Law - Transferring (1 Viewer)

miss_rachel

Hey
I'm doing my HSC this year, and I am really keen to do arts/law at UQ, but the UAI is pretty high, somewhere between 98 and 99. I think I can get close to that, but I might fall a bit short.
I was wondering what the drill is with transferring to Law. Would I be better off to just get into Arts at UQ, and then try to add Law on and do my double degree. OR would I be better off to get into law at another Uni, like Griffith or QUT, and then try to transfer to UQ from there?

Thankyou sooooo much

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
depends

if you do the arts/law degree at the other university, if you fail to me the requirements to transfer, at least you're still in a combined law degree and not just a straight arts degree

if you do the arts degree at UQ you wouldn't lose any time (in theory) by transferring to the arts/law degree after first year (because even though you would have done no law units, you would have done more arts units than the people doing arts/law after one year). However if you transfer from another uni, there is a chance that not all of your units will count as credit.

i had this decision to make. it was either commerce at sydney or commerce/law at macquarie. i chose commerce/law at macq and I'm glad I did. I think it's also safer because if I found that I hated law at least I could ditch it, as opposed to transferring INTO something that I might dislike.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by miss_rachel
Hey
I'm doing my HSC this year, and I am really keen to do arts/law at UQ, but the UAI is pretty high, somewhere between 98 and 99. I think I can get close to that, but I might fall a bit short.
I was wondering what the drill is with transferring to Law. Would I be better off to just get into Arts at UQ, and then try to add Law on and do my double degree. OR would I be better off to get into law at another Uni, like Griffith or QUT, and then try to transfer to UQ from there?

Thankyou sooooo much

Yea, what i would be doing would be to combine arts with something else.....at least ur not going straight arts and have something to fall back on!

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
Depends on how much you value the law degree, since you're doing arts/law, I would assume you value the law degree greatly so you would be better off doing arts/law at another uni and try to transfer

However you should note that (maybe you're an exception) high grades in law may be more difficult to come by than arts, thus your chances of a successful transfer may be improved if you start with a straight BA.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Do Arts/Law then try and transfer to a different uni, because getting a 'Sorry, you're transfer to this uni was not accepted' is better than a 'Sorry, you're transfer from arts to arts/law was not accepted' because at least you're still doing arts/law somewhere.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
erm it depends on your uai and how determined you are to do arts/law at the uni of your choice
if you just do a straight arts degree, you can still go to the uni you want, and it'll be easier to get the marks you need to transfer with arts subjects than law subjects. if you don't get to transfer, just finish your arts degree and do postgrad law... it's only one year more than the combined degree plus you won't end up somewhere you don't like.

miss_rachel

So will it be much easier to get into postgrad law? I heard somewhere that it was. Anyone have any idea how well I;d have to do in my Arts to get into post grad law?
If it's only one year extra to do law post grad then that would be ok. I'd like to get my arts out of the way first anyway.
I spose that if I got desperate to do law and couldn't get in at UQ then I could try Griffith, entry flexibility there is pretty good isn't it?
I'll just have to work really really hard I guess.
:read:

santaslayer

HSC
Postgrad law is still very competitive...i dont think its any much easier.....u'd still have to attain super dooper marks with ur BArts.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)