ISP-religion and literature (1 Viewer)

lollipoplisa7

HSC
ISP-religion and literature-help

hi....i am currently starting my ISP and i have chosen religion and literature. At first i was going to do a comparison of techniques and meanings used and conveyed by nonfiction and fiction books towards the values and understanding of christianity with references to the bible, but i have been looking around and there doesnt seem to be many people that have done this area. if anyone can help...can u please tell me if i am on the right track or if i have gone into a distant land......hints, tips and relative info is sooooo much appreciated..... :uhhuh:
thanks

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
lollipoplisa7 said:
hi....i am currently starting my ISP and i have chosen religion and literature. At first i was going to do a comparison of techniques and meanings used and conveyed by nonfiction and fiction books towards the values and understanding of christianity with references to the bible, but i have been looking around and there doesnt seem to be many people that have done this area. if anyone can help...can u please tell me if i am on the right track or if i have gone into a distant land......hints, tips and relative info is sooooo much appreciated..... :uhhuh:
thanks
I know its not your focus but you cant do the bible (its a sacred text and sacred texts are a no-no in this context) as a major literary source plus what you are proposing sounds *really* convoluted and difficult...WAYYYY too broad (me personally, I would counsel against comparing techniques...its just description which isnt really what the ISP is about.)

You need to bring your focus down a little so its not so broad. make reference for example to specific books/works within your question (which Im sure you were gong to do...)
:)

lollipoplisa7

HSC
i think im going to give up on this topic soon

snapperhead said:
I know its not your focus but you cant do the bible (its a sacred text and sacred texts are a no-no in this context) as a major literary source plus what you are proposing sounds *really* convoluted and difficult...WAYYYY too broad (me personally, I would counsel against comparing techniques...its just description which isnt really what the ISP is about.)

You need to bring your focus down a little so its not so broad. make reference for example to specific books/works within your question (which Im sure you were going to do...)
Yeah.....i have a tendancy to complicate things for myself....must stop doing that. :rolleyes:
would this be better or on the better track or still too broad...?
"How are various aspects of christianity portrayed and interepreted by people through history"
"How does literature affect the interpretations and meaning made towards aspects of christianity"
....or maybe i should choose another topic....i thought i could focus on like a couple of texts and the way they can influence people...like the controversy some books can create...nonfiction...or maybe the good effects of christian morals from some fiction/non fiction books......
ahh.......im complicating it again....why oh why....
should i try thinking in a different theme like just focus on a book in relation to aspects of religion in it or should i choose another topic....sigh

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
lollipoplisa7 said:

Yeah.....i have a tendancy to complicate things for myself....must stop doing that. :rolleyes:
would this be better or on the better track or still too broad...?
"How are various aspects of christianity portrayed and interepreted by people through history"
"How does literature affect the interpretations and meaning made towards aspects of christianity"
....or maybe i should choose another topic....i thought i could focus on like a couple of texts and the way they can influence people...like the controversy some books can create...nonfiction...or maybe the good effects of christian morals from some fiction/non fiction books......
ahh.......im complicating it again....why oh why....
should i try thinking in a different theme like just focus on a book in relation to aspects of religion in it or should i choose another topic....sigh
edited your post so the quotes work!! easier to read......

----

option 1 ...still too broad-> "through history" is a hell of a long time......

option 2 is do-able but again, look at the different types of literature in the syllabus (way too many!!) +you will have to nominate specific examples. I suggest no more than three...

I like how you said you might change topics but then nominate another literature based thing!!!
LOL- Im guessing you like books!

If you ant to do literature- just pick an author or ONE book (or one of the other forms of literature in the syllabus) and then pick ONE dot point from the relevant ISP syllabus section
ie
Students learn about:
(A) religious expression in literature
∑ religious feelings, beliefs and ideas as expressed in literature: examples drawn from fiction such as novels, short stories, drama, poetry and film as well as non-fiction such as essays, histories, diaries, films and documentaries
(B) the interrelationship between religion and literature
∑ the social and cultural context on which the literature draws
∑ the influence of literature on religious and social values
(C) how religious beliefs and experience are expressed in, animated by or constructed in literature
∑ how people discover meaning in literature
∑ how people make various uses of literature.
and formulate this into a question....

lollipoplisa7

HSC
ok...welll.......i no i said id change topics but yeah...i always change my mind but yeah...i think i have something now....sorta....im going to focus on brave new world and maybe some symbolism stuff from great gatsby with the sign cause i studied them for english and yeah....or not....dont know a focus question yet
but if i do change topics ill do media
and the question would be along lines of
"Discuss how the media has impacted society and a growing negative view towards religion" or something like that...
yeah...i like books....sorta
i do eng advanced and ext 1..hahhaha
so watcha think...ok.....i think ill do media...ill put into it the truman show and the concept of god all mighty and i duno...stuff like that
but i duno.....which oone....literature or media......ahhhh

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
IMO i think youd be wise not so much to focus on techniques as you stated in your first post, this seems a very englishy way to approach this topic, but instead to depict the religious ideologies which motivated the writing of such literature. Obviously the Communist regime is a sense made Stalin a demi-god through their abolition of all relgious forms, which is satirisied by Huxley in BNW. I think this would be an interesting idea, not sure if it would be relevant, my ISP was only worth 5% so i didnt bother trying.

"Discuss how the media has impacted society and a growing negative view towards religion"

This is very generalised (Ie. The form of media must be specified. Relgious media such as the Catholic Weekly is still media and does not represent a negative view towards religion. Also media forms in the US and in other countries within Europe where religion is of greater widespread support than Australia tend not to cover controversial issues.).
And very similar to a lot of FS3. Its also very broad and allows for too much scope for such a short response.

lollipoplisa7

HSC
IMO i think youd be wise not so much to focus on techniques as you stated in your first post, this seems a very englishy way to approach this topic, but instead to depict the religious ideologies which motivated the writing of such literature. Obviously the Communist regime is a sense made Stalin a demi-god through their abolition of all relgious forms, which is satirisied by Huxley in BNW. I think this would be an interesting idea, not sure if it would be relevant, my ISP was only worth 5% so i didnt bother trying.
Well thanks for the input....i have decided to do BNW or some different author that my teacher recommended and do the influence of society on the author type thing but yeah......really....5%...u had it lucky....mine is worth 20%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)