IT reports usually que 21-23 (1 Viewer)

HighFlyer

HSC
Hi,

I am having trouble studying fot the reports as i don't know how to structure them, how long they should be(estimate) and if jargon is vital in geting the high marks.

any tips

d_griffo

HSC
hey
they dont have to be reports specifically
they can be
<b> memos
manuals
letters
setting out a computer layout
list
</b>

if you need a hand of setting something out like that
ive got standards packages for 2001-02 ill send you the extended band 6 compared to band 1 or what every u like

well think about it like this (15 marks)
english papers are (15 marks each)
so between 4-5 pages depending on what your writing

lay it out like a english essay and then structure it like a report or memo etc

Chocobo687

HSC
HighFlyer said:
Hi,

I am having trouble studying fot the reports as i don't know how to structure them, how long they should be(estimate) and if jargon is vital in geting the high marks.

any tips

Hey,
Going on what we have done at school, I generally find that using technical terminology is one key, and also covering the required topics. I usually do this twice in a round about sort of way. Assume I am writing a memo about software inventories. Basicly I havea memo format / layout with those essentials, but then for actual content I will have:

Opening Paragraph
Explains the basis of why I am writing this memo.

Overview
Usually in point form which covers everything I want to discuss. This is mainly so that I am saying "This is what I know, this is what I will cover below"

Follow Up
I then write around a paragraph if possible for each dot point I have just outlined. This is the "meat" to the response, and reinforces what you have just listed in the dot points.

Summary
I recover everything in a summary, re-inforcing the topic yet again, and giving a personal reason why its important etc.

I have been writing around 2 A4 pages, with around 14 words per line for my average writing.

Hope this helps a little? Would be interesting to see how others reply :)

HSC
they can also ask "action plans" and "essays"

but they do not expect 5 pages in 30min, thats too much, my teacher said min 2 pages would be the amount you want if you want a 13-15 range and going over 3 pages is wasting effort/time

you could go upto 10 pages if you wanted, but the reason they give us so little time is so you dont regurgiate the course work and just write what is neccessery, and that'd include question requirements but alot of the time they actually set it out for you, you dont even have to remember it, the books tend to give you their own interpretation so you understand it

like for example on an extended response they asked for complete report on OH&S computing environment, now you and me could say oh yeh chairs, desks, computers, lighting, electricity etc... however, the question outlined specifically what they wanted, my point being is they always outline whats required in the response unlike alot of other subjects (ie. english)

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
Remember in extended response ques dont neccesarily relate to one comptencies some are intergrated so they expect u to know and show E.g OHS to installin program
so let ur mind be creative and most of dont drift and write crap waste of time

Also dont repeat what the question says they most likely scripple it out or wont even bother lookin at it

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
Extended response:

Know your Structure .. use headings where appropriate, title pages, letter formats etc..
Know the Industry Standards .. know industry standard applications, specifications/hardware
Know your audience .. what does a manager want to hear?, specifics - dont be broad.

and finally PRACTICE!! .. do past papers, recognise the patterns in questions, imo know backups and mail merging well, installation of packages, OH+S!!/Ergonomics, Maintenance (sp?) .. classic examples ..

Chocobo687

HSC
Just noting that persons 4ish pages with 5-7 words per line.

I usually get 8-10 words per line in those books. My writings pretty small.
So just remember that if your writings small and your sitting in the exam going "OMG, I MUST GET 5 PAGES".... those people may have big writing :)

Is all....

HSC
d_griffo said:
well ive looking at past papers and standard packages, a band 6 did between 4-6 pages for an average extended response.

here is a example of band 5 2001

question 20
http://rapidshare.de/files/6273820/q20_b56_s1.pdf.html

question 21
http://rapidshare.de/files/6273725/q21_b56_s3.pdf.html

but i reakon 4 pages is good
cause in english you spose to be writing 5ish in 40 mins
a few people in the state got band 6, it doesnt need to be expected to get 4-6 pages, I think its a little hard to do 12 pages in an hour, because thats essentially upto what you'd be asking (x2 extended responses)

there's always 1 easy extended response though, like usually its a brochure or something whereit doesnt require to be as long

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
how many past paper extended response ques have u done If done bout 10 so far

HSC
ive done about 4-5 so far, im also putting alot of effort into english :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)