Issues arising about assessment rank (1 Viewer)

jack2808

HSC
hello everyone,

I am currently ranked 1st in all my subjects except for adv. english, and coming into half-yearlies i was wondering what benefits there are to study and come first by a long shot, or not study as much but still maintain the top rank. I dedicated a lot of time to improving my english rank but was wondering about the difference it would make coming first by a bit or a long shot?
thanks

enoilgam

HSC
hello everyone,

I am currently ranked 1st in all my subjects except for adv. english, and coming into half-yearlies i was wondering what benefits there are to study and come first by a long shot, or not study as much but still maintain the top rank. I dedicated a lot of time to improving my english rank but was wondering about the difference it would make coming first by a bit or a long shot?
thanks
You shouldnt get complacent, people can and will try and overtake you from this point (especially around trial time where the weighting is significant). Always try to get the highest mark possible.

talisman

HSC
You shouldnt get complacent, people can and will try and overtake you from this point (especially around trial time where the weighting is significant). Always try to get the highest mark possible.
totally agree with this. i was lax up until certain points during school because i thought i'd be fine but things start to heat up

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
There would be no difference between coming first by 1 mark or coming first by 50 marks but it has an effect on your class mates. With that said, like others have mentioned, it's better for yourself to be ahead by a "long shot" as it would give you space to slip back if you don't perform as well as you wished in an assessment.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It's good practice to study, if anything, for the final exams.

Even if you think your fellow students aren't up to your standard, the way you apply yourself throughout the year shapes your mentality in preparation for the external exams.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
?

Doesnt matter how far ahead you are, it just matters upon your final rank

But still try to be far head in case you flunk an assessment so you have marks to spare

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Always try to be first by a bigger margin if possible. But it's more worthwhile to be 1st in everything that not 1st in one sub i.e english and 1st by really large margins in everything but eng.

jack2808

HSC
Always try to be first by a bigger margin if possible. But it's more worthwhile to be 1st in everything that not 1st in one sub i.e english and 1st by really large margins in everything but eng.
Yeah, i agree, well i compromised a lot of time improving in english as it seems the most worthwhile, even if it is my subject with the worst mark, hopefully gain some ranks though... i wish i was good at english -_-

twenty12

HSC
If you're coming first all it means is that in the actual HSC the top mark becomes your internal mark. So it doesn't matter if you're coming first by a long shot or not, you'll still get the top mark in the HSC. But it does make you better prepared for the HSC I guess.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)