Jillaroo studies WIT:Dubbo (1 Viewer)

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Has anyone done this course at the Dubbo College of TAFE? Whats it like? Is it better going upto Lenconfield in Tammworth to do the basic training? Did it help you get a job?

Cheers!

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
White Rabbit said:
Has anyone done this course at the Dubbo College of TAFE? Whats it like? Is it better going upto Lenconfield in Tammworth to do the basic training? Did it help you get a job?

Cheers!
i did the leconfield course, and while it was good fun, it didnt really teach me that much. i did the 11 day one, and i am a city girl, so i dont have that much experience with working properties, aside from work experience i have done for my course, but most of what we learned was common sense.

The horse riding was good, but i wouldnt feel confident just saddling up and riding off to round up some cattle. It really is directed more at overseas ppl, like back packers etc. i also didnt agree with the way they treated their stock, very old fashioned, yelling and hitting etc, rather than the more modern low stress methods.

if you are going to spend your money, i would suggest a tafe course would proablbly be better, coz at least then you get a recognisable qualification. But a lot of places will take ppl with no experience, so if you want to be a jillaroo, maybe try working on one of those places for a while to get some experience under your belt. The leconfield ppl arent really good at finding you a job either, they offer you work on the property, for really crap pay (as in $80 a week) or just call up places with ads in the paper, which you could do for yourself.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Thanks for that mate, I'm thinking I might go to the Dubbo course, or perhaps even apply for a job. I wouldn't do it until the end of the year, figure I might as well see this year of Uni out. (even if I am failing ;)) It's just something I've always wanted to do.

Do you find work once you finished, or was the course more for your enjoyment?

Cheers mate

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i just did it for enjoyment, and it counted towards the work experience requirement for my course, so i didnt find work. A few ppl were looking for work, one guy went to work in a abbatoir (he just wanted any work though, that paid lots), one girl stayed on the property to work with the owners daughter in her horse training courses, but most ppl just did it for the experience more than anything. and those that wanted work were backpackers who wanted money, moreso than specific jackarooing work.
i wouldnt mind working as a jackaroo though, it would be a good experience, but my course is so hard core i dont htink i could take a year off really...
anyways, hope you enjoy working if you end up doing it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)