Joseph Heller (1 Viewer)

the leader

HSC
Joseph Heller was the guy who wrote Catch-22, which is his most famous book. Seeing as none of my friends have been able to finish Catch-22, or have read any of his other books, I can't really talk to anyone about it (or any of his other works, like God Knows, Something Happened, or Good as Gold). COME ON PEOPLE!! DISCUSS!!

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
i JUST read catch-22
orsumest book... but ... it gets kinda sad at the end :(

lol i love his incredibly digressive style. and great characters and idiosyncrasis. all in all thumbs up from me

IceOnFire

HSC
We are doing Catch 22 in english ext.. hmmmm.. i read to pg 21...
yeah.. interesting so far i guess

the leader

HSC
Yeah, I ended up hating everyone (who is still alive) except Yossarian, Orr, the Chaplian and Major Danby in the end. Have you read Closing Time?

PterodactylFace

HSC
This is the second most over-rated book I have ever read (behind Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Modern classic? No way. I found it to be practically a chore to read. The characters are vastly unreal, illogical and annoying, as are the scenarios. I realise that this is sort of the point (the "absurdity of war") but it was over the top to me. The theme is good and some aspects of the characters but I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's certainly not funny, which many people seem to think it is.

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Wrong. I realise that that is your opinion, but it is wrong.

Catch 22 is one of the few books that makes me laugh out loud uncontrollably (the grunting scene, anyone?).

It is probably my all time favorite book.

I personanlly hate all the characters. All of them. And this is the point.

But I am also a massive Hitchhikers Guide fan, so perhaps it is just that style of humour.

PterodactylFace

HSC
Egronk said:
Catch 22 is one of the few books that makes me laugh out loud uncontrollably (the grunting scene, anyone?).

But I am also a massive Hitchhikers Guide fan, so perhaps it is just that style of humour.
Your sense of humour needs improvement.

the leader

HSC
PterodactylFace said:
This is the second most over-rated book I have ever read (behind Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Modern classic? No way. I found it to be practically a chore to read. The characters are vastly unreal, illogical and annoying, as are the scenarios. I realise that this is sort of the point (the "absurdity of war") but it was over the top to me. The theme is good and some aspects of the characters but I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's certainly not funny, which many people seem to think it is.
Now really, why read a book if its a chore? Of course you would't have enjoyed it if you were forcing yourself to read it.

When Catch-22 was first published, The NY Times said something along the lines of "It will not be forgotten by those who can take it". Seems like you are one of those unfortunate people who cannot handle it. See, the reason many people seem to think it's funny is because they HAVE a sense of humour. Of course something is funny if people think it is. How else would you tell?

P.S. Sorry for being pedantic, but you never closed your parentheses.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm reading Catch 22 now...hilarious! It's that kind of satirical genre set in the war period--same with Evelyn Waugh, particularly Scoop.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
The Good: The excellent comedic timing, and the bizarre egg scam perpetrated by Milo Minderbinder. Major Major Major (Major?) is also a great concept.

The Bad: The wacky repetitive storylines. It's kinda hard to keep track of things, but hey, sum of parts and all that jazz.

The Ugly: the sheer horror and pathos as Yossarian's life breaks down towards the end of the book, with a-plenty of rape and murder thrown in the mix. Especially what with Nate and his whore.

gerhard

HSC
The first time I tried to read it I didnt like it at all and gave up after a few chapters.
The second time I tried to read it, it became my second favourite book.

I think you have to go into the book with the right frame of mind. Dont expect something serious like I first did, the book is a comedy. And its fucking hilarious.

Also the book is written more like a tv series, with a chapter corresponding to an episode. You dont really have to remember the plot of each chapter, as they are reasonably self contained, but there still are general storylines that follow through the chapters.

the leader

HSC
I still don't get the egg scam. I've read Milo's little explanation of how he pulls it off many, many times - but it still doesn't click.
Does it actually make sense??

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
It was one of those books that took me a couple of tries to get past the first chapter, but once i did, hell, was it ever worth it!

Amazingly funny, amazingly sad, amazingly creative, just plain amazing.

I still vividly remember being hit by the realisation about half way through - 'they are all going to die, all these characters that we have been introduced to, they are going to die.' And I just through that was so brilliant, the way that Heller made me feel the way that so many people involved in was must, the sudden shock realisation that this is real, and most of us aren't coming out alive... So powerful.

Really love it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)