Law - credit average (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
For those who are doing combined law, how hard is it to maintain a credit average in the law units? (at least in the first year)

Considering I'd be just above the cut off assuming it doesn't change much) for a few programs it concerns me that I would probably be at the lower end of the scale.

thanks

Last edited:

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I just completed first year law units, and I don't think it's too hard to maintain a credit average at this level as long as you study hard, but it's kind of difficult to predict because for sem 1 I scraped through (jurisprudence was such a pain) and for sem 2 I ended up with distinction. But yeah, you will do fine, I'm getting by even though I only did standard english and got 91 uai when I did the HSC (I'm an international student so cut off was lower).

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Keep on top of your readings and assignments and you'll be fine, its not terribly difficult to maintain any sort of 'standard' just gotta know what boxes to tick off, so take first semester as a learning curve, ask questions of your tutor, etc see what style/how they mark essays and shit like that.

Also try and think of it as a culmination of things, rather than one final mark at the end, makes it easier.

dolbinau

HSC
misericordia said:
I just completed first year law units, and I don't think it's too hard to maintain a credit average at this level as long as you study hard, but it's kind of difficult to predict because for sem 1 I scraped through (jurisprudence was such a pain) and for sem 2 I ended up with distinction. But yeah, you will do fine, I'm getting by even though I only did standard english and got 91 uai when I did the HSC (I'm an international student so cut off was lower).
Thanks misericordia and AsyLum - what is painful about jurisprudence (difficult? boring? etc..)

Also, can you compare the kind of work involved in 1st year Law compared to HSC? I just don't know what to expect (i.e is it just reading text books, practicing exams etc..), again, I haven't really grasped what will be different about uni yet.

Tabris

HSC
Iwannarock can give u a comprehensive guide to surviving law school....

X

xeuyrawp

dolbinau said:
Thanks misericordia and AsyLum - what is painful about jurisprudence (difficult? boring? etc..)

Also, can you compare the kind of work involved in 1st year Law compared to HSC? I just don't know what to expect (i.e is it just reading text books, practicing exams etc..), again, I haven't really grasped what will be different about uni yet.
I personally don't think that the law work is difficult, there's just a lot to get through.

iwannarock

HSC
Tabris said:
Iwannarock can give u a comprehensive guide to surviving law school....
exactly.

i can give the comprehensive guide to surviving law with minimal effort.

i could write a book or a column.

but maintaining a credit average is a different story.

i think maintaining a credit average couldnt be that hard.

just do the work every week. do the readings. listen to lectures. preferably not all 12 of them the night before an exam.

the problem like pwar said is that theres just a lot to get trhough. and in 4th and 5th year when you do 3 or 4 law subjects at once that can be difficult to juggle them all.

there are some hard subjects though, property 1 and 2........remedies. where even getting a credit can be difficult if u never grasp the subject matter well.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
It depends on the university. You should look up the marking policy of your faculty. Some faculties like Syndey hand out 40%+ distinctions and high distinctions combined, and another 40% of credits. Others aren't as generous.

Tabris

HSC
1) listen to the lectures
2) read the textbook
3) read it again (coz first time, u only absorb half the stuff)
4) make notes
5) answer tute/prac ques

or you can just put it off till 2 weeks before final and then listen to 12 weeks lectures like what Iwannarock does.

He "almost" maintained a Cr average this sem!

dolbinau

HSC
or you can just put it off till 2 weeks before final and then listen to 12 weeks lectures like what Iwannarock does.

hehe. What I don't understand is do people end up losing interest in stuyding at Uni? I don't understand why people just skip lectures? (I assume they become redundant and boring) - I'll have to experience it first hand though.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Go to class and do the readings. Participate in class and you wont have to study too much for exams because its hard to cram. If you do all of that you should have a credit average.

Yes its harder in first year because you are adapting to uni life but keep your confidence up (because sometimes you wont get the marks you want), take on board constructive criticism and don't fall into the trap that no one checks you have done your work

dolbinau said:
hehe. What I don't understand is do people end up losing interest in stuyding at Uni? I don't understand why people just skip lectures? (I assume they become redundant and boring) - I'll have to experience it first hand though.
With law especially its the length, your friends who do three year courses graduate and you stil have two years left. Also uni goes at an incredible pace, your work your arse of for 13 weeks + exams and don't have much time to stop, yes you get long holidays but you do all the work in a short period of time. You also have to do subjects you dont want and often have to deal with crap lecturers.

Last edited:

iwannarock

HSC
Tabris said:
1 mark off.

and dispute res of all things.

i took it for granted. did the journal and exam really half assed.

i still cant get over litigation.

dolbinau

HSC
miss-smexy said:
Lol it really doesn't matter whether you just meet cut off or not. UAI doesn't really play a part in whether you'll end up getting distinctions or passes.

For law, from what i've experienced (first year), you have to be able to analyse well, argue consistently.
Thankyou. This is encouraging :p.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)