Law Combos? Which is best? (1 Viewer)

cjdart

HSC
Hey.
Cant decide which law combo i want to do?
Tossing up between Law/Enviro Managment, Law/Social Science, Law/psych, and law/commerce.
Any opinions?

Thanks.

spence

HSC
do you really expect people on a forum to know what degree suits you best?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
cjdart said:
Hey.
Tossing up between Law/Enviro Managment, Law/Social Science, Law/psych, and law/commerce.
Any opinions?

Thanks.
Your options are extremely varied. Go with one that you are you likely to enjoy the most.

cjdart

HSC
i'm not asking you to tell me which degree i should do, as much as i would love for someone to be able to do.
All i'm asking is for individual opinions on the courses, bit of an insight, and how they complement a law degree.
so if anyone can help me out, i would really appreciate it.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
cjdart said:
Hey.
Any opinions?

Thanks.
I assume that Law/Enviro will open you up for work in environmental law, opportunities which are available in major law firms (when working assessing a client's environmental or OH&S obligations for example), to working for environment focused NGOs I would expect, fighting cases against pollution allegedly caused by corporation/factory process to ensure they conform with environmental legislation and policy. Or working in-house with corporations to advise them on their environmental-impact activities, or as a government advisor on these issues.

Law/Psych & Law/Social Science might get you into intellectual property law, medical law (lots of medical negligence/personal injury cases), law and ethics, community law, human rights law, criminal law etc. Law/SocSci might particularly give you an advantage if you go for policy-making/review/legislative positions in government, I think?

Law/Commerce is the most popular double degree of choice, if you go by BoS standards. Goes without saying that it opens you up for work in the commercial sector as accountants, economists, finance, banking. Or the commercial lawyers who advise these people.

Whichever double degree you choose will not close any opportunities if you decide to work in a different area. For example, if you completed a Law/Commerce degree, it doesn't mean that you can't work in environmental law or intellectual property or criminal law. Your second degree will not pigeonhole you so don't feel as if you really have to make a decision now that will lock you into that kind of job later.

Any law degree would also open you up to be a barrister too.

Last edited:

cjdart

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
I assume that Law/Enviro will open you up for work in environmental law, opportunities which are available in major law firms (when working assessing a client's environmental or OH&S obligations for example), to working for environment focused NGOs I would expect, fighting cases against pollution allegedly caused by corporation/factory process to ensure they conform with environmental legislation and policy. Or working in-house with corporations to advise them on their environmental-impact activities, or as a government advisor on these issues.

Law/Psych & Law/Social Science might get you into intellectual property law, medical law (lots of medical negligence/personal injury cases), law and ethics, community law, human rights law, criminal law etc. Law/SocSci might particularly give you an advantage if you go for policy-making/review/legislative positions in government, I think?

Law/Commerce is the most popular double degree of choice, if you go by BoS standards. Goes without saying that it opens you up for work in the commercial sector as accountants, economists, finance, banking. Or the commercial lawyers who advise these people.

Whichever double degree you choose will not close any opportunities if you decide to work in a different area. For example, if you completed a Law/Commerce degree, it doesn't mean that you can't work in environmental law or intellectual property or criminal law. Your second degree will not pigeonhole you so don't feel as if you really have to make a decision now that will lock you into that kind of job later.

Any law degree would also open you up to be a barrister too.
Thanks! Very helpful.

One more question if anyone can answer it- within the law/social science degree, which programs would be most suited to criminal law?

Thanks.

spence

HSC
cjdart said:
Thanks! Very helpful.

One more question if anyone can answer it- within the law/social science degree, which programs would be most suited to criminal law?

Thanks.
Criminology would obviously complement criminal law well, and can be done at UWS or UNSW
Edit: sorry didn't realise this was in the mac forum

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
cjdart said:
Thanks! Very helpful.

Thanks.
Completing the law degree is most suited to criminal law. The social science part may help you understand the causes and how society works in relation to those issues. The study of criminology is a subset of social science in that sense (there are B Criminology degrees too). So having a SocSci degree doesn't specifically lead to you a 'qualification' to practice criminal law, it's the law degree that opens that qualification for you, but your SocSci studies are relevant, looks good in your resume and it may help you have a deeper understanding of related issues. The same goes with studying the other double degrees.

Regarding criminal law, your Law/Psych background could easily help you in that area as well, especially if you go into forensic psychology.

Here's another example - you may yet end up in criminal law via a Law/Commerce degree, because your Law/Comm background could give you a deeper understanding when prosecuting or defending a case involving white collar / corporate crime.

cjdart

HSC
Thanks. Was really helpful.
I've decided to put down law/enviro mgt as my first preference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)