Joss Whedon's 'Firefly': "Objects in Space" - Related text for Belonging? (1 Viewer)

sempermaria

HSC
I don't know if there are many people who watch it, but would an episode of Firefly directed by Joss Whedon be okay?

Particularly the episode "Objects in Space", focusing on River's not belonging to the crew. I'm starting with the idea of not belonging culturally but then counter with the fact that (not) belonging is not only present in culturally diverse people, but also others.

In summation, less of what makes us who we are, but what we make of ourselves - if that even makes sense. I never liked existentialism...

If it's an okay related text, any hints as to go about it?

m1tch37

HSC
If I was marking it i'd give it full marks just for your awesome choice of text!

I'm sure you could find plenty of examples of River and Simon being alienated. I would also consider the episode Ariel where they are sold out by Jayne but by the end he realises their place in the crew given Simons skills.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Unfortunately, you don't get full marks for choice of texts. :(

sempermaria

HSC
Sadly enough, yeah. Then again, while I have confidence that Whedon's shows has a ginormous fanbase over here, I highly doubt my essay could land in the hands of a Firefly-fanatic HSC marker. And my luck hasn't exactly been favourable lately.

'Ariel's a good place to look for belonging. I just thought of 'Objects in Space' mostly because of that bit where River is listening in on the crew + Simon talking about how dangerous and mentally unstable she is then the random bounty hunter guy came in.

Dr. Simon Tam: So you're a bounty hunter.
Jubal Early: No, that ain't it at all.
Dr. Simon Tam: Then what are you?
Jubal Early: I'm a bounty hunter.

XD Kills me everytime.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Sadly enough, yeah. Then again, while I have confidence that Whedon's shows has a ginormous fanbase over here, I highly doubt my essay could land in the hands of a Firefly-fanatic HSC marker. And my luck hasn't exactly been favourable lately.

'Ariel's a good place to look for belonging. I just thought of 'Objects in Space' mostly because of that bit where River is listening in on the crew + Simon talking about how dangerous and mentally unstable she is then the random bounty hunter guy came in.

Dr. Simon Tam: So you're a bounty hunter.
Jubal Early: No, that ain't it at all.
Dr. Simon Tam: Then what are you?
Jubal Early: I'm a bounty hunter.

XD Kills me everytime.
This quote makes my spine crawl every time...
[Kaylee hears something and crawls out from under engine...]Kaylee: River? .... River? [startled by Early] Wah!Early: I like this ship.... Serenity.... she's good looking.Kaylee: [stuttering] Ha-how how did you.... g-get on-Early: Strains the mind a bit don'it? You think you're all alone.... maybe I come down the chimney, Kaylee, bring presents to the good girls and boys. Maybe not, though. Maybe I've always been here.Kaylee: What do you want?Early: [looks at engine with double meaning.] That's a beating heart isn't it? Pull off any one of a thousand parts she'll just die. Such a slender thread.... [coldly] You ever been raped?Kaylee: [almost in tears.] Th-the captain is right down the hall-hallway- He.... c-can.... hear you-Early: The captain is locked in his quarters. They all are. There's nobody can help you... Say it.Kaylee: [breathless.] There's.... there's nobody can help me.Early: I'm gonna tie you up now-Kaylee: [whimpers.]Early: And you know what I'm gonna do then? I'm gonna give you a present. Get rid of a problem you've got. And I won't touch you in any wrong fashion, nor hurt you at all, unless you make some kind of ruckus. You throw a monkey wrench into my dealings in any way, your body is forfeit. Ain't nothing but a body to me and I can find all unseemly manner of use for it. Do you understand?Kaylee: [holding back tears.] Yes.Early: Turn around and put your hands behind yer back.Kaylee: Oh ughhhh.... [moans, but does as she's told.]Early: [From behind her as he ties her up.] Now tell me Kaylee, where does River sleep?
In all honesty, Don't give a flying shit about whether or not the markers like or know your text. It's about how well you treat it. Explain it as textual evidence as if they already know the text (don't try and give background... you'll insult their intelligence, seeing as I'm sure SOMEONE in the markers room will have seen it).

Worry more about quotes from the show... quotes from Whedon and others about the episode, visual techniques he uses (like the handheld camera look of the show etc)

sempermaria

HSC
Alrighty. Thanks Teclis for that. The quote makes me shiver a tad too.

Now, time to sum it up into easy-to-remember points.

Nyxie

HSC
Great idea using firefly as a related text. There are so many opportunities to explore. You could talk about them being alienated from society by living on Serenity and flying under the radar.

Yay for Browncoats!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)