Know of any schools that offer the HSC over two years? (1 Viewer)

Rohanco

HSC
I heard that some schools offer the HSC over the course of two years, e.g. 3 subjects in one year and 3 in the next. Just out of curiosity does anyone know of any schools that offer this?

HSC
N/A
It doesn't work that way. It's called 'pathways', and is only granted under special circumstances. You can't just CHOOSE to spread your HSC.

Rohanco

HSC
It doesn't work that way. It's called 'pathways', and is only granted under special circumstances. You can't just CHOOSE to spread your HSC.
Yeah It actually can, it's definitely not the norm but it's possible. I'm doing the exact same thing except through TAFE. Didn't realise schools offered it as well though.

barbernator

HSC
Yeah It actually can, it's definitely not the norm but it's possible. I'm doing the exact same thing except through TAFE. Didn't realise schools offered it as well though.
well this isn't really as drastic as you or others may be thinking, but I simply went up and asked my maths co-ordinator if I could accellerate 3 units of maths and they just made arrangements and it was fine. As long as you have positive intent and get along well with your teachers I don't see why they wouldn't let you do a couple courses early if it fit in with the timetable.

HSC
Uni Grad
I know my school does pathways, but for my knowledge you have to get asked if you want to do it. I know about three people from my knowledge who did pathways at my school in the past 6 years. Would love of done it, but not with my school.

HSC
N/A
really?

We were never given that option at my school. At my school, the girls who I know who do it had to apply for it or something :/

Rohanco

HSC
I simply went up and asked my maths co-ordinator if I could accellerate 3 units of maths and they just made arrangements and it was fine. As long as you have positive intent and get along well with your teachers I don't see why they wouldn't let you do a couple courses early if it fit in with the timetable.
Yeah I knew a few who did accelerated 3u or 4u, how does it work out of curiosity? I'm guessing you sat your Math's HSC exams in yr11?

Rohanco

HSC
really?

We were never given that option at my school. At my school, the girls who I know who do it had to apply for it or something :/
Yeah, from what it seems, I think that anyone who is willing to do pathways should be allowed to, it's generally just people in special circumstances who apply. But apparently some school's offer it to all their yr11's and 12's. Technically however, if you split your subjects up, and do 3 in one year and 3 the next, you're still doing 12 units each year. Because it's a board requirement for you complete the prelim course before you can attempt the yr12 course.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
well this isn't really as drastic as you or others may be thinking, but I simply went up and asked my maths co-ordinator if I could accellerate 3 units of maths and they just made arrangements and it was fine. As long as you have positive intent and get along well with your teachers I don't see why they wouldn't let you do a couple courses early if it fit in with the timetable.
Yeah, I did exactly that at my old school and they were like - yeah, don't see why. You're sitting SC in 2 months...LOL

avro

HSC
Some girls at my school have done it before. Usually it is for special circumstances, such as mental illness or learning disability, but they still want their HSC. However, I do know of people who complete pathways in order to focus on special, elite sporting commitments. I think you can also elect to do it, but obviously you'd have to discuss this with Principal/Year Coordinator.

lm199

HSC
my school will have the year 10 cohort of 2012 begin their year 11 study next term. they will be studying 3 subjects (each year) and will sit their HSC in '13 and '14. i think its a pretty good idea but the main reason my school chose it was to stop a yr 11 and 12 school taking up to 30% of our students which has happened in past years.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I know there are a few schools in Syd that offer it because a poster (ellie95 or something like that) is doing it 3 subjects per year.

nifkeh

HSC
Strathfield south HS is apparently doing it

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Some schools allow students to accelerate. Penrith, Fort Street and some other schools do it but we only do MX1. If you transferred from another school and were accelerated in something like Physics, the school can accommodate for that too.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
I go to a sports school and we offer pathways, its mainly for sports people who are young for the year though

such_such

HSC
Yeah, I did exactly that at my old school and they were like - yeah, don't see why. You're sitting SC in 2 months...LOL
I thought I'll never have to heard those two words again. And it WAS abolished. Wasn't it?

Illest

HSC
I heard that some schools offer the HSC over the course of two years, e.g. 3 subjects in one year and 3 in the next. Just out of curiosity does anyone know of any schools that offer this?
Liverpool boys will being it next year. l00l

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
I tried it, but I ended up way out of sync with my peers, considering that I was coming and going at odd times.

TAFE is a much better way of doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)