Job as a chef- whats it like (1 Viewer)

IceBreaker

HSC
im planning to most likely get an apprenticeship in commercial cookery after HSC this year.(if i dont get 70+uai) its basically 4 days working and 1 day at tafe a week.

i understand that chef is a physically demanding job with irregular hrs and giving up lots of your own free time.i did hospo at school and it was ok except for the cleaning up and i drop hospo(damm maybe shoudn't have). As for the job demand for hospitality in the future, i think there will be no problems as demand will rise and governments giving more apprenticeshoips and incentives due to Economic growth in australia.

*what are some of the things i need to know?/How hard is it?
*what are my rights?
*which tafe is good to do commercial cookery?
*any good advice to prepare myself

Last edited:

corro

HSC
why not go work part time as a kitchen hand, get experience in the kitchen see if its something you want to do for the rest of your life.

My uncle was a chef for about 10-15 years, he didnt mind the work so much the hours just got too much when he had a family. My cousin just finished his apprenticeships, complained the hours were shit, no freetime, hardwork, theres often a lot of arguments/fighting amongst staff working under pressure in trying conditions.

Last edited:

chelzmalee

death by pastry
HSC
I'll just add that I did 2 weeks of work exp. as a chef, the first lot I loved. Great environment, but fucked up hours. 10am-2pm, 6-10pm. My second lot sucked balls. Hot kitchen (40 degrees plus, in that stupid uniform), shit people, same shit over and over and over again.

I'd agree with corro and go part time first. It's a very repetitive sector, i.e cut the same veges everyday yeadda yadda. But you also get to be creative and stuff.

HSC
chelzmalee said:
I'll just add that I did 2 weeks of work exp. as a chef, the first lot I loved. Great environment, but fucked up hours. 10am-2pm, 6-10pm. My second lot sucked balls. Hot kitchen (40 degrees plus, in that stupid uniform), shit people, same shit over and over and over again.

I'd agree with corro and go part time first. It's a very repetitive sector, i.e cut the same veges everyday yeadda yadda. But you also get to be creative and stuff.
Yeah hours ARE fucked... If u dun liek being on ur feet all day, dont be a chef.. hmm what else.... its really good to have industry knowledge (eg yr 12 hospo) but not essential... The pay is mega shit (for apprentices) but if ur not worried bout that then i say go for it.

Lyte

HSC
I work as a kitchen hand at the moment and let me tell you I won't be working as one much longer. I recommend only going into that line of work if you're really passionate about it and love what you do.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Since most people have pointed out the negetives, here are some of the positives.

-Once you are qualified and have some experience you can pick and choose where you want to work. Chefs are usually quite transient, and if one place pisses you off you can get a job somewhere else pretty easily.
-You could potentially use your skills to open your own business, or move in to the kitchen management side of things.
-Being a chef is a very versatile skill which is appreciated all over the world. Plus you can work as a chef in a variety of positions, from cooking food for college students, to top hotels, cruise ships, old people's homes.... there are a lot of opportunities.
-Once you get good the pay is decent

But yes, long crappy hours, sore feet, can be very repetitive esp when you are an apprentice.

But every job has it's pros and cons. I think you would have to have a passion for it though.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You can apply to compete, and eventually BE an Iron Chef. It's my #3 ambition.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
dude Iron Chef is like for asians only! they like cook stuff i wouldnt eat, instead try creating ur own cooking show!

IceBreaker

HSC
got some good response here, thanks.i know the hrs are pretty fucked and it can get stressing some time, thats why if i do i probably be working at a club not a hotel or a restaurant, My Restaurant Rules totally puts me off.

IceBreaker

HSC
Lyte said:
I work as a kitchen hand at the moment and let me tell you I won't be working as one much longer. I recommend only going into that line of work if you're really passionate about it and love what you do.
i wouldn't im 100% passionate about food but mainly the satisfaction of a hard day of work, im not sure yet still confused. they pay is about $6.per/hr for 1st yr apprentice.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
a friend does commercial cookery at tafe and is an apprentice chef and says that while the tafe course is pretty damn easy, its the work that kills you.

as it's been said, long odd hours with a lot of "interesting" people. you really need a drive to stay with it and like it. its a killer on the social life and the pay is immensely low. $6.60per/hr is the award but if you get salary its about $250.

if you're not passionate about it, then i'd really reconsider it. he loves to cook and wants to stay in the hospitality industry but says he'd want to do something else given the chance.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
My Restaurant Rules was fairly tame.... those huge kitchens in 5 star hotels and stuff would be the most stressful I reckon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)