• I hardly ever use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • I don’t use a laptop at Uni

Votes: 18 23.1%

• Total voters

santaslayer

HSC
Really depends what course ur doing

if its pure maths...with graphs and stuff..then no need..

a_person86

HSC
For the subjects that involve alot of graphs, would u be able to use a digital camera to take a snapshot of the diagram as oppose to drawing it? That way the laptop would be much more efficient.

I havent decided whether to buy a laptop...

Would it be useful if i am undertaking a business degree. Im majoring in accounting, i also work at an accounting firm, would it come in handy?

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
although laptops can get annoying when you're typing during a lecture....that happened to me...I was trying to listen to a mini lecture and the guy next to me kept typing on the laptop...the clicking of the keyboard gets really annoying....i swear the lecturer was gonna slap that guy because he say right near the front and was typing really loudly...hehehe

smallcattle

HSC
a_person86 said:
For the subjects that involve alot of graphs, would u be able to use a digital camera to take a snapshot of the diagram as oppose to drawing it? That way the laptop would be much more efficient.

I havent decided whether to buy a laptop...

Would it be useful if i am undertaking a business degree. Im majoring in accounting, i also work at an accounting firm, would it come in handy?
lol... just remember 2 turn off your flash when taking pictures

somecooldude

HSC
notebook pc's/laptops at uni?

do people use these at uni? would it make it more easier and convenient or are they unecessary?

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
I dont find laptops that useful at uni...with all the trouble of carrying them and making sure you don't forget them...

but then again, it depends if you do comp scie, u may find them more necessary. As a forgetful commerce student, with a chunky 1+ yr old dell, i'd say: it's not worth it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Yes! very useful. I type fast so i type up a lot - what's being said + the lecture notes (rather than just printing the lecture ntoes and making notes on those). helps remember the stuff

somecooldude

HSC
how many ppl use them as opposed to not use them? i dont wanna be stared at.. lol

stazi

Nightman
HSC
maybe 3/4 in a lecture.
and ull get stared at anyway. cos ure shit.

HSC
somecooldude said:
how many ppl use them as opposed to not use them? i dont wanna be stared at.. lol
In lectures I've only ever seen one person who used it effectively. Outside of them I'd say about 1/3 to 1/2 of people have them.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Capitalist Pig said:
In lectures I've only ever seen one person who used it effectively. Outside of them I'd say about 1/3 to 1/2 of people have them.
you do maths and engineering stuff :p of course u dont need a laptop for that

klh

HSC
it snot necessary, but its great when presenting in powerpoint and doing assignments [group/individual] when in peak time at uni. ive only just got a lappy myself so havent a chance to use it at uni but ive rarely seen peopel in lectures use it except the comp labs or library. and it will depend on how fast you can type and of course you will get stares in lectures coz typing makes clicky sounds wehich do annoy some.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Theres the "omg, what a tryhard" vibe going on if you use them in lectures...in 2 years, I've only ever seen one person do it.
Outside, in one of our computer labs theres ~100 desktops which are always being used and maybe another ~30 people on laptops.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
My law seminar was called 'the typing pool' because everyone except me and a friend of mine used laptops. I just jot down a few or so points on a bit of paper and make notes at home at the end of every couple of weeks.

Personally, I think laptops look a little wanky ... but horses for courses I guess :)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Do you guys not have computers in the lecture theatres? Just make a .ppt at home and save it to disc.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ebonylea said:
Oh please i HATE PowerPoint presentations and i do believe that they no longer look professional but amatureish. There have been so many advances in technology over the years that people been able to upgrade to, however why are there so many people still using this ancient program! Move up in the world people! Call your presentations "multimedia presentations", use programs such as Macromedia!!!! it isn't much harder and they look so much better.

I may seem like i am taking this small issue a little too seriously however after sitting through way too many poorly constructed "PowerPoints" i have taken it upon myself to eliminate PowerPoint presentations from the world.
yes, learning how to program in flash is much easier than powerpoint.

my tutors so far have actually been against powerpoint, asking for overheads in stead

klh

HSC
but when the main point is to educate your audeince about theories, answer questions, apply knowledge, why should we waste too much time on graphics etc. but rather focus more energy on the assessment itself. its good if you can do it but with the constraints some groups have, powerpoint is satisfactory in that respect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)