Juz A Question (1 Viewer)

indn_boi

HSC
I chose Standard English. I really don like English. But my parents and freinds are bohtering me and sayin 2 take up the exetention english, their belief is tht with standard english ur scalin is not very gud and tht it is very hard 2 get above 85%. Is this true? Please Advice... :confused:

timrie6

HSC
N/A
compromise and do straight advanced 2U english - it scales good but you don't have to do too much extra work that you would have to do in extension.

modelzsuck

Kylie
HSC
I think with standard it is alot easier to get higher or at the top of the marks but with advanced it is harder to because your competing against the people in the state who love english and are really good at it.

A l

HSC
N/A
modelzsuck said:
I think with standard it is alot easier to get higher or at the top of the marks but with advanced it is harder to because your competing against the people in the state who love english and are really good at it.
Have you ever noticed that only two or three people get band 6 in English (Standard)? It is equally hard to top English (Standard) as it is to top English (Advanced) thanks to the standards setting procedure from judges from the Board Of Studies. It just happens to be that the candidates in English (Standard) GENERALLY have a lower ability in English than those in English (Advanced) which results in lower results and aligned marks in the HSC.

If you hate English, then you are likely suffer if you take English Extension. Don't take a course just because it scales high. If your ability in the course is not so well then scaling won't help at all, thus your UAI would go down the drain. Anyway, English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are scaled the same. So it all comes down to interests, commitment and ability.

Yes, it is true that it is difficult to get above 85 in English (Standard), but its only the aligning process that does this. Scaling does not use your reported HSC mark. If you are willing to make the commitment to your English then take English (Advanced) otherwise stick to English (Standard). I wouldn't recommend taking English Extension since you are likely to suffer and get poor marks in it.

sladehk

le random
HSC
How does ESL compare to those standard and advanced

A l

HSC
N/A
The ESL course consists of something called 'Language Study Within An Area Of Study". This is their equivalent to the Area Of Study taken in Standard and Advanced. It explores the Area Of Study within language only. It has a 90 minute examination in similar format as the Standard/Advanced Paper 1. The second part is the modules which are similar (if not the same) as the English (Standard) modules [Experience Through Language & Texts And Society]. The difference is that ESL candidates do two modules instead of three as an one hour examination.

In terms of scaling, ESL is scaled as an individual course and is not combined with the Advanced/Standard scale. The distribution of aligned marks was fairly average in 2004 where 3091 candidates took the HSC examination.

ESL Performance 2004:
2004 Candidature - 3091

Band 6: 1.00%
Band 5: 23.26%
Band 4: 30.60%
Band 3: 25.68%
Band 2: 11.84%
Band 1: 6.59%

English (Standard) Performance 2004:
2004 Candidature - 31019

Band 6: 0.00% (Since 2 people make up less than 0.01% of the candidature)
Band 5: 1.97%
Band 4: 30.13%
Band 3: 47.68%
Band 2: 18.65%
Band 1: 1.11%

English (Advanced) Performance 2004:
2004 Candidature - 27004

Band 6: 7.56%
Band 5: 42.53%
Band 4: 39.93%
Band 3: 9.02%
Band 2: 0.68%
Band 1: 0.12%

English Extension 1 Performance 2004:
2004 Candidature - 5976

Band E4: 22.69%
Band E3: 58.63%
Band E2: 16.88%
Band E1: 1.72%

English Extension 2 Performance 2004:
2004 Candidature - 2446

Band E4: 39.41%
Band E3: 47.34%
Band E2: 10.75%
Band E1: 2.28%

7minute

HSC
indn_boi said:
I chose Standard English. I really don like English. But my parents and freinds are bohtering me and sayin 2 take up the exetention english, their belief is tht with standard english ur scalin is not very gud and tht it is very hard 2 get above 85%. Is this true? Please Advice... :confused:
I may be wrong on this, but don't you have to do English Advanced and not Standard if you want to do Extension 1? To do the extension course you would have to swap over to the Advanced 2 unit course as well.

My personal advice to you is, don't let other people talk you into doing HSC subjects that you don't want to do. It's your decision and you are the one who has to put in the work and do the exams. By all means, if possible try the Extension (and Advanced 2 unit) course just to see what it entails. And if they don't suit, you can go back to Standard. (Maybe check with your school first! :) ) I know people who hated the 2 unit English stuff but loved the Extension. At the end of the day, though, you should do what you feel is right for you.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
concur to above post!! :)

i've wanted to get into English extension2 , but im not excellent in english , i onli like to write short-stories etc etc.

advanced is kinda hard at the start ,, though it'd get better later on in the year
when the pressure of the teachers gets off from saying stuff about the hsc ,, blah blah blah .

anywayz u'll onli get good UAI if u achieve optimal results within the subject u chose. :) regardlesss of any scaling, etc.
but choosing 2 many scaling down subjects , imo, wouldn't be too health for ur uai ! :)

meaghan_louise

HSC
indn_boi said:

Hey, I'm doing extension english. It's MUCH different to your normal standard or advanced, alot more work.
Anyways, if you're really concerned about your english then move up to Advanced...it may mean a tad more extra work, but if you are prepared to put in the effort, by all means go for it.

Basically it's your decision...but really, if english isn't really your thing...don't take on extension.

lala2

Banned
HSC
english extension 1 requires a lot of readng into texts and exploring their contexts, relating the issues raised in such texts to the cnotext of the time, e.g. the author's personal context, the social/economical/scientific/political/philosophical/educational context of the time, etc. It takes a lot of independent investgiation and discpline, because the taecher isn't really supposed to help you that mcuh.

Pesronally, I love EE1 way better than Adv--I keep reading too much into Adv and there's nothing behind it. But yeah, try EE1, then drop to Adv, and then to Standard if yuo're not capable. It's easier to drop down than to go up. Seek advice of past HSC candidates, both at your school, other friend's, on this board, and also yuor teachers, but never choose a subject just because of a teacher: it's a very bad idea.

Good luck!

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
indn_boi said:
basically from what i heard, is this. styandard and advanced get marked the same in the HSC therefore yuor competing against all the advance people. Naturally if yuor doing standard its expected that yuor skills of english wont get yuo above 85%. but for example in 2005 only 2 people from standard got over 90% . and none the year before. its possible but just unlikely becuase standard doesnt teach enough for yuo to write that well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)