LAW advice, prequisites, ATAR requirements ect. (1 Viewer)

jamima1986

HSC
Like someone else said, also consider Newcastle. Although it's not as good as usyd, unsw etc, it does have a legal program where the college of law is taught concurrently with the law degree, which is looked upon quite favourably by some employers. The cut off there is around 93. If you really want to do law, you may as well have your bases covered.

Existential

HSC
N/A
Like someone else said, also consider Newcastle. Although it's not as good as usyd, unsw etc, it does have a legal program where the college of law is taught concurrently with the law degree, which is looked upon quite favourably by some employers. The cut off there is around 93. If you really want to do law, you may as well have your bases covered.
could you expand on this newcastle uni program please.

and i know this may sound silly, but could you explain the difference between newcastle uni campared to usyd, unsw, ect.

and what campuses at newcastle uni is this program available at?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
could you expand on this newcastle uni program please.

and i know this may sound silly, but could you explain the difference between newcastle uni campared to usyd, unsw, ect.

and what campuses at newcastle uni is this program available at?
Callahan only I think.

The law degree is not good though if you want to work in a 'prestigious' (for which read 'highly paid') job fresh out of university. You would need to be a seriously exceptional student to get a gig with a top tier law firm and you could almost forget about ibanking/management consulting.

jamima1986

HSC
Basically at Newcastle you can do College of Law whilst completing your law subjects (unlike other unis where you need to do it AFTER you finish your law degree) so you're a step ahead of the other unis. Apparently the program is quite good in that you get a lot of legal experience at their teaching centre (if you check out the 2010 ALB Awards, the teaching centre was nominated for an award beside G&T and Blake Dawson so it must be ok!) which is a huge advantage when you start practising. My brother goes to Newcastle and he said the campus is at Callaghan (the one near the city).

jamima1986

HSC
Also in response to the difference between the unis, it is essentially what flamearrows said. Although Newcastle has a good program, it can never compete against the prestige of UNSW or USYD. Maybe it's because the entry marks are higher for the Sydney schools or it's a tradition thing...who knows! Regardless of why, to be considered against a Syd student for the top jobs, you would need to excel in Newcastle. Sucks if you're from there I suppose, but that's just the way it is!

Existential

HSC
N/A
Callahan only I think.

The law degree is not good though if you want to work in a 'prestigious' (for which read 'highly paid') job fresh out of university. You would need to be a seriously exceptional student to get a gig with a top tier law firm and you could almost forget about ibanking/management consulting.
if callaghan's the only one then screw that... lol

but still... what do you mean by "The law degree is not good though"? are you referring the the bachelor of laws in general or just that newcastle thing?

Existential

HSC
N/A
Basically at Newcastle you can do College of Law whilst completing your law subjects (unlike other unis where you need to do it AFTER you finish your law degree) so you're a step ahead of the other unis. Apparently the program is quite good in that you get a lot of legal experience at their teaching centre (if you check out the 2010 ALB Awards, the teaching centre was nominated for an award beside G&T and Blake Dawson so it must be ok!) which is a huge advantage when you start practising. My brother goes to Newcastle and he said the campus is at Callaghan (the one near the city).
well it seems that i might as well go to sydney since their both equal distance from me ie. callaghan is not my preference atm.

Also in response to the difference between the unis, it is essentially what flamearrows said. Although Newcastle has a good program, it can never compete against the prestige of UNSW or USYD. Maybe it's because the entry marks are higher for the Sydney schools or it's a tradition thing...who knows! Regardless of why, to be considered against a Syd student for the top jobs, you would need to excel in Newcastle. Sucks if you're from there I suppose, but that's just the way it is!
yeah that is why i say the above statement.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
if callaghan's the only one then screw that... lol

but still... what do you mean by "The law degree is not good though"? are you referring the the bachelor of laws in general or just that newcastle thing?
He's referring to law degrees from less prestigious universities. Most top-tier firms don't regard law degrees from places such as Macquarie, UWS or even UTS as very high and most recruits are from USYD/UNSW (I'm not saying that they're bad or anything, that's just how these firms work).

Existential

HSC
N/A
He's referring to law degrees from less prestigious universities. Most top-tier firms don't regard law degrees from places such as Macquarie, UWS or even UTS as very high and most recruits are from USYD/UNSW (I'm not saying that they're bad or anything, that's just how these firms work).
thankyou for your comment. this opened my eyes a bit.

Existential

HSC
N/A
here's a random question: what's life like at a law firm for graduate law students?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
here's a random question: what's life like at a law firm for graduate law students?
I hope you like grunt work, basically.

True at any of the trio (MC/IB/Law), but unfortunately top-tier law doesn't even pay that well in comparison to the hours worked/requirements of getting in the door.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)