James An college....anyone..? (1 Viewer)

steban

violin dude
HSC
Hey guys, anyone go to James An..? i think its a pretty popular coaching college, and they score many results i think, im thinking of doing the english course, just for some support

does anyone think that coaching college is pointless or anything, for yr 11 anywayz...?

Last edited:

PrettyVacant

HSC
Noooo. Went to JAC for maths.
OMG IT WAS SO SLOW AND BORING.
They have cool folders though.
But they charge way too much.
And the pace is too slow. =|
Coaching is alright. I don't know about English coaching but maths coaching is pretty useful (unless it's James AN).

cs01001

HSC
I haven't been to James An myself, but I heard from many that both James An and Pre-Uni suck. Coaching is alright, I am currently doing English and Maths, looking to maybe do Economics as well...

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah, coaching is alright, depending on the subjects.

steban

violin dude
HSC
yeah, it is pretty pricey, im doing the course which is 50 bucks a week = =, but im only going a 3 week trial (yes we gotta pay for the trial = =) and if i find it useful i might continue it for awhile, if not then pffft

What other coaching colleges would you guys recommend..? or are good these days, i wanted chemistry tutoring at James An as well but it didnt work out for my schedule so i didnt bother with it, but if i can find a cheaper place ill think about it

located in hurstville area (no one better come lookin for me...)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i went to james an, and that was pretty shit
pre uni was just a tad better
tipps is probably the best to go to (for maths that is)
i had a private tutor for english, and she was good as well

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
pre uni was shit. I go to North shore, its great. Teachers know what they are doing and some are pretty funny too

p.s.y.c.h.o

HSC
N/A
OMG!! i went to James An in Yr 7...they went so slow...i was told to move up 2 grade because it was that easy...

PrettyVacant

HSC
steban said:
yeah, it is pretty pricey, im doing the course which is 50 bucks a week = =, but im only going a 3 week trial (yes we gotta pay for the trial = =) and if i find it useful i might continue it for awhile, if not then pffft

What other coaching colleges would you guys recommend..? or are good these days, i wanted chemistry tutoring at James An as well but it didnt work out for my schedule so i didnt bother with it, but if i can find a cheaper place ill think about it

located in hurstville area (no one better come lookin for me...)
Hey Steven, Hurstville has quite a few. Especially the hardcore asian ones. There's Harry's Maths in HUrstville which is at 241 Forrest Rd. It's $42 for 2 hours on either Monday or Thursday afternoon - for 3 unit(You can pick and if you miss a lessson on Monday, you can go to the one on Thursday so you don't miss out) and if you need help with any maths, they're open all weekdays. =) Plus I go there, so yeah, you should consider it. It's pretty decent.

steban

violin dude
HSC
PrettyVacant said:
Hey Steven, Hurstville has quite a few. Especially the hardcore asian ones. There's Harry's Maths in HUrstville which is at 241 Forrest Rd. It's $42 for 2 hours on either Monday or Thursday afternoon - for 3 unit(You can pick and if you miss a lessson on Monday, you can go to the one on Thursday so you don't miss out) and if you need help with any maths, they're open all weekdays. =) Plus I go there, so yeah, you should consider it. It's pretty decent.
aha, funny how b4 i read your post, i stumbled across their website yesterday night, and i emailed them for questions.

but like hmm, i dun reallly want maths though, cause i do general (BWAHA) and its piss easy, all i need to do is listen in class and im on the ball.

but i have yuck essay writing, and im doing 3U english and thinking of 4U so i wanna boost up ma engrish (and my spelling is sometimes deplorable as well)

so yeah...and i wanted chemistry tutoring!

so harrys is like 40 ish bucks....pretty good id say. James An charges 50 a week for 1 sub, so im just gonna take up the 3 week trial and if its slow then ill find another.

EDIT: ok maybe the harry's im thinking about is different, the place im th inkin of is located at 181 Forest Road, called "Master Coaching Hurstville"...tis is teh same place lillan...?

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
steban said:
the place im th inkin of is located at 181 Forest Road, called "Master Coaching Hurstville"...tis is teh same place lillan...?
Haha I just started going there at the beginning of this term.
It's overpriced, but it's going pretty good so far I think. I only do Maths 2U and Ext with them though.

My friend does English there and she says its good, but then again it's different for everybody.

Good luck with your search and junk!

HSC
N/A
Rafe14 said:
ahaha, James An....not worth it.
Why cant you guys just self study, no fuss about going to the best coaching place or wateva, and no charge!
Or you can just understand everything in the first place!!

I dunno, some people find it helpful...

Is coaching for English generally pointless, as opposed to private tutors?

HSC
steban said:
Hey guys, anyone go to James An..? i think its a pretty popular coaching college, and they score many results i think, im thinking of doing the english course, just for some support

does anyone think that coaching college is pointless or anything, for yr 11 anywayz...?
NO! No James An! I went there for most of last year, and it really sucked. It may have just been the specific centre I went to, but the teachers did not teach and the material (especially for english) was completely irrelevant. It might have changed though.

I go to another coaching college now (in Hurstville) and the english there is really good. But overpriced >.<

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
krazedrealitii said:
I go to another coaching college now (in Hurstville) and the english there is really good. But overpriced >.<

The owner of North Shore has designer label from top to toe.....literally

cs01001

HSC
I went to N Shore when I was in year 8 & 9, I also remember all these Asian mums crowding in those tiny primary classrooms listenting to him making speeches about UAI, scaling etc. lol

cs01001

HSC
bump, Anyone know good coaching centres, tutors for Economics?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
cs01001 said:
I went to N Shore when I was in year 8 & 9, I also remember all these Asian mums crowding in those tiny primary classrooms listenting to him making speeches about UAI, scaling etc. lol
ye obsessive asian mums, i remember once, a kid got like 3 question worng on his NS test (which have absolutely nothing to do with anything) and his mum was just yelling at him how dumb he is

stephenchow

HSC
With James An, Pre Uni, North Shore etc (places of tuition with many centres i.e.) each centre will vary with its teachers and therefore quality of teachers.

And with group tuition for English in senior levels i.e. 11 and 12, they wont have enough time to teach your specific modules and AOS and so they teach you this generalised concepts about English which apparently is meant to you assist i.e. you learn the concepts and then you have to figure out how they apply to what you do at school.

And from experience I do not recommend group tuition for English because English involves a lot of work and paying for group tuition for english is not worth it.

I went to Fairfield JAC for english from 10 to 12, same teacher all the way. Year 10 was alright but once it got to year 11, I got sick of it because all I was taught was concepts and ideas that may or may not relate to what I was doing at my school and so some lessons were a waste of time and money as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)