Is this possible? (ranks, bands and raw marks) (1 Viewer)

lucidassembly

HSC
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I was wondering: If you have quite good internal ranks (eg. top 3 in most subjects, with one subject being top 10), would you need to get raw band 6s (eg. over 90 in the exam) in order to achieve actual band 6s for your final HSC marks?

For instance, if you get in the 80s for an exam, could your internal rank push you up to a band 6?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Is this possible? (ranks, bands and raw marks)

80s in the exam can scale up to a band 6, so no, you do not require 90%+ to get a band 6.

the external marks determine the internal marks anyhow. so if you completely bomb out the external exam (say, low band 5 or high band 4) it is highly unlikely your internal rank can push you up that far.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
yeah if ur hsc aligned mark is 80, there is no way u can get a band 6 unless the people above ur rank got 100...
but it is definitely possible to get a band 6 if ur aligned mark wasn't 90+, this is more possible in a higher ranking school with a larger candidature for that subject e.g. for me my rank for math was 8/162 and i know my internal mark will be around 97ish so even if i get mid 80's for my aligned mark i shud still get a band 6

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
yeah if ur hsc aligned mark is 80, there is no way u can get a band 6 unless the people above ur rank got 100...
but it is definitely possible to get a band 6 if ur aligned mark wasn't 90+, this is more possible in a higher ranking school with a larger candidature for that subject e.g. for me my rank for math was 8/162 and i know my internal mark will be around 97ish so even if i get mid 80's for my aligned mark i shud still get a band 6
How?

I don't think so. 8/162 would probably get you 95, not 97. It wouldn't be that high.

Zephyrio

HSC
lyounamu said:
How?

I don't think so. 8/162 would probably get you 95, not 97. It wouldn't be that high.
He goes to Sydney Boys, so 97 for a rank of 8 is very achievable.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
He goes to Sydney Boys, so 97 for a rank of 8 is very achievable.
Still...

In the last few years, Sydney Boys had 1-3 people getting state ranks which equate to 99. Are you saying that 6-7 other people got 98 or 97?

EDIT: Ok, fair enough. It might make sense.

Zephyrio

HSC
lyounamu said:
Still...

In the last few years, Sydney Boys had 1-3 people getting state ranks which equate to 99. Are you saying that 6-7 other people got 98 or 97?

EDIT: Ok, fair enough. It might make sense.
Actually, the people who achieved state ranks from SBHS last year got 98. Anyway, this is beside the point. It's a fairly safe assumption to make that at SBHS, especially in a course like 2U Maths, there is not much separating ranks 1 to 10. This would show in their final marks too.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
well i'm not sure, just saying that my internal will be 95-97 so even if i get 85ish for aligned i'd still get a band 6...and there is a chance that even if the top mark is 98 that the next few would only be a bit lower since there are 160 people doing it and all the top people are around the same level, but i guess we'll see

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Actually, the people who achieved state ranks from SBHS last year got 98. Anyway, this is beside the point. It's a fairly safe assumption to make that at SBHS, especially in a course like 2U Maths, there is not much separating ranks 1 to 10. This would show in their final marks too.
Really? My friend last year got 98 and he didn't get a state rank but considering that last year exam was easy, he would have not got a state rank by 1-2 raw mark then...

Zephyrio

HSC
lyounamu said:
Really? My friend last year got 98 and he didn't get a state rank but considering that last year exam was easy, he would have not got a state rank by 1-2 raw mark then...
Yeah. Some 98's didn't get state ranks.

I hope to get 98 - state rank or not, I don't care. 98!! lol

BTW, are you planning to retake 3U, Namu? You got 63/84 in your trial, right? That means that you'll comfortably get a top band, but that might not be enough for you! lol

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Yeah. Some 98's didn't get state ranks.

I hope to get 98 - state rank or not, I don't care. 98!! lol

BTW, are you planning to retake 3U, Namu? You got 63/84 in your trial, right? That means that you'll comfortably get a top band, but that might not be enough for you! lol
I got extra marks on top of that. I got just about 80% (79.8% but rounded up to 80%, lol), which is alright.

I am definitely retaking 3 Unit. With that mark, I am probably looking at about 47 but that's pretty mediocre in a sense that I can get much higher mark next year.

Zephyrio

HSC
lyounamu said:
I got extra marks on top of that. I got just about 80% (79.8% but rounded up to 80%, lol), which is alright.

I am definitely retaking 3 Unit. With that mark, I am probably looking at about 47 but that's pretty mediocre in a sense that I can get much higher mark next year.
Lol, yeah. Though, it will depend on your school... at my school, internal moderation comes into play so if you got mid-60's in your trial, your HSC mark would be around 48-49. Really weird, because mid-60s seems to low. Meh. The benefit of taking 3U as a 1unit subject is that a 97 means 49 which means 98%! LOL. Similarly, 95 means 48, which I'm aiming for! :)

trailblazer

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
well i'm not sure, just saying that my internal will be 95-97 so even if i get 85ish for aligned i'd still get a band 6...and there is a chance that even if the top mark is 98 that the next few would only be a bit lower since there are 160 people doing it and all the top people are around the same level, but i guess we'll see
lol

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
lol i just checked our school website, boosted my confidence a bit, last yr we had 102 band 6's for maths out of 169 so that makes me feel better and most of the people that didn't get band 6 were probably just the people doing 2 unit maths (not 3unit as well)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)