Jobs during uni related to Psychology? (1 Viewer)

Rythen

HSC
Hi, I'm 18 this year and going to study Psych to hopefully become a Psychologist after Masters (well at least right now I would like to).

What exactly are some jobs/volunteer work/etc. that can be done during uni related to this? I have a bit of job experience but in fast food so it's really unrelated.

Thanks for any ideas and tips.

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I'm assuming you mean you want to be a clinical psych after masters?

There's a whole heap of different areas of psych. If you wanted to go into organisational psych, getting a position in a marketing or human resources position could help. If you want to go into clinical, having experience in a medical centre might be beneficial. I've volunteered previously with mental illness support groups.

If you're more into research, unis (esp PHD students) often want some help in running/researching their studies. You could even look up a 'potential careers' page and see what would be something you could do that's similar in a part-time role.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
Yeah, email heaps of academics at uni

first of all, look them up on the uni web page and make sure their area of research interests you. send them an email (be professional, obvs. it's liek applying for a job)

tell them that their area of research really interests you and you want to do some RA (research assistant) work. Attach your resume and say you'd really appreciate being considered etc etc just like a cover letter.
I'm trying to get some in education at uon. One of my friends does it (it pays $32 an hour!!! (!!!)) and she does a lot of data collation and has supervised studies and stuff. it's really good experience if you're planning on doing honours because you get a feel for a) research and b) the bureaucracy (ethics approval etc).

if you're looking for psych stuff, i'd definitely consider the RA path. Get your name out there as well so if you do any thesis writing it'll be easier to narrow down what you want to do and also get your name out there in to the faculty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)