended up getting 0's luckily he admitted he used my essay and was deducted a few marks while my mark remained.

Do your own work.

xNinjax

HSC
One of my friends copied the same techniques and structure of my essay cause it was "all sweet", that he "changed pretty much most of it".

We both almost ended up getting 0's luckily he admitted he used my essay and was deducted a few marks while my mark remained.

Do your own work.
Damn ! :p

xNinjax

HSC
If you're memorising it, as in reproducing it word for word, then yes, that is plagiarism.

If it's not your work then its plagiarism. Straight up. Didn't you do the grueling 'All my own work' course at the beginning of hsc?
LOL i didn't do "ALL MY OWN WORK" .

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
LOL i didn't do "ALL MY OWN WORK" .
Has your principal signed off to say that you have?

If not you will have to do it to be eligible for the HSC.

As for the question about plagiarism - the English people are the ones most likely to pick it in the HSC and every year some students get sprung and get zero marks for an essay or even for the entire paper.

It isn't worth jeopardising the HSC for something like this.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yes, because they are not your own ideas being represented.

_henwee

HSC
Hold on... what happens if it was for another subjects... particularly a ROTE learning type subject... and you answer it using someone else's idea word for word... (eg. directly from a textbook)?

Last edited:

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Hold on... what happens if it was for another subjects... particularly a ROTE learning type subject... and you answer it using someone else's idea word for word... (eg. directly from a textbook)?
I don't think it's a major issue with subjects such as the sciences, as you're meant to display your understanding of concepts, etc, rather than individually analysing texts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)