IT scaling in hsc course (1 Viewer)

mica

HSC
hello

can anyone explain to me the scaling system for IT and if its good or bad for the opportunist who is going for a UAI??

thanx mick

CrashOveride

HSC
mick,

drop the subject right now. its about one of the worst subjects you can do. if you are a self-respecting person, drop IT on Monday.

klh

HSC
sigh..i think he is right.
my uai was quite low and my highest hsc mark was in IT, 86. which didnt bump my uai up at all that much.

HSC
right now im hitting average band 5's in IT, you sure its not worth keeping?

GaZ_2004

HSC
it realli depnds on wat u wanna get 4 a UAI if u aim 4 bout 80-90 u'll be alrite if u do other good scalin subjects, IT is a shit scalin subject but it is very easy lyk any dropkick can get even an 80 easily..... personally i never worked hard or gave a shit bout IT multimedia i got 95 without tryin ^^!!! lol... though it depends wat IT ur doin if multi pm if u need ne help...n o yea remember if u do choose 2 do it work hard n follow the timeline u set urself i didnt i stressed my ass off... but goodluck ne ways

HSC
i do chemistry, business studies, maths general, english standard, SDD and IT

out of those with my term 4 results i went best in chemistry

but i mean i have to hit ~band 6 to avoid this shitty scaling yes?

GaZ_2004

HSC
busi, gen maths n stand eng will give u shit scalin combined wit IT it doesnt look very good, just make sure u get a band 6 in maths n IT n at least band 5 in eng n busi
gettin a realli good result in chem will help a lot cuz of its good scalin ( so try band 5), from wat i heard last yr's chem HSC test was alrite so mayb tis yr it'll be a killer.... lol gl...

sdd?!?

CrashOveride

HSC
Gaz_2004 : You got 95 in this 2004 IT exam?
Somehow i find that hard to believe.
And i cbf checking the UAC data to see what the maximum mark was.

I'm quite positive i read that the top mark, some stooge who ran his own company, was like maybe 95 or 94.

Anyway, dont do IT. You will learn shit like how to turn on the computer and how to clean the monitor. Seriously..dont do it.

Linda N

HSC
N/A
CrashOveride said:
Gaz_2004 : You got 95 in this 2004 IT exam?
Somehow i find that hard to believe.
And i cbf checking the UAC data to see what the maximum mark was.

I'm quite positive i read that the top mark, some stooge who ran his own company, was like maybe 95 or 94.

Anyway, dont do IT. You will learn shit like how to turn on the computer and how to clean the monitor. Seriously..dont do it.
Indeed. I found getting 95 in the last year exam is definitely hard to believe. Drop it!

raymes

HSC
Linda N said:
Indeed. I found getting 95 in the last year exam is definitely hard to believe. Drop it!
...not that hard to believe just means he wouldve been close to the top in the state

i got 93 in last years exam = 5th in state

IT does scale crappily; it ended up being my lowest subject; but as people say, its ultra easy and requires so little work/study (doesnt mean that if u dont put in the required amount you wont do crap).

the best way to get a feel for how well a subject scales is to use SAM. when u punch in a HSC mark for a subject it returns the % of the state who scored equal or above that mark which gives u an idea of how hard it would be to get that mark or above. Then you can compare the UAI contributions across subjects.

btw crashoveride, you beat me by 0.10 =D

azn_chocobo

HSC
is it really that bad......
cause im doing business, economiscs, 3U maths, standard english + I.T
so yeh....
hoping for a 90+ uai
possible?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
azn chocobo
drop IT .. it'll get in the way of other subjects .. such as 3U maths , business, etc.

it is possible.. but u have to get damn near perfect results

as for me
im planning on dropping 1 subject at the end of this yr ( im in yr 11 )

: 3 U maths , ADV. English, Physics, IPT , IT , Business
:)

HSC
If you hit high 5's or low 6's, you're actually destroying the subject, all you need to do is beat the average and scaling isn't an issue

people get cocky about the subject, don't study much for the HSC course, while most the exam is easy, those big chunk extended responses where you do need to study is where alot of people fall down, my Year 11 IT exam, I got almost full marks for every single mark, i lost about 15% (I got 82%) in my 2 extended responses because I 'didnt communicate professionaly, and provide clear points'

Teacher said I had the idea, I just should of structured it better and used much more formal langage (one extended response was a letter), so If I had just a more mature vocabulary, and practise my structure reports it would of been easier

On top of that, the teachers said the HSC will be AS HARD as this exam that I did, so I recommend you don't bother with the menial stuff and focus on your ability to do an extended response properly.

To further validate my point go here
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2004_12_16365.htm

Let me analyse this for you 3732 applicants, Band 6 is great, its achievable in this subject, but why do 1.01% get it?
Thats ~38 people in the STATE got band 6, band 5 is also very achievable 9.61% got it, thats about ~359 people
You remember that big curve graph that analyses scaling in subjects, remember how it has that spike in the middle as the 'most common mark' - well in this subject 72.63% of people fell between bands 3-4, so that 'spike' is in 3-4, so if you hit 5's, or 6s you really have nothing to worry about

Lets say I properly constructed my extended response in year 11, im looking at mid 90s, thats more or less a good mark

If you for some ungodly reason hit only 70s i recommend you do something about it, or drop it

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Casmira said:
If you hit high 5's or low 6's, you're actually destroying the subject, all you need to do is beat the average and scaling isn't an issue
Whilst this is true, it is very difficult to use your school assessment marks to predict whether or not you'll achieve a Band 5/6 result in the end.

Consult with your teacher.

If you're aiming for a UAI of 90+, you'll generally need at least a high Band 5 result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)