is a roflcopter
HSC
in the market for a laptop
any recommendations?
keep in mind im a poor dude

superbird

HSC
ebay is good. just dont get scammed $2000 like wat happened to my friend :/
if i were u i would go for a centrino for extra battery life, lighter in terms of weight and intergrated wireless

neuro_logik

HSC
As I say in every laptop thread: Apple iBook.... or something from Big Blue (IBM).

The new iBook can't be beat for price and performance. With a student discount I think they are around $1500ish that is pretty good value for a brand new laptop which has a good processor (PowerPC G4 goodness) a good graphics processor (ATI 9200 32MB), 802.11b/g wireless and is a good size (12" is good if you are going to lug it around everywhere). If you want extra stuff like another 256MB of RAM (Total 512) and a 60gig hard disk, you are hitting around the $1700 - $1800 area.

If you compare the iBook to the IBM X series Thinkpad (12" in size with a centrino) you are gonna be looking at around $2500+ and comes with a 40gig hard disk but no optical drive. But then again Thinkpads are made to take a lot of shit (shit being daily ware, usage, stress, pressure), but then again so are iBooks.

If I had the money (and had job :p ) I'd get an iBook due to the fact you have a nice small portable laptop with good features that can handle a lot of stress and at a reasonable price.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
my $0.02: some of my uni friends have 12" iBooks which i was playing with during group assignments and the MINI-SIZE KEYBOARD IS SO HARD TO TYPE WITH. i could barely type at 10wpm... :(

so try opening up MS Word on a demo laptop and try typing out something. personally i can't get my wrist to avoid the touchpad. :(

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Frigid said:
my $0.02: some of my uni friends have 12" iBooks which i was playing with during group assignments and the MINI-SIZE KEYBOARD IS SO HARD TO TYPE WITH. i could barely type at 10wpm... :(

so try opening up MS Word on a demo laptop and try typing out something. personally i can't get my wrist to avoid the touchpad. :(
you would get used to it eventually, the keys aren't acctually smaller, just crammed up a little bit more.

If your on a budget go to computer fair and pick up a no-brand one... good enough for uni. I guess it depends on what budget.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Apple Ibook = Win .. unfortunately the one I want is too expensive heh. The 17-inch PowerBook G4 is a little over my price budget, but looks great. I wonder what the battery life on that would be.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I'd suggest a relatively cheap Dell. They have an excellent warranty option, where if your laptop gets accidentally damaged, or stolen, or lost in fire or whatever, they'll repair/replace up to three years (but for three years is a very expensive warranty option)

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
I was looking at one too, because I was looking at portable DVD players and then I thought I might as well double my budget (to $1500 or so) and get a bigger screen and something that can actually do more than just play DVDs!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)