I've got a dilemma...Yr 11 subjects - should I do Geo or Mod His? (1 Viewer)

Dongle

HSC
I got subject selections for Yr 11. There are 2 units left for a HSIE subject, and I'm not sure whether to do Geo or Mod.His. I do well in and am interested in both. However, I'm know lots more about History than Geo. The main deterrent for me is that 48 people are doing Mod.His while only 7 people are doing Geo. There would be less competition in the Geo class.

I'm not sure about scaling. Which of these two scale better?

Please offer some advice.

Agywaggy

HSC
Dongle said:
I got subject selections for Yr 11. There are 2 units left for a HSIE subject, and I'm not sure whether to do Geo or Mod.His. I do well in and am interested in both. However, I'm know lots more about History than Geo. The main deterrent for me is that 48 people are doing Mod.His while only 7 people are doing Geo. There would be less competition in the Geo class.

I'm not sure about scaling. Which of these two scale better?

Please offer some advice.
Try not to choose a subject base on the scaling of the subject. Do the subject you want to do because you like the subject, not because of the scaling.
Choose wants in you heart and what you like.
Thats the advice i can give you.
Good Luck picking

Dongle

HSC
I don't really care about scaling. It's just a tie-breaker between two subjects. After reading through the Geo threads, I think Geo would be a better choice due to the less work needed.

HSC
the difference in year 11 is that you shouldn't want to beat everyone in your year... sure its nice when you do but your no longer in direct competition with each other. Your in direct competition with the people in your state and low marks in a class which people get can bring down your overall mark. You have to be able to work together. If you want my opinion choose modern history, its pretty good and geo sucks.

Agywaggy

HSC
I can tell you from girls in my year, they have said there is quite a lot of work in modern, but if you like history, go for history. But if u like geo, i can talk from experience as i am doing geography at the moment. I seriously don't think the workload between the two subjects differ that much, but then again thats my view. Geo is pretty good, there some aspects i just wanna burn but some i realli like. Just do wateva feels right.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
makedamnsure101 said:
the difference in year 11 is that you shouldn't want to beat everyone in your year... sure its nice when you do but your no longer in direct competition with each other. Your in direct competition with the people in your state and low marks in a class which people get can bring down your overall mark.
please unlearn everything you just stated.

modern history FTW.

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
please unlearn everything you just stated.

modern history FTW.
im sorry but what does FTW mean. I was taught that; how do you kno its wrong?

Gangels

HSC
Most people will drop out of the Modern Class cause they think it'll be easier than what it is. By year 12, there'll be about 10 or 15.

Scaling wont mean shit, pick the one you have more interest in.

felixcthecat

HSC
scaling doesn't realli matter that much so long as u enjoy the subject and am willing to spend time to study and do well in that subject~

geography doesn't scale particularly well, but if you do well in geography or like geography, while not like or am not particularly good in a slightly scaled up subject such as a science, then geography would be the better subject to choose.. the yr 11 course is quite different from the yr 12 course tho, in my view.. since i wasn't particularly strong in the biology side of geography..

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
scaling does mean quite a lot unless you're a hobo or yob. in which case newcastle is *that* way :p

i do both and geo definitely will scale negatively as opposed to mod. i put the same amount of time for each but my mod mark is about 7 raw marks (out of 100) higher.

and if you really do love your scaling then do ancient because that scales even better. but all in all this should be a comprehensive summation

1) GEO if you're good with maps, like to learn content which is constantly updated (i.e. you should regularly cut out newspaper clippings) and aren't deterred by the granted ENORMOUS content involved then choose this

2) MOD if you're good with analysis, don't enjoy artsy fartsy stuff (to score well in geo then maps and diagrams are almost a necessity) and would like to challenged in how you think about the world choose this

Daddark

HSC
Geography requires spatial skills (analysing, interpreting diagrams, such as maps), whereas history is just thinking how the world operates (mostly logic with the aid of textbook texts) and you need to enjoy reading.

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
I would say do Modern History~!! The workload is obviously more than geo but the course is really rewarding and the exams aren't that hard which means more people get band 6. Also, if you're good at modern history, you also get the chance to do history extension later on which scales up your modern history marks and is one of the most interesting courses I've done all year. Don't let yr 10 history scare you away from modern history~! :D:D At my school, out of 34 people in modern history, 1 person dropped whereas 5 people dropped out of 15 in Geo.

Last edited:

crazysteph

HSC
i'd say from the experience of doing both, that modern is better... but it depends what your teachers are like and so on.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
lilkiwifruit said:
I would say do Modern History~!! The workload is obviously more than geo but the course is really rewarding and the exams aren't that hard which means more people get band 6. Also, if you're good at modern history, you also get the chance to do history extension later on which scales up your modern history marks and is one of the most interesting courses I've done all year. Don't let yr 10 history scare you away from modern history~! :D:D At my school, out of 34 people in modern history, 1 person dropped whereas 5 people dropped out of 15 in Geo.
actually history extension has pretty mediocre (albeit positive) scaling; modern history is much better than extension for that.

yes it may be interesting but i hope you've learnt from your MW experience so you won't have to resort to that at uni. but seriously, good luck for everything (as to other ... 06 geo-ers who may desert this board soon :eek:)

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
I agree with Tanja.Z about the scaling- not to put so much emphasis on it...but i hated geography and loved modern history...we studied the romanovs, cuba, civil rights movement and wwI in yr 11 and it was great. It depends on what you like. Only one person in our school chose geo for senior school- shows how popular it was! The modern history hsc exams have also been "dumbed" down as my teacher likes to say it. There are less topics to study! Do a little bit of research, have a look at the syllabus and see which interests you more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)