Joining / Making a soccer team @ UNSW (1 Viewer)

TheKey

HSC
I spent a year at UNSW and im still kinda confused about how sport is coordinated, i went once into that "sport office" next to the main walkway and it seems they only have sport for beginers or something where you pay them to teach you how to play..

Also in the UNiGym you have to pay to play for a few hours..but i couldnt find any information on how to actually get into the competitions where i assume you pay once to register your team and then you have competition games every week or whatever it might be.

Im specifically looking at soccer, or indoor soccer so if you play/played in competition games could you post how and when you apply to be entered in the 2005 season. Oh and one last thing does you team have to consist of UNSW students only or could you have anyone in the team?

sunny

meh.
HSC
TheKey said:
I spent a year at UNSW and im still kinda confused about how sport is coordinated, i went once into that "sport office" next to the main walkway and it seems they only have sport for beginers or something where you pay them to teach you how to play..

Also in the UNiGym you have to pay to play for a few hours..but i couldnt find any information on how to actually get into the competitions where i assume you pay once to register your team and then you have competition games every week or whatever it might be.

Im specifically looking at soccer, or indoor soccer so if you play/played in competition games could you post how and when you apply to be entered in the 2005 season. Oh and one last thing does you team have to consist of UNSW students only or could you have anyone in the team?
You have to get in touch with the soccer club. Of course it may be a bit late now, but you should see them in a stall during O-week and first week of semester.

The courses you saw at the SA Office are called Recreation Courses (Rec Courses) - they are meant to be beginner courses that introduce people to a sport.

TheKey

HSC
oh ok, so you actually have to join the sports club before you can do competitons. Il check it out on o-week then, thanks sunny.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Hi.

Guys soccer at the uni is broken up into two parts. There's three teams that play in the Soccer NSW Mens State League (Division II), and 6 teams that play in the Eastern Suburbs competitions. They want to increase the number of ES teams from what i've heard.

I'm not sure how the Eastern Suburbs trials/teams work, but I can tell you about the State League process...

I got to uni in O-Week and trials had started I think (I missed the first couple of weeks... still had to get boots), but you can tryout pretty much any time if you are good enough. All you have to do is come down to Dave Phillips ovals, on a Tuesday or Thursday night for training/trials in the early weeks. Training starts at 7PM, and depending on your coach, should go until 9PM. (But it was rare that our team got away before 9:30 most times)
Our first game was in March, so failry early.
Our games are spread all over the place, but usually in Western Sydney (as the second division teams are mostly from out there).

The three state league teams are in age divisions, so theres a 1st grade team (which is Uni Firsts), a 21s team, and a 19s team.
The 19s have a tradition of doing really well... We won this year (you might have read that in Blitz sometime...), and the year before.

So if you want to try out for state league teams, just come down to DP ovals Tuesday or Thursday 7PM at the start of the year.

As for the Eastern Suburbs comp, they train wednesday night (i think), but i'm not sure how their trials/selection process goes. Maybe if you checked the soccer site for the uni you'd be able to find something. I know there is a map on there of the training locations (or there was)...

http://unswsoccer.brinkster.net/

Cheers,
Michael.

Azn_Phoenix

HSC
Hey...is there a Futsal club or competition running @ New sth?? Does anyone have info. on that?

Also, are there any UNSW runned competition that go throught-out the year, against possibly other uni or schools??

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)