isomer (1 Viewer)

rand_althor

HSC
There are 2. You can either have both chlorine atoms on one carbon or one chlorine atom on each carbon.

Last edited:

Syd123123

HSC
But if I draw it out? There's 3??
......H H
Cl - C - C - Cl
......H H

......H H
Cl - C - C - H
......Cl H

......H H
Cl - C - C - H
......H Cl

3 and everything else is just a 'flip' or rotation??

rand_althor

HSC
Your first and last ones are both 1,2-dichloroethane. There is one chlorine atom per carbon for both.

Drsoccerball

HSC
As i've mentioned before its because its a 3D molecule therefore your 1st and last are the same

Syd123123

HSC
Wait so isomers are only if they're differently named? wtf my teacher said if they look different then it's an isomer thats why i thought 1st and 3rd are isomers??

rand_althor

HSC
It is when the molecules configuration of atoms is unique when viewed in 3D. For the last and third ones, you have one chlorine atom on each carbon. The following are all the same - they all have one chlorine atom bonded with each carbon atom:

......H H
Cl - C - C - H
......H Cl

......H Cl
Cl - C - C - H
......H H

......H H
Cl - C - C - Cl
......H H

Syd123123

HSC
It is when the molecules configuration of atoms is unique when viewed in 3D. For the last and third ones, you have one chlorine atom on each carbon. The following are all the same - they all have one chlorine atom bonded with each carbon atom:

......H H
Cl - C - C - H
......H Cl

......H Cl
Cl - C - C - H
......H H

......H H
Cl - C - C - Cl
......H H
Thanks. How would I use permuations/combinations to find how many isomers? It seems possible. And I know, it's much more work but Im curious

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Wait so isomers are only if they're differently named? wtf my teacher said if they look different then it's an isomer thats why i thought 1st and 3rd are isomers??
Nope!

If there was a double bond between the two C's then they would be geometric isomers, but this is beyond the HSC course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)