is UNSW overrated in terms of prestige? (1 Viewer)

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
probably not, once you sit in higher comp 1A, you'll know why UNSW beats all other unis hands down..

On the other hand, when you sit on BDM lectures...

</offtopic>

If it's prestige, I don't think UNSW is overrated at all. I mean, doesn't the research part of UNSW make up quite a bit of the prestige? If so, then all those e-mails you get when you submit to cse discussion mailing list proves the prestige that the academic members of UNSW has (i.e one of the cse lecturers were trying to prove a math eq with perl, and it was just interesting :p).

In terms of quality of education, because UNSW has lots of people doing research, they know what they're talking about. People once said that academics aren't necessarily good at teaching, but the same also applies to non-academics. Furthermore, researchers have more chance of knowing what they're doing, no? (I guess this question more or less answers the quality of education in universities in general)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
you can never overrate UNSW's prestige.
i'm a UNSW student, obviously

Sure UNSW's marketing might be good, and if people fall for it, well hey... what can i say

coroneos

that's what i wanted 2 hear.. im just reassuring myself that unsw is the right one 2 pick... regardless of whether or not they have all the hawt azn chix lol :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Cool. The more I hear, the more determined I am to go to UNSW.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
unsw has prestige? sure you guys aren't thinking of usyd?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I think unsw constantly being ranked one of the top unis in australia has to count for something.

santaslayer

HSC
UNSW isn't overrated at all. It's currently underrated IMO. It's big, it's beautiful and it has girls. Nice girls. :p

Oh yeah, I don't go to UNSW. I go UoW. :uhhuh: :p :uhhuh:

(except UoW used to be part of UNSW) :p

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
i reckon if they had tutors that could actually speak english and have teaching skills, rather than just being "smart", then maybe theyd deserve their "prestige" title. but ig uess it depends on what course youre doing.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
International things always point to ANU as being better than UNSW for research and all that sort of thing. Asiaweek magazine and that Chinese thing that was floating around. That's right 8th in Asia-Pacific and 49th in the world. Beat that ;)

Yay for rivalries!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Ziff said:
International things always point to ANU as being better than UNSW for research and all that sort of thing. Asiaweek magazine and that Chinese thing that was floating around. That's right 8th in Asia-Pacific and 49th in the world. Beat that ;)

Yay for rivalries!
I believe UNSW was 14th in the world for mathematics research.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)