Just turned 18 with no work experience. Any tips on finding jobs and what type??????? (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
I just turned 18.
I have no working experience at all. I want to start working but I have no clue where I should work.
I want to leave any fast food jobs as a last option. (eg, mc donalds)

I was thinking about Coles/Woolworths, working at the counter.
What would be my chance of getting a job offer there? since I have absolutely no work experience.
Also does anyone know how much they would pay an hour?

Any other tips on types of jobs I could be looking for would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: Just turned 18 with no work experience. Any tips on finding jobs and what type???

You can perhaps put places like Gloria Jeans on your list, where responsibilities include making the coffee, serving customers (people serving customers don't necessarily make coffee), cleaning etc.

Gloria Jeans pays ~$15 per hour when you first start as an 18 year old.

Before starting, you might want to try one of those Barista courses to get a "Certificate". However, those paid certificates are nowhere near the value of a Gloria Jeans endorsed certificate.

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Re: Just turned 18 with no work experience. Any tips on finding jobs and what type???

Nah not really interested in making food etc..

Any other tips?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

Nah not really interested in making food etc..

Any other tips?
Quite frankly, the phrase "Beggars can't be choosers" is quite applicable here.

As an 18 year old, you are going to have to just grab whatever you can for the mean time and then perhaps apply for other jobs later on.

Unfortunately, you don't really have the freedom of choice now.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Have you done any extracurricular activities?

D94

HSC
N/A

nah not really.
Well, you should probably do some.

Exactly what are you going to write on your resume if you haven't got work experience, haven't done any extra-curricular activities, and you can't really talk about team work, leadership etc. because you haven't done anything to show those skills?

mirakon

nigga
HSC

Quite frankly, the phrase "Beggars can't be choosers" is quite applicable here.

As an 18 year old, you are going to have to just grab whatever you can for the mean time and then perhaps apply for other jobs later on.

Unfortunately, you don't really have the freedom of choice now.
This

Portrayal

HSC

If you have no work experience why are you ruling out McDonalds? It's a workplace that looks good on any resume because it shows you can work in a team, work under pressure and such.

HSC

lrn2 deep throat

soloooooo

HSC
N/A

Just apply everywhere.

Portrayal

HSC

Shadow, if it gets him a job, he probably should learn.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Shadow, if it gets him a job, he probably should learn.
Well, personally - I'd think he'd prefer to use his mouth as a receptacle for food, and not semen.

But you know... if the OP wishes to use himself as a sperm receptacle - then who are we to deny him his dream?

HSC
Uni Grad

just to let you know, apply for retail stores right after the trials, it's the best time to do so (Y)

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A

If you dont want want to work in fast food theres still heaps of other options such as:

- retail
- cinemas
- hospitality industry

Good Luck

ellie95

HSC
N/A

Perhaps a phone shop or retail (clothing) or maybe even childcare

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC

I just turned 18.
I have no working experience at all. I want to start working but I have no clue where I should work.
I want to leave any fast food jobs as a last option. (eg, mc donalds)

I was thinking about Coles/Woolworths, working at the counter.
What would be my chance of getting a job offer there? since I have absolutely no work experience.
Also does anyone know how much they would pay an hour?

Any other tips on types of jobs I could be looking for would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.
My pot-head friend got a job at woolies with no prior work experience and minimal extracurricular. I'm sure you'll be able to.

lrn2 deep throat
That's also an option, I hear the pay's really good.

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A

You can perhaps put places like Gloria Jeans on your list, where responsibilities include making the coffee, serving customers (people serving customers don't necessarily make coffee), cleaning etc.

Gloria Jeans pays ~$15 per hour when you first start as an 18 year old.

Before starting, you might want to try one of those Barista courses to get a "Certificate". However, those paid certificates are nowhere near the value of a Gloria Jeans endorsed certificate.
I plan to get a job before going to university. Gloria Jeans doesn't sound too bad :)

Stupid question but are you allowed to ask your employer if you can only work on the weekends?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)