Kubla Khan???? (1 Viewer)

Hosie

HSC
hey yall...im doing imaginative journeys and i need urgent help with understanding kubla khan (notes, outline, techniques, themes and whateva cus we didnt really focus on it strongly in class) ...cheers

fickletoe

HSC
coleridge is fun, isnt he?
now, im not sure how much help this is, or what you know, but pretty much the poem is a dream he had while high on opium.
half the reason why i find it so amusing :p
lets see... pretty much it starts off with kubla khan (actual real person, emperor descended from ghengis khan, founded mongol dynasty in china). he wants to build this 'pleasure dome' in this paradise called Xanadu.
goes on to describe the dome and its gardens... then the third stanza starts with a 'change in pace' where he describes the landscape... with supernatural imagery- 'holy and enchanted'. this 'chasm' he is describing is like a interruption in the river. pretty much water bursting into the air, and the 6th line down starts building tension and power, supposedly adding to the energy of this chasm, but also with sexual connotations (the line with the fast thick pants breathing always makes me laugh :D )
then river seems to keep moving, and uses alliteration, like 'mazy motion' to slow pace, and it continues down into the sea...
and this bit about 'prophesysing war', doesnt really connect to anything. i asked about it, but my teacher made no sense. sigh.
the little stanza is just him describing the shadow of the dome on ths sunless sea. uses paradox, with sunny pleasure dome with caves of ice (sun vs. ice)
the next bit is where hes saying about the 'damsel with a dulcimer' inspires him, like the pleasure dome, to create something as 'wonderful' as the dome, but in words, like 'build' the sunny pleasure dome.
the last bit is just a warning for everyone to fear his glorified brilliance, using supernatural imagery to make himself appear out-worldly and superior because of his creative genius, and it effect on people.
well, thats what i got told anyway. i think he sounds full of it at the end :p
oh, first and last stanzas use alliteration at the end of each sentence to create a incantation-like tone... suppose so it appears even more far-fetched and 'beyond our normal being'
as for tying in with imaginative journeys, i still suck at that, i pretty much just think he wants to take everyone on an acid trip, but ok :)
hope that helped! i didnt put all the detail in...

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
don't do it if you find it hard. Its easier to do "lime tree bower my prison" and "The Rime of the ancient mariner" as you could relate them to how they get a positive ending.

I'm doing it though :p
Kubla Khan is about a pleasure dome being destroyed, by a "fountain". It also creates a lot of emotion, as Coleridge wants his audience to experience emotion throughout the dream. An important technique is the contrasting images as well as the contrasting themes: Human creation and nature.

Good luck, with whatever.

benita

HSC
yep im planning on doing lime tree and frost but im worried if theyll specifically will ask rime and kubla and so i need notes on them. So any help will be appreciated thank you!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)