Law school leeches (1 Viewer)

capa

HSC
Hey,

There are these guys at school, every time there is a take home exam or essay I can always count on at least one of them to give me a call (out of the blue) practically hours before the assessment is due and ask me to e-mail my answers to them. They say they'll change it around so there'll be no plagiarism etc etc that they've had family problems etc etc. Of course, I don't give them my answers and that gets them worked up.... to say the least.

However, this really gets me to the pit of my stomach. I hate these guys with a passion. These guys are textbook bloodsuckers and users - not sure why they're doing law. Only guess is to impress Daddy and Mummy.

Anyone else encounter these type of people? What do you do?

Curious if any other law schools have these types - how on earth do they get in and stay in?

All the best for christmas!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
in my case, it happens to be cute-evil-shang-girls.

the best way to deal with it is to excommunicate them.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
capa said:
Hey,

There are these guys at school, every time there is a take home exam or essay I can always count on at least one of them to give me a call (out of the blue) practically hours before the assessment is due and ask me to e-mail my answers to them. They say they'll change it around so there'll be no plagiarism etc etc that they've had family problems etc etc. Of course, I don't give them my answers and that gets them worked up.... to say the least.

However, this really gets me to the pit of my stomach. I hate these guys with a passion. These guys are textbook bloodsuckers and users - not sure why they're doing law. Only guess is to impress Daddy and Mummy.

Curious if any other law schools have these types - how on earth do they get in and stay in?

At UNSW I know a guy who charges around $500 per assignment.

^___^
HSC
that kind of things happen to almost every faculty, not just in law

i know a few in maths/comp..although most are due to the lack of ability to do the actual assignment

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Who cares? It's their problem; not yours. Exchange can be a good thing though, I have a few friends who I usually exchange my cribs with. And as I've said before, if you can shower desperate members of the opposite sex with reams of law notes - giving up your work becomes SO worth it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
neo_o said:
And as I've said before, if you can shower desperate members of the opposite sex with reams of law notes - giving up your work becomes SO worth it.
i think you're missing the proposition "with" between "shower" and "desperate".

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Frigid said:
i think you're missing the proposition "with" between "shower" and "desperate".
Indeed! I would love to be showered with desperate girls! Perhaps cute evil shang girls?

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
So this still happens at uni ARG! I used to hate it when certain members from my legal class who never spoke to me on msn would initiate a convo at the last minute with "quick, you're good at legal give me some help" now i dont mind helping someone out but not when i have my own stuff to do, they use me or when they have not even started and want me to do it for them :rolleyes:

Demandred

HSC
Have you ever told them that you're not helping them in such a manner and to leave you alone? Of course, you could point them in the right direction and remind them that the favour is expected to be repaid with interest, if not, you're going to tell the lecturer :).

Oh btw, what are evil shang girls?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Generally people are only willing to help or share if there is something in it for them.

I help people to a certain extent. But only close friends.

Personally it is much more fulfilling to do the work yourself rather than relying on other peoples notes.

Demandred

HSC
Damn Frigid! I am very dissappointed at you, what opportunities forgone!
I was at Shanghai a week ago, everything you said, just remove the cute part.

In reply to the second part of the question, the people I study with are honest and people of good character. I guess this behavoir comes with very high levels of competition. Which uni do you go to? My impression is MacqDonalds.

Last edited:

prosaic

HSC
capa said:
Obviously they got in by calling up some poor high school kid several hours before HSC and/or trial exams asking for drafted syllabus dot point answers.

capa said:
I usually say, "fuck off you dirty academic leech": it usually works.

capa said:
Ditto :)

X

xeuyrawp

... said:
that kind of things happen to almost every faculty, not just in law
Me too...

I hate it when people just immediately ask for the easy way out. I prefer people to ask constructive questions so they can learn from the assignments.

santaslayer

HSC
You can always exchange stuff with them. I give you essay, you gimmie some bunga bunga...?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I'm sorry to say this happens everywhere and is not just 'law leeches'. I have had random people on my msn list that I never talk to message me the night before a major assignment is due asking for help at which point I have to conveniently leave refusing to give them help and NO answers.

There are ways of dealing with this and channels to go through might be an idea to talk to your lecturer make sure they are aware of this because these students simply are not learning for the assessments\assignments and isn’t that what they are for to support learning made in the classroom or lecture theater.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

santaslayer said:
You can always exchange stuff with them. I give you essay, you gimmie some bunga bunga...?
Lol... That's the attitude I need.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
capa said:
Yeah I get this too... I give my notes to friends and just ignore everyone else.

I can't stand people who believe that every subject is somehow inherently 'rly hard' or who believe that they are incapable of making their own good notes (when they haven't even tried).

There are so many law students who don't seem to understand that the whole raison d'etre for their degree is not, in fact, to memorise the law, or to inflate some meaningless figures on a soon-to-be-outdated transcript, but to learn a wide range of problem-solving and analytical skills instead.

*sigh* They frustrate me. :(

santaslayer

HSC
Usually the smart people experience this problem.

I do, but only from people on BoS. I get randoms a lot of the time on my MSN list. I never get asked for massive help from uni friends. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)