Last Minuet Questions!!!helllpppp!! (1 Viewer)

gen4

Ok 2 days to go and i just got my music books out a little worried... our teacher really didnt' outline everything needed.. I need to know a couple things.. (i know prob somewhere on website but i dont' ahve time to go through every thread...)

1) Baroque,classical , medieval etc what we were suppose to have done in prelim.... are we suppose to know any of that????

2)how many works do we need to know??

3) addititonal topic... WHAT THE??? i onyl had an additional topic chosen for performance (1900-45) are we suppose to know any detail btou this era coz i havn't even touched on it.... but i just realised lookg at it beign called additional topic wemay need to knwo somethign does anyone knwo how much we need to know!!!?????

4) just any tips in general would be incredible and ultimatly appreciated!!!

ThankYou SOOOO MUCH I hope i can get a reply!!!

gen4

I've been looking around in the syllabus does anyone know anything abotu these signs.. i don't want to waste your time but good revision...
thanku :eek:

gen4

one other thing..

range..registar??? what's the difference....

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
ok i'll help best i can, although really, you should have started studying sooner.

1) you don't need to know any of the baroque/medieval etc. unless that was what you did for your additional topic in the HSC course (this answers 3 too). Yes, if your additional topic is 1900-1945 then you really should have a selected work to talk about too.

2) I would recommend you know 4/5 works. This doesn't mean you will use all of them. I reckon you should know about 3 from the mandatory topic and 2 from your additional.

4) practice general aural. revise the concepts of music. do some melody dictation if possible. Revise harmonic analysis, cos thats a good place to pick up marks. And you should have analysed all your selected works under the concept headings.

good luck.

oh and range is the lowest and highest note that can be played/sung. for example, a flut can play from middle C to 3 C's above that. Oboe can play from bottom B flat to high E flat. B flat Trumpet has an accepted range from the F sharp below middle C to 2 C's above a middle C, but usually can play much much higher than that.

Register refers to the low or high. For example for Oboe, anything after the E in the last space of the treble stave would be considered the "upper register" or so it is referred to.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
ok with the signs its funny cos i had a book that told me what they all meant, and i gave it back yesterday. moving down the first left hand column

RHYTHM
the first on is that they are getting quicker as you play them

then its play these in any direction

i THINK the next one is give these any value you wish (but i wouldn't be very very sure)

play these notes in a random fashion

the ones on the right, in all honesty, i don't have a clue about

PITCH
that is a pictographic notation form so thats up to you how you interpret it

the others are pretty self explanatory or i don't know them so i won't talk about them

the one that has slurs between the notes could be just that

the one with a line to a lower note is obviously a fall

the one below that is another pictographic one, but unlike the first one, this is a sudden change in notes. IE. with the other one you would play the notes in between going up or down, with this one, you would just change to the next note in the approximate location given.

the one that looks like a bad ink spot would possibly be getting louder and denser ie. add more instruments

the one below that in the box: play any notes in the approximate location.

that would be my interpretation of those signs. hope that helps.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i've only just realised how ironic your thread title is -- last MINUET questions....

i personally like the Minuet by Bach, the really famous, pooncy one cos that was the first one i played on the piano.... :)

olay

HSC
just as a bit of a filler up on ujuphleg's definitions for the graphic notation [i'm just going to copy and paste what my teacher emailed me.]

Olllllllllllllllllllliiii
i hate all this graphic stuff! These look like they are from the syllabus document. However i dont think many composers use this junk anymore because they prefer more control over their music and this has passed it's use by date. Its all so very 1960s avant garde!
Composers will give a key to what it all means because it can mean anything.
the first 2 are tempo and volume changes - begin repeating notes soft and get louder and faster - the 2nd one you return to how you began like a mirror image. any note pitches in a box are the notes you use to do what you want - repeat them, play them backwards however many times you want and at any tempo (rhythm) notes with a time limit like 10" mean you muck around with this in any way you like for the time period of 10 seconds. The dots are indications of pitch centres in relation to each other and some crude indication of how to group them in a rhythm . It is non specific and can be played anywhere within an instrument's range.

Again the pitch graphs would be accompanied by a composer's explanations because they could mean anything apart from the obvious coffee stain which could indicate chord clusters. The one obvious one is the glissando indication from G to D. The square line shapes could belong to electronic music and could indicate the shape of square waves from an oscillator and how to shape them. Who knows or even cares!

all the best for your exams guys. :) [holy moley....it's tmro!!! :)]

EDIT: :( i just realised he didn't talk about the rhythmic symbols on the right!!! :S i'm sorry guys that wasn't very helpful.

Last edited:

gen4

Thanks guys big help. Was syllabus stuff but reassuring to know more 60's so not liekly to come up and if ahve a key nooo prob (y) :). Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)