Is tutoring artificial intelligence? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaldoking

HSC
Excuse me? Religion is highly related in this topic for me, I couldnt care if it wasnt for you. The Lord Jesus gave me a mind, and I am using it with His help and guidance. He enables me to understand the concept. Don't get me started on selective schools - arnt they all the kids that once they hit uni are like as dumb as dumb can get. LOL I know of universities such as UTS where students in engineering that went tutoring have no idea - not even basic chemical reactions, and yes one was from sydney girls another from north sydney boys...

dpospination

HSC
i have spoken to many peopleover thears who have had tutors, and u hear the storeis that people become rleiant upon them, too the poitn where they get thier tutors to do the assignments and assessments for them. personally, they r cheating themselves. But it is possibel to get good results n say, 3 unit maths and english if u dont have a tutor. my Brother got 44 out of 50 in 3 unit Maths and 42 out of 50 for 3 unit english, and he hasnt been to a tutor in his life, nor have i.

5233andy

HSC
dpospination said:
i have spoken to many peopleover thears who have had tutors, and u hear the storeis that people become rleiant upon them, too the poitn where they get thier tutors to do the assignments and assessments for them. personally, they r cheating themselves. But it is possibel to get good results n say, 3 unit maths and english if u dont have a tutor. my Brother got 44 out of 50 in 3 unit Maths and 42 out of 50 for 3 unit english, and he hasnt been to a tutor in his life, nor have i.

Amen. The real problem is that individuals become reliant on tutors - it's as though it's replaced their actual High School education.

chaldoking

HSC
Actually, now that I moved up I have satisfaction in saying I beat half the people that do go tutoring :) They have no idea about new topics, wheres their "intelligence" there?

xMrRand0m

HSC
chaldoking said:
I'll simply put it this way - what if a student did not have a tutor, would they still be succesful? I would like to see all those people with tutors, do the work without tutors - simply impossible they have become too reliant. If they had real knowledge they would understand the content in class - it is the same concept being taught.

Of course they will be successful. Tutors are not an indication of the person two decades away - that's stupid and you know it.

I think you have also overlooked the fact that the large majority of people do not get tutoring for all the subjects that they do. Alas! Here lies an anomaly! According to you, since they have tutoring for all the other subjects and are thus 'too reliant', they should not be able to excel in the subject they don't have a tutor in. See my point?

Also, I believe you have another misinterpretation about tutoring. People who have tutoring often see it as 'get taught at tutor, allow it to be reinforced at school'. Just because they choose to have what they learnt at tutor to be reinforced at school does not mean that they would otherwise not understand the concept if it is being taught in class. Understanding a concept is very different from being extremely familiar with it. People who do tutoring clearly choose the latter and in doing so, often accomplish the former.
Your academic abilities do not determine how well you will do in the business world, or what great ideas you will come up with in the future. Continuum has a point, those who go to tutor, only go to reinforce the content that they have learnt at school. How do you know that those who have tutors are not able to do the work themselves?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
chaldoking said:
Excuse me? Religion is highly related in this topic for me, I couldnt care if it wasnt for you. The Lord Jesus gave me a mind, and I am using it with His help and guidance. He enables me to understand the concept. Don't get me started on selective schools - arnt they all the kids that once they hit uni are like as dumb as dumb can get. LOL I know of universities such as UTS where students in engineering that went tutoring have no idea - not even basic chemical reactions, and yes one was from sydney girls another from north sydney boys...
Ah huh. We never claimed that all Selective School students who go to tutoring were smart. But at the same time, I think that you're making pretty rough generalisations. But let's just say this, a good percentage of Selective High School students will flog you come Uni.

dpospination said:
my Brother got 44 out of 50 in 3 unit Maths and 42 out of 50 for 3 unit english, and he hasnt been to a tutor in his life, nor have i.
Things that work for you and your brother, don't necessarily work for other people. It's all about finding what's right for you.

5233andy

HSC
xMrRand0m said:
Continuum has a point, those who go to tutor, only go to reinforce the content that they have learnt at school. How do you know that those who have tutors are not able to do the work themselves?

I beg to differ. Many tutoring institutions teach their own content - it's almost as though they have their own syllabus. How is that reinforcing their prior knowledge?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
5233andy said:
I beg to differ. Many tutoring institutions teacher their own content - it's almost as though they have their own syllabus. How is that reinforcing their prior knowledge?
What makes you think we go to those tutors?

xMrRand0m

HSC
chaldoking said:
Actually, now that I moved up I have satisfaction in saying I beat half the people that do go tutoring :) They have no idea about new topics, wheres their "intelligence" there?
If you have moved up from general maths, what's the satisfaction there? Those that have tutoring are usually the students that do extension I / extension II mathematics. The students that are in general are those that do not have a tutor. Why would you need a tutor for general maths in the first place? So, moving up to 2 unit is not something that someone should be really satisfied about.

chaldoking

HSC
dpospination said:
Thankyou - proof that tutoring makes people too reliant! Proof that in getting assessments completed for them - they cant do it themselves! Amen to this comment, I can see the Lord Jesus working in you and instituting success into your brother and yourself. Congrats on ur bros great marks! Im sure his on top of everyone that had tutoring, in uni now! LOL

But yeh proven the point!

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
chaldoking said:
I'm Christian dude, so don't become all presumptuous and say 'I couldn't care if it wasnt for you'.

Sigh. Again you are relying on stereotypical representations of selective school people, evident with 'arnt they all the kids that once they hit uni are like as dumb as dumb can get' that simply shows you really have no idea about people from selective schools. Just so you know, there are always some idiots at selective schools - that applies to every school. The fact that you have to rely on how a few idiots perform at university to prove your point reflects how little you know.

xMrRand0m

HSC
5233andy said:
I beg to differ. Many tutoring institutions teach their own content - it's almost as though they have their own syllabus. How is that reinforcing their prior knowledge?
There's the differentiation, those institutions that go by their own syllabus are not the top quality, their sole purpose is to juice the money out of their students, and still, they are the minority. Most tutoring institutions go with the HSC syllabus, reinforcing the knowledge that the students have learnt at school.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
chaldoking said:
Thankyou - proof that tutoring makes people too reliant! Proof that in getting assessments completed for them - they cant do it themselves! Amen to this comment, I can see the Lord Jesus working in you and instituting success into your brother and yourself. Congrats on ur bros great marks! Im sure his on top of everyone that had tutoring, in uni now! LOL

But yeh proven the point!
How is that proof? That's one isolated case.

5233andy

HSC
Aerath said:
What makes you think we go to those tutors?

Well unfortunately, it's reality. Don't tell me that your tutor/coach focuses on your school work and the problems that you have encountered because it's more than likely bollix made on behalf of yourself.

chaldoking

HSC
xMrRand0m said:
If you have moved up from general maths, what's the satisfaction there? Those that have tutoring are usually the students that do extension I / extension II mathematics. The students that are in general are those that do not have a tutor. Why would you need a tutor for general maths in the first place? So, moving up to 2 unit is not something that someone should be really satisfied about.
Actually, half my class has tutoring and guess what - come to an exam and they cant even understand the question because its worded differently. The satisfaction is that in 2 unit - I beat those that think their "intelligent" and have 2 - 3 tutors. Plus, Im not talking about general maths. I never knew you were so defensive about tutoring, is this all a facade to conceal exactly what tutoring does for students, and wanting to hide from the reality of it?

5233andy

HSC
xMrRand0m said:
There's the differentiation, those institutions that go by their own syllabus are not the top quality, their sole purpose is to juice the money out of their students, and still, they are the minority. Most tutoring institutions go with the HSC syllabus, reinforcing the knowledge that the students have learnt at school.
I refer to my previous posts.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
5233andy said:
Well unfortunately, it's reality. Don't tell me that your tutor/coach focuses on your school work and the problems that you have encountered because it's more than likely bollix made on behalf of yourself.
Wasn't your original point your experience with tutors 'teaching their own syllabus'? You might was well make your point clear - or not make one at all.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
5233andy said:
Actually, we learn from the syllabus, believe it or not. But the fact that you're unwilling to entertain the fact that you may not be 100% correct really shows your maturity.

chaldoking

HSC
Aerath said:
How is that proof? That's one isolated case.
Its not an isolated case - I hear it all the time! Seriously, they have become so reliant, its like you ask them whats your date of birth - hang on let me ask my tutor.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
chaldoking said:
Actually, half my class has tutoring and guess what - come to an exam and they cant even understand the question because its worded differently. The satisfaction is that in 2 unit - I beat those that think their "intelligent" and have 2 - 3 tutors. Plus, Im not talking about general maths. I never knew you were so defensive about tutoring, is this all a facade to conceal exactly what tutoring does for students, and wanting to hide from the reality of it?
I get the sense that you think you're 'intelligent' from beating half the class in 2U Math. Let's see how you do in 3U shall we? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)