Just a little confused about making notes... (1 Viewer)

WildestDreams

HSC
Okay so basically when making notes, there's three columns - the dot point, "students learn to:", and "students:"
Where do I make the notes from? From "students learn to" or "students." And should I be making these notes while I'm learning it in class? And how often should I revise?

Soz for so many questions :p

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I'm assuming you mean science subjects lol, but the advice applies to most subjects
Write notes on all the dot points including students learn to and students:
Generally speaking, it's recommended to organise your notes under each mini-dotpoint i.e

1.1.4 - Identify that mechanical waves require a medium for propagation while electromagnetic waves do not

Mechanical waves blah blah propagation blah blah electromagnetic waves blah blah induces magnetic field blaha blah[HR][/HR]

Typically for prelim there aren't as many resources available online, so I just made notes based of the textbook and my teacher.
I tend to learn things ahead of class and writing notes by reading the textbook or something so you when you do it in class a) You already know it, so it's just revision or b) You know it well enough to ask good questions (but I didn't do this in prelim until like towards the end of the year cuz ceebs lol). If you do this, make sure you still amend you're notes if you get something in class you didnt already have (relevant info you missed/better understanding)

Really how often you revise depends on you; how well are you retaining everything, and how much are you not. Past papers are a great way to consolidate knowledge, but again they're a little hard to come by for prelim stuff

jathu123

HSC
The 'students learn to' is the theory part and the other one is the prac. It's better to make notes on both of them, as the prac ones are in fact important.
For example, the second dot point in the 'students' column from the very first part of chemistry talks about separating a mixture of sand salt and water, and making notes on this (as how to carry out the process etc) is kinda important since most schools does the gravimetric analysis prac (involves separating and measuring similar mixtures to this). So making notes on this section will help you in the pract time, also some questions from this column also comes in those 'theory' exams. So it's always better to make notes on both columns.

Regarding when to make it, I think, in my opinion, its better if you make it before your class. Try your best to understand the concept and make notes on it before you actually learn it in class, doing this will greatly deepen your understanding when you actually learn it in class, as well as pointing out any mistakes (if you did any) when you made your notes beforehand. So I suggest staying ahead of your school by about a page or one whole dot point (the first column) of the syllabus.

In terms of when to revise, I don't really know any good times, maybe revise it everyday until you know the content off by heart? Basically revise it whenever you can but make sure you do revise the ones that you don't understand most frequently

WildestDreams

HSC
Oh okay thanks for the help! And would I do the same for other subjects, like humanities/arts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)