label snubbing (1 Viewer)

ohh la la

HSC
is it just me or is there the slightest bit of 'label snubbing' happening on these threads? people seem to be cracking the shits at people for the brand of clothing they wear...but is it really neccesary?
personally...i wear more high end fashions than chain-store designs but thats just me and how i have been raised. it isnt what makes me as a person. sure, i bet it contributes to my outer image but i seriously doubt my soul has the tsubi windows burnt onto it just cause i wear the jeans.

but anyway...whats with the label snubbing? i'm sure there are good reasons that you'd want to share.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
you could never call my tastes expensive, being an op-shop gal from way back, but i think that there are many brands that are much more tasteful and classy than others. the same way that i look at 12 year olds at the train station and cringe, i am a so-called "label snubber" too on a different level...

...and dont even pretend that you dont judge people on how they present themselves, because we all do.

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
i personally don’t mind forking out abit for concrete/ wardrobe essential such as boots, cardigan, winter jumper, pants or dress IF the quality & style/design are up to my standard.

however, i refuse to pay $50 for a basic tee from general pants, a cotton dress from supre, a cheap & over priced necklace from diva, or disposable fashion items.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Why would anyone be cut over label snubbing? really. The only people who would be upset over such a thing, are the same people that would snub others were the situation reversed.

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You know what, my number one pet peeve is people who don't dress to their body shape.

I try on clothes from lots of different and varied places, and buy what I think suits me. I don't disregard target, and I don't disregard Gucci. I look for what fits well, and complements my features and personality.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
I personally refuse to pay too much for something that has a limited wardrobe life (technical term) but I do spend a relatively large amount on somethings that I will keep for ages, eg. lether jack bought 2 years ago compared to buying 3 different cheaper jackets. But I don't just go shopping for a label, well only when it comes to diesel for watches...

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I'll only 'label snub' if someone is being a pretentious arse about it. I know people who will brag about buying certain clothing. "Oh my dress is from morrisey" "I just bought $400 pants". I just think, "get the fuck over yourself".

I don't dress in label clothes, because, like natstar, I don't have that sort of money. I can't justify spending x amount of money when I can spend y amount of money on something that looks just as nice.

Maybe if i had the money, I might buy designer clothes. I don't know what I'd do.
Sometimes I see beautiful designer clothing and think, "oh i wish i could buy it". but then i get over it

fionah

HSC
I'm not a big label person myself, I only find labels worthwhile if they're unique and completely different or of high quality. Besides, fashion these days is something of a process of copying what everyone else is doing and you can usually find a cheap make after a while. Look at the skinny black jean craze for example. It's like I always say, a lot of them are made in the same asian sweatshops anyway, all you're paying for is the mark up.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
If there is something that I really like from a more expensive store, I will save up and buy it. I get a buzz that "omg I just bought this blah blah for $150" but I feel its more so that Im delighted I saved money for something for myself.

I generally don't have a lot of money to buy designer labels or other big names. I'll buy a top from Supre, a skirt from sportsgirl, jeans from kmart ( they got great new jeans by the way and im saving up $40 to buy em LOL ! thats gonna make me happy ) and I get a lot of things from the miss shop brand, which are usually rip offs of more expensive brands in the miss shop.

I really couldn't give a shit about what other people where. If they like it and it makes them happy, then fine that's cool. But people who rave on and on about all their latest high priced clothes because they think it gives them an uber chic image, just shits me to fucking tears, so much. Same deal with people who rant about their music choices cos it somehow makes them cool, but that's a story for another time. Anything like that means that they are some1 who is insecure and need material etc things around them to support their weak self image. And insecure people are fucking annoying and emotionally draining to be aroud!!!!

Last edited:

Always

HSC
I'd like to think that at this age and day girls are able to dress themselves tastefully and appropriately, no matter whether their clothes come from Gucci or a chain-store. I rather admire the girls that are able to put together stunning outfits from odd, inexpensive pieces found at the markets, op shops or chain stores. That, to me, shows real style and taste.

But I wouldn't look down on the girls that are able to afford high-end fashion either. Admittedly I'm one of these girls, haha. I think it's just much easier for us. Most designer items are easily attainable and cut so well that it'd look good on anyone.

However, if I see another skanky tween carrying a Louis Vuitton handbag, I will stomp on their wedges clad feet with my 4 inch stilletos and make sure they will never be able to wear a pair of Manolos as long as they live.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
Always said:
Most designer items are easily attainable and cut so well that it'd look good on anyone
Yep. Right. Maybe for people who can juggle study + work or have parents who earn pretty good money, K im just stirring.

Haha I would stamp on her feet too! :p Hehe

arrested development
HSC
I don't care if people wear labels or not. It's their money blah blah blah.
However, the two things I loathe with such intensity are:

1. People who buy something that either doesn't suit them or is just plain ugly, simply because it's the current "it" dress/bag/whatever. That hideous Alice McCall "Dimple" dress comes to mind. Fuckkkkkkkk that is one truly horrendous dress, but everyone wants it just because it's Alice McCall and it's the "much-coveted item of the season".

2. People who plaster themselves in labels simply for the sake of parading around the fact that they are wearing LV or Chanel or Dior or whatever. Like disgusting monogrammed bags. Oh man, so many people carry around the ugliest shit just because it has been been spewed on by the stupid LV/Chanel/Dior logo. Or really woefully tacky tops that people will wear simply because it has some "classy" brand's name and logo emblazoned across their chest area.

Rahhhh some people need to die. Like, now.

Always

HSC
^^^ Bad choice of word. I meant 'attainable' as in easy to find. ;)

bustinjustin

HSC
Better to save they money you'd spend on 'labels' in this country, let it all accumulate until you have enough for a holiday to our Asian neighbours and do your shopping there. Going by the exchange rates at the time (February, the Aussie Dollar has gone down slightly since), for instance I got my Converse Chucks for $15 (bought it in a tax-free zone in the Philippines) a Mossimo Jacket for half price at $30 in Manila, Levis for $30 and Jag tops for $10 - 20 and lots of shirts for $5 - 10 each, all the latest and original too. They usually have sales around February/March (in Singapore and Manila anyway), though I'm pretty sure sales are more frequent across Asia.

In terms of labels, I did see Marcs in Singapore, but there are heaps of local labels which are even cheaper (heaps in Thailand, Singapore, the Philippines, Hong Kong and presumably Malaysia too), as well as other international labels from the US and Europe that we don't have here, which make you appear more unique and original when you get here anyway (funnily enough, they have an upmarket label in Asia called 'Mango', whose namesake in Australia is a Best & Less brand - but they're completely different brands with different products).

Sure, the airfares (and food and accom.) will set you back about a $1500, give or take a few hundred depending on when you go, where you go and who you know in the region, but if people are buying a few pairs of shirts and jeans for a few hundred bucks each, you might as well make the trek and indulge in the added bonuses of sensual delights and cultural enlightenment the region has to offer.

Just make sure you don't exceed your baggage allowance like I did... by a lot...

Otherwise it's Jay Jays, Giordano, outlet stores and the sales for me, but I've done enough shopping for now methinks.

santaslayer

HSC
bustinjustin said:
Better to save they money you'd spend on 'labels' in this country, let it all accumulate until you have enough for a holiday to our Asian neighbours and do your shopping there. Going by the exchange rates at the time (February, the Aussie Dollar has gone down slightly since), for instance I got my Converse Chucks for $15 (bought it in a tax-free zone in the Philippines) a Mossimo Jacket for half price at $30 in Manila, Levis for $30 and Jag tops for $10 - 20 and lots of shirts for $5 - 10 each, all the latest and original too. They usually have sales around February/March (in Singapore and Manila anyway), though I'm pretty sure sales are more frequent across Asia.

In terms of labels, I did see Marcs in Singapore, but there are heaps of local labels which are even cheaper (heaps in Thailand, Singapore, the Philippines, Hong Kong and presumably Malaysia too), as well as other international labels from the US and Europe that we don't have here, which make you appear more unique and original when you get here anyway (funnily enough, they have an upmarket label in Asia called 'Mango', whose namesake in Australia is a Best & Less brand - but they're completely different brands with different products).

Sure, the airfares (and food and accom.) will set you back about a $1500, give or take a few hundred depending on when you go, where you go and who you know in the region, but if people are buying a few pairs of shirts and jeans for a few hundred bucks each, you might as well make the trek and indulge in the added bonuses of sensual delights and cultural enlightenment the region has to offer.

Just make sure you don't exceed your baggage allowance like I did... by a lot...

Otherwise it's Jay Jays, Giordano, outlet stores and the sales for me, but I've done enough shopping for now methinks.
That is so true. :)
Although I have to question whether the items you got were genuine or not. :p

Even same fashion labels distribute different types of styles in different countries. By the time Australia gets something 'new', it's been circulated trhough Japan, HK, Singapore, Malaysia and even China. Save up some money and go crazy overseas with all your shopping.

Until Australia can keep up with the fashion industry's pace, whatever you get is "out".

Always

HSC
I've noticed an increasing number of fake Paddingtons floating around as well. It makes me an angry little girl when I see someone tainting the image of one of my favourite bags.

Fakes are not cool.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
There was a girl at my skool who brought her fake LV ( dark brown ones ) to skool cos she was paranoid it ( her real one )would get stolen. she got a fake one just for skool. she was a big label person. had a new phone every 3 weeks.

Always

HSC
What a loser.

No one should ever buy anything they can't afford to wear. That just spells Tryhard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)