King Lear Help!!! (1 Viewer)

Jezabel2411

HSC
Hey!
This is an assessment task that we were given in English:-

"Two people who value your prescribed text in different ways and for different reasons are having a conversation.
Compose thier conversation which should include consideration of the structure, language and ideas of the text."

What its asking me to do is to practically make a my onw King lear play and talk about costumes, background, how to play the characters, setting etc. I get that bit. But it actually sounds harder than it looks. I have know idea where to start. This question was asked in the 2002 HSC English Paper 2. I can't find any info and I dont really have an imagination. LOL!

If anybody has any ideas or websites where I can info that would be great. If not, thats fine.

Thanks.

BigBear_25

HSC
Jezabel2411 said:
"Two people who value your prescribed text in different ways and for different reasons are having a conversation.
Compose thier conversation which should include consideration of the structure, language and ideas of the text."

What its asking me to do is to practically make a my onw King lear play and talk about costumes, background, how to play the characters, setting etc. I get that bit.
Well firstly i think you have misinterpreted the question. It doesnt actually ask
you to create your own production of King Lear. What you essentially have to do is create a conversation that express two different ways of valuing the text. That is talk about two different readings of the play.

Different readings (just in case you don't know)
- Historicist (Dominant; A.C Bradley)
- Feminist (Kathleen McLuskie)
- Exsistentialist (Terry Egalton)
(these are critics you could use)
other readings:
- political
- Family
-psycoanalytical

Your teacher should have taught atleast three different readings and if they haven't, i'd ask them to.

In structuring the conversation have firstly both speakers introduce the way in which they value the play (i.e what reading they agree with)

Talk about three values for each reading (depending on the time you have).

State the value, give an example of the quote or how the structure of the play reflects this (analyse the quote that is state the technique), then quote a critic and a quote from their essay which supports this idea or refer to a production and how the production techniques emphasise the value and then link the context of the critic or producer (for a production) and show how this has influcened thier interpretation. You can talk about context first if you want.

Remember, this module a critical study of a text always talk about the language/ structure is used and how it affects meaning. Foreground the language and anaylse it. You also have to know how the text has been valued over time so you have to talk about how the context on the reader in various time peroid has affected their interpretation.

Another thing don't get entangled in using different productions as the core of your writing. A lot of students fall into the trap of analysing productions and all that and do very little with King Lear which really shows the marker nothing.

If you want some more solid info search the Resources section of this website. Or google for info (this might not really help). But your teacher should give you ample info on readings and if they havent you should hassle them and if that doesn't work complain to the Head Teacher.

Hope this was helpful.:)

Tim035

HSC
This is also either the 2001 or 2002 HSC King Lear question, so it'd definatly be worth going onto board of studies and looking at the marking guidelines and markers comments for the question.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Jezabel2411 said:
Hey!
This is an assessment task that we were given in English:-

What its asking me to do is to practically make a my onw King lear play and talk about costumes, background, how to play the characters, setting etc. I get that bit. But it actually sounds harder than it looks. I have know idea where to start. This question was asked in the 2002 HSC English Paper 2. I can't find any info and I dont really have an imagination. LOL!

If anybody has any ideas or websites where I can info that would be great. If not, thats fine.

Thanks.
Check your email I sent you a message. If it doesnt arrive let me know.

Pwner

HSC
N/A
hey i got an assignement for english, i need help with paradox;s in king lear, mainly concerning 'sight and blindness' if you could explain to me some relevant things from King Lear focused around this it would be much appreciated... or give me a link to an essay that is like this... thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)