Latham's Book (1 Viewer)

Sarah

HSC
N/A
From what is known about the book so far, it's not going to do anything beneficial for the Labor party.

It seems rather confusing that a person who believes/ed in Labor would publish something that would do more harm than good. It seems it will only contribute to the weak image that the public has of the labour party (relative to the coalition)

heybraham

HSC
because the road labor is taking is to electoral disgrace. i clearly do not see any real leadership in the party atm, it seems there isn't any real alternative to the shitty liberal government.

this is coming from a labour supporter, however, i sincerely think Latham is doing a good deed, he's really giving labor a wake-up call. if anything, the autobiography is the most enduring deed he's done for labor so far.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
heybraham said:
exactly! Latham, in comparison to Australia's newfound conservative political environment, could even be considered as revolutionary.

Recalling the proposed policies for the 2004 campaign, who recalls his $8 billion hospital plan for elderly people (forgot what it was called, something involving a senior gold pass), i mean cmon, that was a potential policy of pure genius?
I think it was Medicare Gold

heybraham said:
the liberal party have just been sucking up to everyone for the last decade they've been in office; the elderly, the taxpayers, the taxpayers who pay top marginal rate (so they can work harder but in reality it's just so the party can recieve more donations to the party), home owners (blatant interest rate promises), even Mr. George Walker Bush
That comment goes two ways. Yes the Liberal party can be seen as "sucking up to everyone for the last decade", however, public have been suckers (for lack of a better word). The public are more attune to their own needs instead of the needs for the future (long term). It falls on both sides, liberals offering their policies and the public believing in them.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
heybraham said:
because the road labor is taking is to electoral disgrace. i clearly do not see any real leadership in the party atm, it seems there isn't any real alternative to the shitty liberal government.

this is coming from a labour supporter, however, i sincerely think Latham is doing a good deed, he's really giving labor a wake-up call. if anything, the autobiography is the most enduring deed he's done for labor so far.
I haven't read the book but i think it's coming out tomorrow.

From what i've heard so far, most of the comments about the book relate to Latham critising the Labour party as e.g "being a spent force", problems with leadership.

It would just seem better to be constructive in his criticism. Offer up suggestions as to how Labor can rebuild it's image, how the party can be considered an alternative to the coalition etc.

Like i said, i haven't read the book so perhaps he does offer up suggestions to overcome what he sees as problems in the party

Sarah

HSC
N/A
spin spin sugar said:
but why? he no longer represents them, does he? i dont think it's his responsibility to do that anymore
Well that's a matter of personality differences. A bit of criticism is good but I just don't see the point of constant criticism over an isssue/topic if there aren't any suggestions offered.

As to the fact that he no longer represents them, well there's a reason why he formerly aligned himself with labour in the first place. His values/beliefs corresponded to what they represented. For the greater good of the party, the book does nothing for their image, it only serves to bring the party down to an all time new low

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Latham is as much Labor as I am. He has damned good ideas which the Australian people would do well to listen to. His only problem was that he pandered to the Feminist movement too much. I'd like to think though that the only reason he supported them was because if he hadn't he'd probably never had gotten the ALP leadership in the first place. I'd like to think that my own political style is in the mold of Latham - but unlike Latham, I won't join the ALP and have my views crushed by the cunts in caucus.

Australia needs a good leader. One who is quintessentially Australian, is willing to speak his mind on issues and is a pragmatist, yet has good intentions and has the best interests of ALL Australians (not just the Ol' Kings Boys) at heart. That most definitely isn't Beazley or Howard.

Latham is the leader Australia should have. Howard is the leader Australia deserves.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Unfortunately for beazley, i feel he will suffer the same fate as his two immediate predeccesors. If the party dont destroy him prior to the election then he will be forced to resign post election. Lets face it, the liberals are in a virtually unbeatable lead with a huge majority that require a massive swing against the government for them to loose power. Unless the govreally stuffs up this term (unlikely but admittedly possible) then labor is condemed to another term in opposition.

With 2 election losses already under his belt, this is beazley's last shot.

Latham it seems is been a poor looser here, and that reflects poorly on his character. Although i must admitt i agree with most of what he says.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Latham was at least different but I doubt his book will do much except cover ground that has already been better analysed by various other text books. It should become prescribed reading for every Labor minister though. :uhhuh:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
ALthough 'different' isnt always the best path in a political context. As witnessed by the failure of the latham experiment.

Although i like something different, Australian society is basically a conservative one.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i like latham as leader

but now he just seems bitter, and this book seems 2 show him for his true colours, mean and arrogant....he's bashing the party that made him a sucess of sorts. he has nobody to blame but himself for labor's failings at the election

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, the 7.30 report raised the issue of the amount of advise he headed from his advisors. He basically took no advice from anyone. He did things on his own accord, which would ultimately be his undoing. As the title of the book confirms, he was a loner.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
I liked latham at first (anything is better than that prick of a prime minister we have now) but not any more. Apart from the language he uses in this book which is unbecomming of a politician/public figure he seems bitter and twisted about his own failings and feels the need to blame others.

Besides... he will always be remembered as the thug that slugged a taxi driver

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I find I can identify with Latham more and more. If I ever become Prime Minister, I will appoint him Governor-General.

jennylim

HSC
Deus said:
You cant argue with latham there.
maybe not about the carr bit, but even i (as a moderate right and perhaps with a more liberal lean than anything else) think that beattie is a great guy. if qld would ever let him go he would be a great labor PM. he's honest, down to earth and intelligent.

latham just irritates me for several reasons, but meh. probably all that blame shifting and his thug persona. oh well. he's out now.

ohne

HSC
Mark Latham was one of the worst things that ever happened to the Federal parliamentary Labor party in its history. The only reason he won the leadership was because there were a significant number of people who disliked Beazley rather than supported him. After he left the party in such a mess they really had no choice but to go back to Beazley. Ironically, the ALP would have done much better in the last election if they'd stuck with Crean all along, at least he was electable. How on earth can an opposition perform so badly that it hands control of the senate to an 8 year old government?

I don't think it was ever in Latham's nature to go quietly so we'll probably continue to see dummy spits over the next few years, probably even into the next election campaign. Beazley still hasn't cleaned up the mess he left properly though, look at the ALP front bench. It amazes me that there are people both in and outside the ALP who still support him. Perhaps people like Alan Ramsey just dislike Beazley so much that they'd rather have Latham. Not exactly a vote of confidence.

It now looks likely that Beazley will face a leadership challenge some time this term, due to Latham destabilising among other things. Reminds me of the Liberal Party in the 1980s with Peacock/Howard. Although for the ALP it is more a case of Beazley/anti-Beazley. Perhaps they'll go to someone like Latham again and it will be a repeat of 2004.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)