JAPANESE Tutor fees/rates (1 Viewer)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Hi there,

I'm looking for a Japanese tutor, and the first prospective tutor that I've come across has been teaching Japanese for about 3+ years (maybe more, not sure) She's about 30 years old. I don't think she's taught HSC Japanese before (only 1 year of prelim and the rest was 8-10).

She's lived in Japan for 4 years (she's Australian).

Also some of my friends have had her as a Japanese teacher previously, and they say that she's alright. She knows how to speak the language, etc but she never 'pushed' the class, if you know what I mean, which is fine because I'm going to push myself and focus in the areas that I'm weak at (since I know them).

Anyway, she wants $60/hr, which IMO is too expensive. I was looking at about $40-50/hr, and doing the calculations, I don't think school teachers even get paid that much. And considering that as a tutor she wont have to do much preparation (if any), I find that it is a bit unreasonable, not that I cannot afford it, but I do hate wasting money.

Anyway please let me know what you guys think of the rate that this tutor intends to charge.

Thanks

ah.sport

HSC
N/A
Re: Tutor fees/rates

too much. i wouldnt go for it.
would only pay that much if they had marked the hsc for several years and knew exactly what they were doing

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

Hmm, okay. No I probably wont go with her... But what do you think is a reasonable price?

Aplus

HSC
N/A

Forget the $60/hr. Even $40-$50 for Japanese is way too much.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

Oh really?

Hmm, I just heard that my own (ABSOLUTELY DUD) Physics teacher tutors and gets paid $100/hr... so it is a different story with Physics?

And when I say dud, I mean DUD. I could probably be a better Physics teacher than him!!!

EDIT: Also, I know a tutors (NOT a teacher) gets paid $80/hr to tutor English, Drama and Art! I think it's insane, would anyone else agree?

Last edited:

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC

$60 is a lot for tutoring, only the best should really charge that. You'll be wanting to get a damn good tutor for such a high rate, who gets you stacks of resources and marks practise papers for you as well as doing the speaking/writing practise with you.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

jm01 said:
Oh really?

Hmm, I just heard that my own (ABSOLUTELY DUD) Physics teacher tutors and gets paid $100/hr... so it is a different story with Physics?

And when I say dud, I mean DUD. I could probably be a better Physics teacher than him!!!

EDIT: Also, I know a tutors (NOT a teacher) gets paid $80/hr to tutor English, Drama and Art! I think it's insane, would anyone else agree?
$100/hr wtf

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

$60 an hour is okay, if the tutor is good, and knows what u need help with and what they need to do, actually it depends on the subject.

ah.sport

HSC
N/A

i'd say somewhere closer to $30/hr. a good tutor won't charge you too much, they're not about the money. It's possible you could find someone on here that did jap for their hsc

youngminii

Banned
HSC

Hell, if a tutor actually got paid $100/hour, I'd quit school and take up full-time tutoring~

nurse.jeska

HSC
Hey,
if you are interested i'm actually a Japanese tutor myself. i charge $25/hr but it may change according to location.
Give me a call or sms if you're interested. 0412 912 128

Jeska

duckyness

HSC
My Jap tutor charges me $20/h, but its group tutoring, so i think she gets $80/h =___=

You should try tutorfinder.com.au instead
I know you probably won't find anything trustworthy, but it's way better than paying $60/h for a tute who doesn't know anything about the syllabus.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Lets not turn this into an advertisement thread please :) If I wanted to find a tutor here, I'd have posted in the appropriate forums.

I wouldn't say that she doesn't know anything about the syllabus... Last time I looked it just comprises of grammar forms that you are expected to know. It doesn't mean much in language courses, unlike Science based subjected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)