Just got my first first Ext 2 Maths mark back and I feel pretty bad about it. (1 Viewer)

jackli1235

HSC
Got 49% on my first ext 2 task. It was kind of the culmination of a perfect storm, but either way this is what I got. The teacher was saying that I wouldn't be able to get a band 4 at all now, due to this mark and that I should drop the class. I've been wanting to do this subject for years and I felt really discouraged when he said it to me. Is there really no point in trying now that I cant achieve a band 4? I dunno what to do. Thanks for any advice.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
i honestly dont know why teachers say shit that's 100% untrue, doing poorly in ur very first hsc task is a common exp with most students. this mark isn't a reflection of how ur gonna go in the class itself, and given the fact that ur rlly passionate abt this subject u can definitely work hard to get e4. dont drop imo, see how ur next task goes and how u perform relative to the rest of ur cohort

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
you can definitely still get e4 as that task probs wasn't weighted much
ext 2 is the best subject to stuff up an assessment task, as it's the easiest to climb back up when you factor in the low percentages most people end on
however, to improve you're probs gonna need to change your approach or get tutoring (unless this was a one off)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
One thing to ask yourself is: can I be salvaged? If so, how? Did you get 49% because that's a fair reflection of your ability? If you think you are capable of doing much better, then there is hope. Are you doing any tuition? If not, some additional assistance may help. If you're already going to a coaching centre, then ask yourself if 49% is all you are capable of, even with the additional help?

jackli1235

HSC
Did you accelerate advanced maths ? If so what was your mark ? If you scored high 90’s I would keep that mark, drop mx2 and do mx1. Your timetable would free right up. Mx2 is a huge investment in time - potentially to the detriment of other subjects.
No I didn't. As for its impact on other subjects, it hasn't completely had a negative effect, I was just bummed about the ext2.

jackli1235

HSC
One thing to ask yourself is: can I be salvaged? If so, how? Did you get 49% because that's a fair reflection of your ability? If you think you are capable of doing much better, then there is hope. Are you doing any tuition? If not, some additional assistance may help. If you're already going to a coaching centre, then ask yourself if 49% is all you are capable of, even with the additional help?
I'm probably gonna try revamping my study strats. What I was doing in year 11 clearly isn't working as well so I'll try change some habits over the holidays.

jackli1235

HSC
i honestly dont know why teachers say shit that's 100% untrue, doing poorly in ur very first hsc task is a common exp with most students. this mark isn't a reflection of how ur gonna go in the class itself, and given the fact that ur rlly passionate abt this subject u can definitely work hard to get e4. dont drop imo, see how ur next task goes and how u perform relative to the rest of ur cohort
Thanks man. I'll stick with it for another term and try harder. I was just worried if what he said had any merit and I just wanted to hear from another perspective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)