James Ruse are cheaters and the BOS do not care. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

critiek

HSC
Why is it that James Ruse is the only school in the State that starts HSC and Prelim work way before they are allowed to by the BOS?

No other selective school does this, even the high ranking girl and boy schools play by the rules and only start the HSC course after Year 11 has officially finished.

If anyone has seen a James Ruse maths test, they are doing 3 unit work in year 9/10 and their exams are more difficult than any other school urely because they have worked so far ahead.

Officially the BOS does NOT allow this yet they cast a blind eye over their love child with the politicians and spin doctors who want a model school for NSW. We don't tell the other states that this 'model' school plays by their own set of rules.

I find what James Ruse is doing extremely selfish and stereotypical of their school mentality of "marks marks marks".

The BOS also have less than impressive contact 'details' which are probably siphoned straight into their spam folders or answering machines.

People think it's impossible to overcome James Ruses' high standard but their is talent in every school, except they work hard and have no life.

I say we should make some noise and get the BOS to rethink their special treatment policy. I propose that because of their unfair advantage over other schools they should have their scaling reduced because they already have and advantage over other students even before they cheat and do the HSC material behind everyone else's back.

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
James Ruse is a top school and has been for a while so that has probably given them the right to do anything they like and that the BOS are helpless to do much about it. I reckon the parent of the James Ruse students would complain if the BOS tried to stop James Ruse from allowing their students to study ahead of the other schools. But, if it is an ordinary school that tried to allow the students to study ahead then i think the BOS would be able to easily stop that school from doing so. That is my opinion anyways so feel free to correct me if i am wrong. I do not go to James Ruse so i dont know that much about it.

P

pLuvia

James Ruse is the best school in the state, and there are people called accelerants ;)

Why are you complaining, by the time of the HSC all schools would have learnt all things necessary for the HSC exam.

You can't say they are cheaters :p We started 4 units maths before the actual starting date? lots of schools do it

Raginsheep

HSC
The thing with starting things early is that it gives them more time to prepare for stuff that will come up in the HSC. I think what the original poster was referring to was that Ruse apparently teaches HSC topics as part of their 9-10 syllabus.

I remember last year my eng teacher was telling us about how we couldn't stray too far into HSC content (we were doing prelim) because it was against the BOS regulations.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Raginsheep said:
I remember last year my eng teacher was telling us about how we couldn't stray too far into HSC content (we were doing prelim) because it was against the BOS regulations.
yeah we got told that too...when we studied Frost for prelim english our teacher wouldnt talk about "the road not taken" because it's in the journeys stimulus booklet and wouldnt let us use it as a related material or anything.

is it an actual set rule that you cant start hsc work until the end of prelim? or is it just a guideline? if it's a rule, then yes, perhaps james ruse shouldnt be working so far ahead...if they have yr 10's who want to do 3u maths they could accelerate them couldnt they? i think thats allowed. as far as im aware accelerating subjects is the only really "legit" way to do hsc work in yr 11.

middlemarch

HSC
N/A
As far as I thought, accelerating is not that you start studying for a subject or topic 2 (or whatever) years before you give the exam for it... if you wanna acclerate, you have to give the hsc exam the year you study for it accordingly.
I think this is incredibely unfair, because I'm sure other students from other schools are as much capable of learning the hsc course in yr11 and gaining an advantantage when revising it in yr12 AGAIN...making it so much easier on them.
But I'm not sure about all the facts...so correct me if I'm wrong.

Danoz The Great

HSC
They aren't cheaters, they're accelerating students!

I studied some of the yr 11 stimulus texts in year 9 and 10, is that cheating? I think not. It's just an advantage that I was granted because I worked hard.

critiek

HSC
There is a difference between "accelerating" and doing HSC course work before Year 12.

What your teachers are telling you is correct, the BOS has policies on when HSC work can be started.

I did accelerated IPT but I (and my class) paid extra for the teacher and it was after school and before school - It was recognised by the BOS and I had to play by the rules and it was the read deal. Contrast this to James Ruse's method of teaching all their students HSC work without the permission of the BOS.

Slide Rule: Are you one of those gits who post without offering a rational explanation to what you're on about, instead you choose to post some vaguely related material without an explanation just so you cannot be proved wrong? That is weak, and so if your 'argument'. If you actually read the WP entry then you'll find it was irrelevant for us at an Educational Level not the Social, Economic Levels like it says in the article.

I will never be envious of a school which has to seek immunity from the BOS just so they can achieve a better UAI whilst giving their students an obviously unfair advantage over the rest of the state.

All the people who have not agreed with me (and I respect these people) have basically argued that they can work ahead or work harder than everyone else if they want to. My answer to this is simple: It's not allowed by the BOS to work that far ahead. For a school to examine and properly teach students HSC material before they are allowed is completely selfish and a rawt of the system which is meant to give a fair assesment of ability in a specified time frame.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
there is a difference between accelerating students and students who are not supposed ot be taught HSC material before the actual HSC year beginsand the Prelim ends

if James Ruse does this then they aren't the only one from what I've heard.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Oh noes! People are learning things ahead of what bos says they should! If they have the ability to do that work in year 9, then who are the teachers to stop them from doing it? I'd say the majority of ruse'rs would probably know that stuff before they even set foot in the maths classroom anyways.

Danoz The Great

HSC
critiek said:
It's not allowed by the BOS to work that far ahead.
Well until I see this 'rule', I think that James Ruse are fine in what they are doing.

middlemarch

HSC
N/A
playboy2njoy said:
You, are an idiot. Anyone can accelerate. Any school can accelerate their students. And anyone can go to their teachers and ask for harder work, or a year aheads textbook.
There's a difference between asking for harder work or taking it on individually- outside of school and the teachers teaching the course to their students before other schools get the chance. Don't tell me this is fair on every other school where teachers follow the rules and wait to teach their students on the right time.

critiek

HSC
playboy2njoy: Did you read anything the other posters wrote? You are the moron who does not understand what this argument is over.

This is not about whether they can buy a textbook and work on ahead AT HOME but these people are being taught at school and examined on work which is meant to be left until they reach Year 12 at school.

Please before you reply to this thread read all the posts and know what we are actually arguing about.

acmilan: Refer to above, you have it completely wrong. Your powers of interpretation: 0

adni: Ask a teacher

I encourage everyone to ask their teacher about what James Ruse is doing, if you don't trust what I am saying then atleast you will believe them. Ask a experienced teacher who has taught and marked HSC papers.

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
playboy2njoy said:
You, are an idiot. Anyone can accelerate. Any school can accelerate their students. And anyone can go to their teachers and ask for harder work, or a year aheads textbook.
You'll find that James Ruse don't accelerate, nor do their students ask for harder work. They find loopholes in BOS rules to start the HSC year earlier, so their students have more time than other students to prepare for exams and learn the coursework.

They start things early, yes. Under BOS rules, it's illegal. There are loopholes. James Ruse exploits them.

critiek

HSC
nwatts thank you for clarifying that better than I did :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I'm not saying its right or wrong - but look at what you're arguing. You want bos to tell jrahs to stop teaching their students ahead of time, stick with what the syllabus says. That is the biggest tragedy that can happen. These students talents need to be nurtured not halted.

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
critiek said:
Why is it that James Ruse ...
Translation: I did not get into James Ruse and therefore criticise their teaching programme to make it look like I was too good for them.

critiek

HSC
I understand your angle acmilan but there are rules in place that do not allow teachers to 'nurture' them so much. They already have an advantage with their school's scaling.

They can offer extra worksheets but devoting weeks at a time to HSC work and examining them is not on IMHO, there is a difference between exploiting these loopholes and actually doing some extension work out of curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)