Law: is it better to be good at a mid uni or mid at a good uni? (1 Viewer)

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
@mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa can u get in here. So this is a random question, but out of these two options what would look more favourable on a cv: a distinction average at UTS or Macquarie law… or a credit/pass average at UNSW?

I mean if I get the option of UNSW I’d still go there nonetheless.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
@mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa can u get in here. So this is a random question, but out of these two options what would look more favourable on a cv: a distinction average at UTS or Macquarie law… or a credit/pass average at UNSW?

I'm gonna say the distinction > pass just because if your marks are low your uni isn't magically gonna make you look like an amazing lawyer, idk about the credit though it might be close

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Is it hard to get distinctions at unsw?
as far as I’m aware, the marking is different at usyd/unsw to macq/uts - bell curve marking … although not sure how accurate this all is.

your other degree (commerce?) can always pick your wam up, distinctions aren’t too hard. I would say it’s doable for law, but going for hd is where it gets hard

liamkk112

HSC

i dont know that much about law but i cant understand why a pass would be better than a distinction regardless of the university. its a bit silly, its like if u went to james ruse and then u only got a 80 atar, should the fact that youve attended james ruse automatically supersede your marks and be thought of as the same level of marks as someone from a lower ranking school who achieved 90+?

im obviously not a law employer nor someone who is super knowledgeable about the law industry, but surely an employer would more strongly consider someone with high marks compared to someone who is just passing by, as it shows that they have a higher likelihood of having passion and care for the subject, which naturally would translate to someone who is passionate and can deliver well in a job. if youre looking to go to a "big firm" where prestige matters i dont think its the simple fact that the majority of people working there are from unsw/usyd, its likely that they went to unsw/usyd AND also got really good grades and potentially other extracurricular stuff, not just that "unsw and usyd = good". prestige does for sure play a part, but i can't really see how it would matter so much that a 50% mark would be ignored or overlooked due to your university.

liamkk112

HSC
Think you may have to look at it a little differently in the ruse example. you need a brutal 99.5 to get in at usyd. Then you are bell curved. UTS with bonus points is way way less and your law cohort did not get 99.5 or above. You just can’t compare. Think law employment is consciously biased to the top Unis. anything else is copium.
i understand that, but i still think that a pass at usyd is worse than a distinction at macquarie/uts. ik that larger/more competitive law firms are quite biased when it comes to the top unis, but if you're competing for a less prestigious law firm then i dont think they would think a pass is better than a distinction simply based on the university; hence why i said

" if youre looking to go to a 'big firm' where prestige matters i dont think its the simple fact that the majority of people working there are from unsw/usyd, its likely that they went to unsw/usyd AND also got really good grades and potentially other extracurricular stuff, not just that 'unsw and usyd = good' "

you have a good point that the cohort at usyd is already quite academically strong due to the high atar entry, however i think a 50% on your record wouldn't exactly help you surpass someone with a 75-85% on their record, even if u did go to the top unis; i think thats a fair enough assumption.

to make my point as specific as possible, the most prestigious law firms might cherry pick graduates from usyd/unsw, but those graduates would also likely have a distinction/high distinction average, so a pass would effectively make applying for the more prestigious law firms irrelevant as you would be instantly rejected due to the competitiveness of the firms. hence the only situation we are considering here is those firms that are not as prestigious, and i think in that case they would absolutely take the higher marks, despite the fact that the uni is less prestigious.

sheppy123

HSC
Think you may have to look at it a little differently in the ruse example. you need a brutal 99.5 to get in at usyd. Then you are bell curved. UTS with bonus points is way way less and your law cohort did not get 99.5 or above. You just can’t compare. Think law employment is consciously biased to the top Unis. anything else is copium.
i think you're overrating the prestige a little TOO much

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

An 80 law average at UTS/MQ would definitely be more attractive than a 60 law average at USYD/UNSW.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
And a 90 average at Aust Catholic University is better than 80 average at UTS/MQ
You'd be surprised that there are rare, say, WSU students who end up at top-tier law firms which plenty of UNSW/USYD students couldn't get into.

UTS HD < Usyd Pass and UNSW pass
Usyd > UNSW
Macquarie is > UTS
Macquarie HD is > UNSW pass and = to Usyd pass

I’d rather be a benchwarmer and get the odd game for Man City vs being a star striker at Queens Park Rangers
If USYD is Real Madrid and UNSW is Man City, then Macquarie would be Spurs and UTS would be Barcelona.

I'd rather be a stand out player at Spurs or Barca than a medicore benchwarmer at Real or Man City even if Real and Man City are the very top teams consistently.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
You'd be surprised that there are rare, say, WSU students who end up at top-tier law firms which plenty of UNSW/USYD students couldn't get into.

If USYD is Real Madrid and UNSW is Man City, then Macquarie would be Spurs and UTS would be Barcelona.

I'd rather be a stand out player at Spurs or Barca than a medicore benchwarmer at Real or Man City even if Real and Man City are the very top teams consistently.
no bad analogy

UTS would be something like Brighton or Aston Villa. I’d say MACQ is maybe benfica/ajax. USYD is Real Madrid and UNSW is maybe Bayern

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)