Is this true!?? (1 Viewer)

Angelina88

HSC
Hey guys, ill appreciate it if someone contradicts me on this one:

Everyone always says that you never ever get your "raw hsc mark", its all moderated and scaled and "played with", fair enough i realise that some subjects are harder than others, every year exams range in difficulty, ra ra so were all cool about this whole scaling business.

But... i overheard a teacher and she was saying that apparently the way it all works is: you get your school ranks in every subject, sit down in oct/nov for the external exam, then the board ranks these external exam marks in each subject and then allocates the corresponding external exam mark with the rank that the school gives you. I dont know if this is making any sense, but ill try and explain it using an example.

So if your ranked 4th in Advanced English, you go and do the HSC external exam, you ace it and get the highest mark of 92. But according the external marks, the 4th highest mark achieved by your advanced english class was 78......Does this then imply that the person ranked 1st will get your 92 and you will get 78 simply because you are ranked 4th?!?!?

Always

HSC
I think in that case you would get the average of 78 and 92, which is 85.

78 would be your moderated assessment mark though...I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
also take into consideration, that if the lowest HSC Exam Mark is higher than the Lowest Internal Assessment Mark then the Internal Assessment Mark will be raised up and aligned with the Lowest HSC Exam Mark.

Thus all the marks get adjusted accordingly, and you also have to consider the spaces between each rank position (whether its a few marks or more than a few marks) because that will affect the way the redistribution of marks etc goes.

Sgs2006

HSC
N/A
I dont think i understand it, but say im 4/65 in chem and i stuff the external exam up and get like 20/65, I still get the 4th highest assessment mark and 4th highest external mark ? :confused:

Number7

HSC
You get half your scaled exam mark, that's simple enough.

You get half your "rank mark", which is your internal assessment mark (ie the mark that assigns you your rank in your cohort, hence "rank mark") aligned against the state (I don't know how this process works however). Hence, even if you're coming last in a subject, but kill the HSC exam, you will still get a good mark, but it could be moderated down slightly (I've heard that your aligned internal mark is usually +/- 4 of what exam mark you get).

I'm not 100% sure this is how it works though, if anyone can correct me

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
Sgs2006: You get your own external mark and your assessment mark is moderated to reflect the performance of the rest of your class.

You don't just get the 4th exam mark as your assessment mark if you come fourth. Assessment marks have to be moderated in a fashion that preserves the gaps between ranks. So:

Student A: 1st, 90/100 assessment, 95/100 exam
Student B: 2nd, 81/100 assessment, 75/100 exam
Student C: 3rd, 80/100 assessment, 92/100 exam

aligns to

Student A 95 ass. 95 exam 95 HSC because first rank gets highest exam as assessment

Student B DOES NOT GET 92 FOR THEIR ASSESSMENT MARK because the relative gap between A and B needs to be preserved. They might end up with 86ish, but I'm not sure. They receive their own exam mark.

Student C aces the exam but can't get a higher assessment mark than B, to preserve ranking. C's assessment mark will be equal or lower by one or two than B's mark. C keeps his exam mark as his own.

Number7: If you came last and then aced the HSC exam, you'd get a great mark for your exam mark but the fact that you came last would mean that your assessment mark would have to be the lowest out of your whole class, which would damage your chances of getting a high overall mark.

Last edited:

Sgs2006

HSC
N/A
K thanks asheroth, that explained it really well :)

bboyelement

HSC
moderation is exactly what you explained above about the rankings. you shouldnt worry about the difficulty of the test as alignment will take into consideration of it. say this year exam will be difficult and the highest mark was like 85/100 then the mark for band 6 will be like eg. 70 ... hence anyone will a raw mark above 70 will get band 6s where a raw mark of 85 will equate to an aligned hsc mark of 100 and 70 will equate to an aligned hsc mark of 90. so yeah you wouldnt be disadvantaged at ... just hope that everyone else find it difficult not just yourself otherwise you are screwed.

karoooh

HSC
I thought that if you got 2nd overall in internals, then you'd get the 2nd highest external mark in the exam, in your school AS your school assessment mark, and then keep your own external assesment mark as well.

And then the 3rd mark you get would be the average of the new allocated assessment mark and your own external exam mark. So:

Student A: 1/100 in school --- 85/100 external exam
Student B: 2/100 in school --- 82/100 external exam
Student C: 3/100 in school --- 88/100 external exam

So then:

Student A: 1st/100 in school --- 85/100 external exam + 88 assessment mark
Student B: 2nd/100 in school --- 82/100 external exam + 85 assessment mark
Student C: 3rd/100 in school --- 88/100 external exam + 82 assessment mark

And then the 3rd mark is the average of the 2 for each student. At leaset, that's how I think it is. Skimmed through the thread, could someone verify?

joesmith1975

In front on my computer not doing I should be doin
HSC
Musk said:
pfft the alignment of the marks to start off with is done in the shape of a normal distribution curve, thats is impossible to have a mark of 15, if you did engineering statistics then you understand but as your a stupid inferior hsc student then you do not know the system hence meaning your a retard.
sorry statistics well ur knig of the world u fagget, go munch on some on that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)