Law at Monash- (1 Viewer)

kurtb22

HSC
Hey, a year and a half ago I was studying Commerce at Monash, however because of personal reasons-drug/family related, I ended up failing everything at Monash during that time frame. I am now studying Finance/Law at Latrobe and have averaged a 80+ grade for all subjects for a year.

However, I want to transfer back to Latrobe, because there a too many idiots at Latrobe that make classes so slow acting like year 9's, especially on the business side of it. I'm yet to have A SINGLE tute teacher that can either properly understand English or gives two shits about what he is actually teaching. There is also no UNI games basketball team, for last two years, which is an absolute joke considering I was pushing pretty hard for a team last year, and the "president" promised we would have one this coming year. Complete laziness on his behalf, but that is what I have come to expect from Latrobe Uni.

As you can see I really want to get out of this University asap. I now want to transfer back to Monash, but am worried will my year of failing all those subjects appear on my new academic transcript. Or is there a way to start fresh if I were to be accepted back? And what do you think my chances are of being accepted back are?

Thanks any help is much appreciated.

HSC
You're confusing me...U stated that a year n half ago you were at MONASH... now you're at LATROBE...but wanna transfer back to LATROBE? Do you mean U wanna transfer back to MONASH?

Anyhow....Cant you just request a transcript for a specific degree? i.e law and finance, without Commerce...

Im sure if you did crap in a different degree it does not matter at all. Its what ur marks are now in the current degree u r doing because obviously you want to transfer to the same degree just different university..

e.g I want to transfer to UNSW from UWS Law n Arts (Psych) but to do so, I must uphold a credit average of my CURRENT combined degrees.

But even though u have a great mark I do not think this is reflected on your final transcript because you transferred so it will just come up as completed units, not the HD or D you received at your previous university.

Last edited:

Camleigh

HSC
Hey :)

If you are passing your subjects with flying colours now in this new course, they will be what is considered by the facaulty over at Monash. HOWEVER, I think any failed university units will show up somewhere along the line, and you are unlikely to receive any credit for them.

I think most unis look at difficult circumstances if you fill out an application for them to do so. Since you are receiving such high grades now, you should be able to get back into Monash.

I'm in second year at La Trobe and I haven't found the students particularly stupid or childish. My tute leaders have always been pretty good as well.

What year level are you in? I'm just curious as to which year group/tutors etc are causing problems...

Good luck! I hope you manage to learn in the environment which is best for YOU.

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
Hey, a year and a half ago I was studying Commerce at Monash, however because of personal reasons-drug/family related, I ended up failing everything at Monash during that time frame. I am now studying Finance/Law at Latrobe and have averaged a 80+ grade for all subjects for a year.

However, I want to transfer back to Latrobe, because there a too many idiots at Latrobe that make classes so slow acting like year 9's, especially on the business side of it. I'm yet to have A SINGLE tute teacher that can either properly understand English or gives two shits about what he is actually teaching. There is also no UNI games basketball team, for last two years, which is an absolute joke considering I was pushing pretty hard for a team last year, and the "president" promised we would have one this coming year. Complete laziness on his behalf, but that is what I have come to expect from Latrobe Uni.

As you can see I really want to get out of this University asap. I now want to transfer back to Monash, but am worried will my year of failing all those subjects appear on my new academic transcript. Or is there a way to start fresh if I were to be accepted back? And what do you think my chances are of being accepted back are?

Thanks any help is much appreciated.
You have an uphill battle I'm afraid.

There is a lot of demand for places in the LLB at Monash and they don't really need to take "risks" with people who have a red flag somewhere on their application.

Having said that, you will be able to write a letter to accompany your application for an external transfer place that explains the circumstances that led to you failing at Monash, and more importantly what has changed in your life to make sure that you will succeed in the future.

I would start by contacting either Kathleen Howard or Kelly Tsagournou at Monash Law Student Services. I know at least half a dozen students that have had extenuating circumstances that affected their grades at some stage of their university degree and were will accepted as external transfers.

Some friendly advice for your application - try not to come off as immature, or negative about your experience at La Trobe as you have done in this post. Complaining about the quality of your peers or your tutors won't send a good message, and from the university's perspective, whether or not a basketball team is sent to Unigames is completely out of their control and interest.

Gmac_0

HSC
I read somewhere that Law is moving to Caulfield in 2011. Anyone know if this is true? I'm currently at Caulfield doing Arts/Business and considering switching degrees at the end of the year, possibly Arts/Law, if I got the marks - whatever they are - and if this is true then it'd be better than the remoteness of Clayton.

hotdimsim

HSC
Monash University, Law

you would be correct. tbh i think this is a massive loss to the uni. clayton has by far the superior social scene and i prefer the campus feel of it compared to the crampy concrete jungle that is caulfield (no offence, just personal preference lol)

and i wonder how arts/law and sci/law and eng/law students are going to cope with constantly having to travel between campuses (~30min bus ride)

Gmac_0

HSC
Hmm, well I suppose some Clayton law people will be a little pissed, but Arts/Law shouldn't be too bad, as Arts is already held at Caulfield anyway, just less subjects to choose from I suspect. As for Caulfield being a concrete jungle - sort of true lol - there is a distinct lack of real lawns/grass, but from what I hear, Clayton has some fairly fugly buildings, plus its in Clayton lol.

dste6

HSC
Baiku is correct: the demand for Monash LLB has increased dramatically as a result of a proportion of school leavers opting away from the Melbourne Model. So is so pronounced that Monash have shut down graduate entry to their LLB, redirecting non-law graduates to the Monash JD (quite sensible imho). I believe they're still taking external transfers, however, I suspect it will be very competitive. You should try, but do so appreciating the situation.

Gmac_0 and hotdimsim: Unfortunately, widespread information on the Monash Law's move to Caulfield is not entirely accurate. The move was originally scheduled for 2012, as part of a major redevelopment to the Caulfield campus, including student accommodation and other shopping/commercial facilities. This failed because the development partner had fallen through (victim of GFC). While construction of the law building is entirely funded by the university, it cannot go ahead until another development partner is found. The move will be happening, just not any time in the near future.

Gmac_0

HSC
Ah ok thanks. Yes this fits with what I heard from a current law student who said that the plan was off due to a lack of funding. Also dste6 do you know if there is mid year entry to law internally? (after only one semester at Monash).

dste6

HSC
Mid year intake is sometimes available, however there is often very limited places. For instance, I recall last year the only places made available mid-year were for Eng/Law.

In any case, my understanding is that you need to have done at least 1 year of your current degree to be eligible for internal transfer. Your best off insuring that your marks are high and applying to transfer in 2011

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
Can confirm Dste's notes on the proposed move to Caulfield. I sat in on various faculty consultation meetings with architects over 2008-2009. The university has terminated its agreement with the proposed developer and the faculty will not be moving just yet. Having said that, law still has an 'under-rated' building and will be moving somewhere, sometime, probably in the next 10 years if I were to take a guess.

There are mid-year places available, probably in the vicinity of 40-50. i.e. 10% of the first year intake. You do need to have completed at least a year of credit in your other degree. They do not only take Eng/Law - don't know where you heard that but it is not correct.

dste6

HSC
There are mid-year places available, probably in the vicinity of 40-50. i.e. 10% of the first year intake. You do need to have completed at least a year of credit in your other degree. They do not only take Eng/Law - don't know where you heard that but it is not correct.
Baiku, you'll find my statement is correct. You may have misinterpreted; last year in particular there were no mid-year places offered other than for Eng/Law. My source was a Monash admissions officer.

In fact, this year there is no mid-year intake for Monash Law at all:

2010 Mid-year undergraduate direct application information and closing dates

Last edited:

Baiku

Coolest Member
HSC
Baiku, you'll find my statement is correct. You may have misinterpreted; last year in particular there were no mid-year places offered other than for Eng/Law. My source was a Monash admissions officer.

In fact, this year there is no mid-year intake for Monash Law at all:

If you say so mate - I only work there and happen to know the lecturer who is taking the mid-year intake introduction unit... I'm probably wrong.

dste6

HSC
I've provided you with evidence in that link. My answer is that, yes, you are probably wrong, unless you can explain why Monash's official mid-year intake page explicitly says:

"Faculty of Law

There are no undergraduate courses available for 2010 mid year entry at the Faculty of Law."

There's no need to be sarcastic and rude just because you want to assert your position. I'm not trying to put you down, I'm just trying to provide correct information. If you can provide some evidence as to why the officual publication is wrong, then I'll happily stand corrected. Otherwise, I suggest that we just leave this be.

blisto

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know if undergraduate LLB will still be offered at Monash in 2011?

kurtb22

HSC
MODS you've ignored all my msges. PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

Thank you

kurtb22

HSC
MODS you've ignored all my msges. PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

Thank you

(Prob only way to get your attention I can think of)

kurtb22

HSC
1MODS you've ignored all my msges. PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

Thank you

kurtb22

HSC
2MODS you've ignored all my msges. PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

Thank you

kurtb22

HSC
3. MODS you've ignored all my msges. PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

Thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)