King Lear (1 Viewer)

Kirsti

HSC
silvermoon said:
"Oh, but i didn't study, so i went quite well for that amount of effort..."
lol, and that is EXACTLY what I say after each exam.
I don't study so that I can make myself feel good about my natural brilliance :D:D

anyway, don't anyone EVER compare yourself to moonie. Especially at English. She'll just make you feel bad. I don't think she knows the true meaning of the word fail :p (or... i would think that if i didn't know that she knows absolutely everything!)

Kirsti

HSC
Oh yeah, productions......umm.. either 2 or 3. I write slowly too so might leave out the third :(

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
thanx kirsti! twisted compliment...but i'll take it anyway.
yes, i do back up my readings with productions. i tend to talk about - depending on the question of course - a production, its context, the techniques the director uses and how this establishes the reading for us (though, integrated of course, not just one thing after another). so, i end up doing at least four actual productions - christian reading: Blessed, absurdist/nihilistic reading: Brooke and for Eyre's production i do a psychoanalytic reading and a family/domestic drama reading. the personal interpretation comes in via my analysis. but, i write a at reasonable speed: wrote enough for trials, but didnt write enough for in-class task (only 4 and a bit pages - i was so cut!)

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
And i wrote what moonie? Less than 2? No wonder i did so badly in Lear...

I was going to do three productions (Blessed, Brooke, Eyre) but tried writing what i would put in an essay and its already over 3 pages typed. So i'm cutting out Brooke.

D

dude431

Silvermoon: How many words is your essay?

I can only write about 1000-1200 words per 40 minutes, hence I am limited to just 2 productions -> 600 words each.

Tina: 2 is the absolute minimum, however if you do the two of them well, then you're going to get a good mark regardless. I would agree with you in that 3 productions in-depth is just way too much to write... unless of course you can write really fast.

I know some people that can write 1800-2000... :p

They're psycho.

Last edited by a moderator:

frazzle

HSC
psycho indeed! i'm stuck on my 1000... if i stick to the allocated time for each section! so that mmeans the question i do last is the one i write the least for, and the one i get the worst mark for...

about productions/readings, and how many to do, i'm planning on doign 2 in depth, and mention one or two more in passing, because i really can't squeeze any more in. would that be ok? i mean, if i mention others, just not expand on them...?

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
i dont know how many words i write - i dont sit there and count! :p
if i know what im writing, i can write up to 7 A4 pages in 40-45 mintues. About 5 if im not so sure what im writing about.
can't remember if ive said what productions im doing and im too lazy to check, so ill put em again anyway:
brook - absurdist/nihilist
eyre - psychoanalytic/family/feminist
blessed - christian
+ a little bit of personal interpretation, discussion on limitations of readings etc during each one.

Sharky

In between x and (x+δx)
HSC
So, who else is gonna fail english? or at least, do extremely worse in it than any other subject.

Yay, let's all join MathsMan's "anti-english" club

Maths is so much better than English, just thought i'd add that

*back to studying maths*

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
get lost sharky. no matter how much i hate english, am NEVER joining a maths club. feel cold just thinking about it. agh! studying is getting to me. ive studied so mcuh ive made myself sick. literally. *sniff* how unfair is that?

Kirsti

HSC
Me Me!!! I'll fail english with you Sharky!!!!
But then.... I'll probably fail 4u too. Why did I do 4u maths?? and chem. and physics... oh, I'm just screwed.

He hehehe... I wrote 3/4 of a page for Lear in the trials. I nearly passed the section too. They must like me :) I thought it was worth about 4 max. They gave me 8 :D:D

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
obviously was a quality 3/4 page. or mr davies really likes you...*shudder* bad reni! ugh. how i hate that man.
tina: i like ur new sig dude....maybe we should all have it as mafia members...cept i think mine will look too cluttered.

D

dude431

I do both 4U maths and 2U english, and sciences.

I would have to admit, english is stupid, but then, so is maths.

They're all pointless and stupid!

But, we only have 3 or so weeks left of doing it... then NEVER AGAIN!!!! So I don't see why anyone should complain, it's all over real soon.

Living_Legend

dude431 said:
The ideas are the interpretations?

So we don't need to look at the text itself, in terms of the characters, themes, morals of the text, etc.?
One thing that came out of my trial was that its important to talk about the interpretations and the productions. HOWEVER, you must demonstrate a depth of understanding conerning the text! Dont neglect the themes, characters, etc!

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Yep. Just read over the notes i have for Lear again. I'm so screwed.

Kirsti: you wrote 3/4 pages and got 8. I wrote 3/2 and got 10. (Yep that was some nice fractions going on there) Man i suck!

Moonie: thankyou. I was sitting here on BOS listening to that song. Great inspiration for sig if i do say so myself.

Sharky: as much as i hate english AND english IS my second language, i would rather do that than 4U maths. (why doesnt the school offer anything lower than english adv?)

Dude431: dude! Totally agree with you there!

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
dude431 said:
I posted here because the Module B forum seems quiet.

One of the main criteria for King Lear:
Demonstrates sophisticated/clear understanding of the ideas expressed in the text.

What ideas should we talk about? How should we link them to interpretations/productions?
i think it just means themes of king lear and showing that you understand how your productions/critiques talk about these themes. eg power stuctures, journey to self-awareness, the conflict of order and chaos (there are so many ideas and you must remember that is what is so valuable about the text in so many contexts . it is relevant to many people in a range of ways) etc.
to satisfy this affectively you need strong textual evidence, and strong coverage of characters and techniques and how these convey the ideas/themes

what ideas do your interpretations focus on. eg? Social structure and how this can mar the lives both men and women? how king lear is an elizabethan text used a discourse for reinforcing authoritarian power structures?
many interpretations or most will focus on order v chaos and social structure but these are not themes till you have a poiunt to make about them as i have above in my examples. it is then where you need textual proof

Last edited:
D

dude431

Hmn.

I'm not going to have much success integrating all that into a 1000-word essay.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
dude431 said:
Hmn.

I'm not going to have much success integrating all that into a 1000-word essay.
sorry it is the art of being concise. do you have too much to say

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)