laptops? (1 Viewer)

Xytech

HSC
N/A
Hi all,
Just wondering on uni's policy on laptop use - specifically monash - can i bring it into lectures/tuts etc?

Thanks

EDIT:
SOrry, just saw the faq >< still interested on monash specifically though

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
well for all unis, i dont think theres a rule which specifies that you cant bring a laptop into lectures/tuts, just at least you dont disturb anybody else around you

HSC
Is it practical though? I've got one but was probably only going to use it for study notes etc. Does anyone find it easier to use in lectures?

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
Yea, umm... my friend wants to knoe if you are required to bring a laptop to uni and/or is it beneficial to have a laptop at uni? Any comments will b appreciated :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
i got my notebook in december last year, so i wouldnt know whether it would be beneficial for me yet, but i would definitely use it for study notes
i know typing>writing

Xytech

HSC
N/A
yeah
another two questions
1. is there much writing that needs to be done - as in any? or is it enough to sit there and listen and get online notes
2. are there power points in lecture/tutorial places

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
1) im not sure about your uni, but for unsw, my lecturers usually put up notes on webct, so i use those ntoes to summarise, but for those that dont put up notes, you have to turn up to lectures, an by the end of the semester, youll have a whole stack of notes to summarise, so this is where the notebook comes in
much more efficient and wastes less time than writing

2) in classrooms there are, but for lecture theatres usually not
they only last 1-2 hrs so just charge it at the library or something afterwards

Last edited:

LynH1326

HSC
I know at University of Canberra that laptops may be used in lectures etc, but there are only specific spots in the campus that you can access the WIFI network.
I think that there is just "common courtesy" guidlines: that you get to lectures and set up before it starts, you're not listening to music, you have your speakers off, and that you are actually paying attention.
Aust Catholic Uni (Signadou, Canberra) has a similar policy, but they also have the facility to hand in assignments online.

egarrz

HSC
What are people's opinions or preferences in regards to laptops vs PDAs?

matt88m

HSC
N/A
how are you going to type notes into a pda?
Well I guess you can...not very easy tho?

egarrz

HSC
Using the stylus you can either just write as normal and it recognises it, or you select the letters displayed on the screen. It would be a little slower than typing but it also seems a lot more convenient in regards to size.

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
matt88m said:
how are you going to type notes into a pda?
Well I guess you can...not very easy tho?
you can get one of those little fold up keyboard extensions for your pda. they are about the size of two playing card stacks when folded.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
so id suggest that if youre surfing the web externally, by that i mean sites not linked to unsw, to use the library comps instead

HSC
Oh, right! So are the UNSW compts' internet fees expensive? Less than .10cents a mb?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
actually, there are 'internet cafes' at the roundhouse which lets you practically look at any website you want
i think thats for free

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)