Language techniques and how they shape meaning (1 Viewer)

booties4

HSC
I got an english essay back today, i recieved 17.5 out of 20. The only thing that let me down was explaining the meaning behind the use of a certain language technique e.g. Metaphor.

Is there any info out there which explains the language technique and how it helps shape meaning? And yes i have looked in the resources section.
Any Help would be appreciated:)

booties4

HSC
Thanks for the feedback. That thread is good but it still doesnt answer my question. Why would a poet use a metaphor, juxtaposition, conceit etc? whats the effect?

ccc123

HSC
Yeah, what cdiz said. The general structure you should be following is the ITE structure.

I. Idea. State the idea/theme.
T. Technique.State the technique the composer uses to convey that idea.
E. Effect. State the effect of that technique.

You don't necessarily have to do it in that order, but as a general rule you should be doing those 3 things.

E.g. Miller juxtaposes the theocracy with the inhumane executions of the suspected witches for ironic effect. This serves to unveil the hypocracy and "pretence" of Salem, as while they profess to be rightous, their actions contradict their alleged principles.

Idea: The hypocratic nature of the theocracy
Technique: Juxtaposition
Effect: Generates Irony and highlights the idea.

Also, generally a composer will employ a technique in order to highlight a point, or to create intimacy between the composer and respondant.

Hope that sort of helps.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)