Law through fiction and non-fiction (1 Viewer)

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
We've all been inspired at some stage in our lives by a novel, a film, a play or even a real news story. Whatever the medium, the desire of students to study law has no doubt stemmed in part from exposure to great tales of the legal system through ficiton and non ficition. The following list outlines a few of the novels, plays and films that drew me into pursuing a career in law.

Novels
The Last Juror - Grisham
To Kill a Mockingbird

Plays
12 Angry Men

Films
Erin Brockovich
Philadelphia
A Few Good Men

The list is incomplete, but these are a few of the important ones.

Which novels/plays/films/story helped you in choosing law as a future career path? Do you recommend any good novels/plays/films?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Prior to transferring to law, I actually always thought law was a dry and boring discipline.

Then I had a taste of the actual subject matter when I did a business law subject in contract law. It was only then that I become thoroughly enamoured with it and decided that this was the field for me.

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
It might have been a film....I read the play, but I will definitely hunt down the film. I have seen bits of "The Castle". I may hire it some time and I'll certainly look out for that ABC movie. How about Law and Order, JAG, Judge Judy(lol), anyone like those?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Oh I love a few good men!!! I think I was attracted by many things and had a very romantic view of the legal profession and system. I am glad though that for the most part my passion has remained after studying law for a year.

Don't forget Boston Legal!

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Alan Dershowitz - Letters to a Young Lawyer (wouldn't recommend - nothing very revelatory in here)

Kafka - The Trial (interesting examination of a legal system in a totalitarian state)

Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment (not really about law specifically but fascinating study of morality and justice)

Sadakat Kadri - The Trial - A History from Socrates to OJ Simpson (halfway through this at the moment, first few chapters bit dull but certain parts are fascinating)

Neil Chenoweth - Packer's Lunch (My favourite book of 2006, a boisterous look at real Sydney wealth. Mainly focusses on Richardson, Rivkin and Kennedy but some cameos by prominent lawyers, including the one and only Theo Onisforou known amongst barristers as 'Dishonestforou'. Highly recommended book)

Also 'The West Wing' often brings up fascinating American Constitutional Law conundrums albeit slightly far-fetched.

L

LaraB

I wouldn't say so much that they "inspired" me to do law, more just interesting i guess...

But i'd have to say all the above... minus legally blonde :p

Plus The Crucible; A Time to Kill; Mississippi Burning - not really about the court case itself I know but it could still be called "legal non-fiction" i suppose; The Rainmaker; The Trial - old Orson Wells movie but really interesting; I Am Sam - I plan on going into family law partly so yeah :p ; High Crimes; In the Heat of the night - not "legal" per se but still law related and really good :)

There's heaps of really good legal fiction/non-fiction out there :) Some of teh classics are awesome too - Plato's "The Laws" if you're after a more non-fiction style is really interesting :)

The trial speeches of Socrates and others are a really interesting read too, although if you did them for HSC english you're probably sick of them like me lol

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
I translated Cicero's speeches from "Pro Caelio" in Latin last year. He's a really persuasive orator. Back in the day law was all about how well you used language persuasively rather than the points you make.

Side note: Got into BComm/LLB at UoM and Uni of Adel

L

LaraB

trishan said:
I translated Cicero's speeches from "Pro Caelio" in Latin last year. He's a really persuasive orator. Back in the day law was all about how well you used language persuasively rather than the points you make.

lol "Back in the day" - you must never have seen a good barrister/solicitor at work :p

Pr0digy

Veritas Lux Mea
HSC
trishan said:

Well, I'd imagine these days it's both having a good mastery of spoken language as well as the points you make? ;)

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
Did anyone watch CH9's sneak peak at Justice. Looks like an awesome show.
There's also another reality show coming to nine which documents real life cases in court.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
to kill a mockingbird and 12 angry men were probably what opened my eyes to law. law and order SVU perhaps and john travolta's 'A Civil Trial' gave a pretty good insight into the law of negligence and stimulated a little interest, though the lawyer role didn't quite suit him - you'd expect him to jump onto the table at court and start singing grease lightning or something but a fair movie nonetheless. finally, A Few GOod Men gave me the impression that if i studied law then eventually I might get a chance to go on impossible missions.

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
MichaelJackson2 said:
the lawyer role didn't quite suit him - you'd expect him to jump onto the table at court and start singing grease lightning or something
LOL :lol:

dissipate

HSC
N/A
no books/plays/shows contributed to my decision to choose to study law.. however, i have enjoyed

TV: The Practice, Boston Legal, Judge Judy
Movies: Erin Brockovitch, Philadelphia, A Civil Action, The Client, A Few Good Men
Books: Class Action

trishan

Melbourne Private Tutor
HSC
Uni Grad
I hear Erin Brockovitch is around trying to raise awareness for global warming, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)